Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While loving pretty much everything about my new car, with the weather turning cold I'm finding the wind noise from the soft top a bit distracting. (I had a hard top on my Z3 for the winter, guess that's no an option for the 981).

Is this just "part of the package", or are there adjustments for this that the dealer can make? (I seem to remember in the BMW the dealer was able to cinch the windows up closer to the car to reduce noise like this.

It's not bad under 70, but from 70 on up it gets a bit distracting.

Clearly, it's not serious enough to say... buy a Cayman... so don't even go there ;)

Just curious if anyone has an advice on this.

thanks!
-rich

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I was under the impression that the boxsters roof panels were solid and just covered with material. I guess they still let some air into the cabin bloke the convertible hard top you mentioned.

While loving pretty much everything about my new car, with the weather turning cold I'm finding the wind noise from the soft top a bit distracting. (I had a hard top on my Z3 for the winter, guess that's no an option for the 981).

Is this just "part of the package", or are there adjustments for this that the dealer can make? (I seem to remember in the BMW the dealer was able to cinch the windows up closer to the car to reduce noise like this.

It's not bad under 70, but from 70 on up it gets a bit distracting.

Clearly, it's not serious enough to say... buy a Cayman... so don't even go there ;)

Just curious if anyone has an advice on this.

thanks!
-rich

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Mine has a little wind noise at speed, too.

Reactions: 981FTW

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Evidently mine is not so bad that I remember it. I do know that I end up turing up the volume on whatever I am listening to .... so maybe what I am accepting as normal you would find be noisy. I've only owned a couple of convertibles over the years but this one seems much much quieter than any of the others at highway speeds (70 - 80).

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Mine is quiet. I am not experiencing any real noise, vibration etc. I've had my car up to 160mph with the top up and frankly thought the minor roof noise was quiet compared to the tire noise.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I dont notice any additional noise from the soft top at speed.

I would suspect that its not the soft top but normal aerodynamic noise and a Cayman would be similar.

Reactions: 981FTW

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I don't notice any wind noise at speed. There are lots of other noises such as engine, exhaust, tires, nagging passenger, ... but for sure the dominant noise is not wind.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Same here ... engine noise, road noise, my wife, but no wind noise from the top that I've ever noticed.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
2014 boxster

I hear people say soft top has wind noise...even in reviews...thing is...I have zero so I don't get it. Even going 80 MPH on the interstate I don't hear it. Engine, exhaust, and tire noise is all I hear... or music. If its a really windy day, I may hear wind noise, but that coming from the window/ side mirrors. This 'soft top' car has less wind noise than my 2011 VW GOLF TDI (still a quieter car because it has less tire/ engine noise). Tires are the loudest and wish they were quieter... maybe getting Michelin will help on my next set...also depends on the road quality. I like hearing the exhaust/ engine.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Not much to add to the thread -- everyone has covered it pretty well -- my experience parallels theirs -- I will add this tho -- if you find a boxster noisy you would likely enjoy a caymen even less -- as covered in numerous other threads -- I owned, and found my 981 caymen s noisier than my 981 boxster s -- and not in a good way.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I had it over 70 mph quite a bit on my drive home from Ohio, no wind noise, it was as quiet as my previous hardtop SLK with top up. Down down is a different story. The only noise is the Pirelli's, wished Porsche would change to Michellins for OEM tires.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
None that I've ever noticed on mine. Can you tell if it's coming from the top itself, or the mirror area?
I think I tracked it today - it's just behind my ear (trailing edge of the window)

I see that the doors are cleverly designed to fit up into slots in the soft top, this seem to work well around the top, but the trailing edge just sits on the rubber seal. I've placed a little more rubber seal there just to see what it does.
Will report back.

Overall the roof on the 981 is a marvel of engineering and I cannot complain, but we're planning a long trip and it would be nice if the whistle could be silenced at highway speeds.

Reactions: Ynot

·
Registered
107 Posts
The window seal angle has some adjustment according to the service advisor at my dealer and they offered to adjust it to minimize noise at speed as under warranty.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I had it over 70 mph quite a bit on my drive home from Ohio, no wind noise, it was as quiet as my previous hardtop SLK with top up. Down down is a different story. The only noise is the Pirelli's, wished Porsche would change to Michellins for OEM tires.
Has anyone definitively established that Michelin Pilot Sports are quieter than the Pirellis on our cars? The problem with the usual tire anecdotes is that they always seem to compare worn-out tire X with the brand-new tire Y that replaced it. Of course tire 'Y' always wins.

Are there officially-N-rated Michelins yet in the 19" size?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent - I will do the same, it seems like it just needs a minor adjustment to seal out the exiting air.
Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Me too, thanks!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
My previous 05 Boxster did not exhibit any additional wind noise at high speeds. I thought the top was very well made for a rag top!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts