Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tend to have two kinds of cars - those that serve the "appliance" role, and those that satisfy my gearhead tendencies and plan to keep. I'm not one to turn cars frequently. It usually takes several years for me to decide, but it's strongly looking like my Cayman will be in the "keeper" category (along with my Land Cruiser, which I've now had for 24 years).

We've not yet owned an EV, but I could easily see our appliance car going electric when its due to be replaced.

I think it'll be super interesting to see how this plays out.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
While generally correct, conversion is very cheap (last I heard was around 1,700-2,000 Euro but that was quite some time ago) and you get dual-fuel. It is just like small battery hybrid - you get maybe 100 miles range on CNG then it seamlessly switches to gas if you cannot fill up.

While back, it would always start on gasoline anyway, so you had to have some fuel in the tank. Also while back, some underground parking was off-limits for CNG vehicles.

Tank was a torus shape always placed where spare tire goes. Not that we have that room anymore anyway ...

I always questioned mental sanity of USA as a country that is named "Saudi Arabia of natural gas" and has less than 100 private vehicles that are running on CNG. AND has no conversions available. When you add witch burning war on diesel, one has to seriously consider fat cats malfeasance, collusion and criminal actions. Sorry, not a tin foil hat society here, but if you hear hooves in Montana, think horse, not zebra.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
If conversion was even “cheap” NG is not cheap and likely not be cost effective. We have lots but it’s not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
In terms of my Cayman, yes.

The Macan is likely to be replaced by an Ev, but not real soon.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If conversion was even “cheap” NG is not cheap and likely not be cost effective. We have lots but it’s not cheap.
Remember when incandescent light bulbs costed about a buck - two? When was the last time you tried to buy those? It is easy to pay $15 for 4 of them now. Did they change and improve that much? No, they needed to cost as much as LED lightbulbs in order for people to buy them (LEDs).

Remember ... when you hear hooves in Montana, think collusion, not market forces.

By the way, I just asked my friend in Italy who actually owns Fiat Panda with conversion to let me know fuel cost per mile for gas and CNG. As soon as he replies, I will let you know. Back in the '90s it was around 1/3 to 1/2 cost of using gasoline. We'll see what he says.

But all of that is totally futile - you are not even allowed to compare prices. It is verboten (by being unavailable), period.

EDIT: Friend replied. Basically, with 1 Euro he can drive 20 km on CNG and about 9+ km on gasoline. But even that is not much because gasoline is taxed a lot more in EU and I have no idea what tax would be applied to CNG for transportation here because there is none to buy for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Remember when incandescent light bulbs costed about a buck - two? When was the last time you tried to buy those? It is easy to pay $15 for 4 of them now. Did they change and improve that much? No, they needed to cost as much as LED lightbulbs in order for people to buy them (LEDs).

Remember ... when you hear hooves in Montana, think collusion, not market forces.
WTF? It's been years since I tried to buy incandescent bulbs, because they suck. LEDs are far better for 99% of applications.

And because this is a widely-held opinion, incandescent bulb manufacture has lost 99% of its economy of scale. That's why they're so expensive. The volume's no longer there. Not because the Clintons and the Bilderbergs are blackmailing the manufacturers with their space lasers. 🙄

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
WTF? It's been years since I tried to buy incandescent bulbs, because they suck. LEDs are far better for 99% of applications.

And because this is a widely-held opinion, incandescent bulb manufacture has lost 99% of its economy of scale. That's why they're so expensive. The volume's no longer there. Not because the Clintons and the Bilderbergs are blackmailing the manufacturers with their space lasers.
Not arguing which one is better, but I find very hard to believe that up to 200% increase in price is "market" owed.

Corrections for low volume are to be expected, but not in that range. IMO, of course.

Do you really think that, if ICE cars double to quadruple in price in 7-8 years, that will be because of market forces? Nah, 50% maybe, but not 100 - 200 %.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

41 - 46 of 46 Posts