Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The passenger window on my 2007 Cayman S suddenly started making scratchy/clunky noises and then the window pretty much seized up shortly thereafter. I know this is typical of a window regulator, but I don't know if I should be buying both the regulator AND the motor, or just the regulator? Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance!
adr3naline

·
Registered
89 Posts
sometimes its hard to diagnose exactly what you need. typically if you hear the motor i'd suggest it would be the regulator. This isn't always the case. Perhaps the window isn't sitting properly in its track? It could also be the gear or clutch. I'm not sure how the cayman is setup but a call to your porsche dealers service department may be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I can hear the motor *try* to move the window, but there seems to be great resistance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds like a typical regulator. Take the door trim down and look into it. You may have to unseal the door. These window motors are pretty powerful and are protected by fuse and circuit overload. The gear on the regulator is plastic and wears out. Known issue on German cars. Wear out on the motor gear is unusual but not impossible.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I have had luck fixing regulators on other (non Porsche) vehicles by lubricating the regulator cable in the track. In my case the window would not move at all. I don't know what the Porsche regulator is like but the ones I fixed this way were working when I sold the vehicle. The cable was stranded steel. I just sprayed a bunch of white lithium grease in the track and on the cable. The cable soaked up the grease like a sponge. In your case this is assuming that something else is not actually broken.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
its likely the cable is already jammed. you probably need a new regulator.
here are some links that you may find useful on the same topic. there is also a link to pelican article.
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...window-regulator-replacement.html#post1486849

i've seen some repair kits on eBay that replace the broken plastic parts and cable but have no idea if that will fix your issue as it depends whats actually damaged. its a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same symptoms in the past winter. It was a regulator. The motor tries to move the window, so it is okay, but the cable is gone the window does not move. Cost me about 260 euros to change it including work. Not a big deal. As far as I know there is no aftermarket part but only OE

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow up: It was a cable in the regulator. Now all good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On the top of window issues; Very infrequently if I hit both auto up switches for the windows the passenger window decides 'nope' and immediately goes down and then the auto up does not work and you have to hold the switch. Has anyone else seen this? It is very odd and I do not like to discuss weird electrical gremlins for fear of them returning.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes, I seen this happen on mine. It is rare but does happen every so often. After the widow gets to the top, It goes back to normal on a second attempt. There was a thread on window software gremlins years back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ordered a replacement from A1 Auto, had professional install it. Since it's aftermarket, it's not perfect and sometimes makes a funny creak. I suggest ordering OEM.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ordered a replacement from A1 Auto, had professional install it. Since it's aftermarket, it's not perfect and sometimes makes a funny creak. I suggest ordering OEM.
Haha was just looking on A1’s site early, was a little sketched out. Thanks for the tip, I’ll probably bring it to the shop since those door card clips are my worst enemy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.