Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wind noise and buffeting (cavitation) on my 718 was absolutely driving me crazy, to the point that I couldn't drive with the windows open. I purchased the AWE wind diffuser and had it put on today. The installation took about 10 minutes and the difference is incredible. Why doesn't Porsche have this on every car as standard equipment?

Reactions: CaptLeslie

·
Registered
349 Posts
Or just design the cars so it doesn't happen in the first place! Was not a major issue until Porsche moved the mirrors with the 991/981. At least on my 991.2 I can tilt the sunroof. Plus I don't track it so I'm not hitting triple digits with the windows down.

It's a legit safety hazard IMO. In this day and age I could see it resulting in a lawsuit. The first time I really experienced it was on the track in my buddy's 991.2 GT3. I was flying down the straight on my first hot lap. Small track so you only hit about 120 if you really hustle. I was blowing down the straight heading for turn 1, where you need to be in the low 70s to make it. I blew past 100 and all of the sudden the world went blurry and my head felt like it was going to explode. I couldn't really see anything. Thank goodness I was able to lay on the brakes and get enough equilibrium back to make the corner. The rest of the session I toyed around on the straight to see where it really got bad. The buffeting would start getting bad around 96 and go all out intolerable around 106. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or just design the cars so it doesn't happen in the first place! Was not a major issue until Porsche moved the mirrors with the 991/981. At least on my 991.2 I can tilt the sunroof. Plus I don't track it so I'm not hitting triple digits with the windows down.

It's a legit safety hazard IMO. In this day and age I could see it resulting in a lawsuit. The first time I really experienced it was on the track in my buddy's 991.2 GT3. I was flying down the straight on my first hot lap. Small track so you only hit about 120 if you really hustle. I was blowing down the straight heading for turn 1, where you need to be in the low 70s to make it. I blew past 100 and all of the sudden the world went blurry and my head felt like it was going to explode. I couldn't really see anything. Thank goodness I was able to lay on the brakes and get enough equilibrium back to make the corner. The rest of the session I toyed around on the straight to see where it really got bad. The buffeting would start getting bad around 96 and go all out intolerable around 106. Scary stuff.
Totally agree, simply bad design. The buffeting in the 718 comes on as low as 50 mph. It was painful. If Porsche won’t fix this, the diffuser is a cheap and easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
This was a simple fix, but should be standard from Porsche.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This was a simple fix, but should be standard from Porsche.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I used AWE, looked a bit more like an OEM part to me and cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I looked at those and chose Blackmill just because it used 3M adhesive and I didn’t have to remove my lane assist indicator to mount the wind deflector. I am mechanically challenged! You are right the AWE looks more OEM, but I was very pleased with how mine looks and works!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I looked at those and chose Blackmill just because it used 3M adhesive and I didn’t have to remove my lane assist indicator to mount the wind deflector. I am mechanically challenged! You are right the AWE looks more OEM, but I was very pleased with how mine looks and works!
I guess it’s different on the 718. I have LCA but not effected, in mirror now. Simply removed the OEM part and replaced it with new one.

I am also mechanically challenged. I had an indie shop do it, took them like 5 minutes.

Reactions: CaptLeslie

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the top down there is less wind and noise, but is not as noticeable as the difference with top up and windows down. I was never bothered by the wind no matter what configuration I drove , but my wife is sensitive to the wind in her face as it swirls around the cockpit. This helped her quite a bit! I would never have done this add on for myself, but “Happy Wife Happy Life”!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I bought the AWE version, but haven't been able to install. My car is the more difficult of the two versions. One of these days I'll get to it.

I used AWE, looked a bit more like an OEM part to me and cheaper.

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just cut and bent a couple of small pieces of kydex (heat set plastic) and slid them between the rubber and the triangle pieces at the front of the window. They work fine, took me about 30 minutes to make, and cost nothing (I had the kydex left over).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my Macan GTS. I wonder what they changed on the 718? My '08 Cayman S doesn't have any buffeting issues at all.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wonder what they changed on the 718? My '08 Cayman S doesn't have any buffeting issues at all.
Look where the side mirrors attach to the car on your 987. Now look where the side mirrors attach on a 718. That's your answer. The problem was introduced when the attachment point was changed for the 991/981 generations.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, yes, you can avoid paying for a part that looks OEM and go through all kinds of permutations to avoid paying for a part but, for me, spending $80 for the part and having an indie put it on for $20 was well worth the trouble.

Great, now I have to buy a 3D printer! ;)

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
The wind noise and buffeting (cavitation) on my 718 was absolutely driving me crazy, to the point that I couldn't drive with the windows open. I purchased the AWE wind diffuser and had it put on today. The installation took about 10 minutes and the difference is incredible. Why doesn't Porsche have this on every car as standard equipment?
So on your 2019 718 the installation is the one with the 'visible' screw and you don't have to take the inner door apart?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correct, literally took less than 10 minutes. The shop had quoted $20 but took nothing because it was so simple.

So on your 2019 718 the installation is the one with the 'visible' screw and you don't have to take the inner door apart?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts