Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that while pressing on the passenger window button, the passenger side window makes a Cracking noise, crack crack crack while going up or down. It moves the window with force but it does that noise and sometimes when trying to put the window up, it goes halfway and the down and then up. The motor seems strong so Im guessing its the cables holding the window. I tried removing the seal between the door and window mechanism but cant get any closer because of the airbag on the door. I dont want to touch them being affraid they'll blow up. Has anybody had this problem before? Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've not experienced the sounds that you describe, but the window regulator (the cable assembly that moves the window up/down) may be failing.

The cables are spring loaded to maintain the proper tension even as the cables stretch over time. However, if the cable is stretched too much or has broken strands, or maybe one of the pulleys is failing, they could easily led to noises like your experiencing. I suspect that if the binding gets bad enough the electronics will reverse direction, but I haven't researched this behavior to know for sure.

Can you move the window up or down more than about an 1/8 inch just using your hands on the glass? If yes, then the regulator may be suspect. The greater the distance that you can move it up or down using your hands, the worse the cables have stretched. If/when a regulator fails completely the window will no longer raise via the motor nor can you keep it in the up position.

Here's a photo where you can see part of the regulator cable inside the left door on my 987.
P9200032.JPG

And a couple of photos of the regulator itself from my 996 days.

Regulator comparison 2.JPG P9030003.JPG

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response and ilustrations. I tried moving the window up/down but it didnt move at all. So Im guessing its not the regulator. I noticed that you didnt have to remove the airbag in order to get access to the area where the rails are located, that was one of my concerns. How difficult was it to replace?? Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my regulator is ok. I still lifts and lowers the window with force. I think it might be the cables being lose or damaged. I will remove the panel and will keep updating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just noticed that the window doesnt lower when the door opens and closes. Now im inclinated towards the regulator. Anybody???

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are two plastic pulleys at the bottom of the window mechanism that tend to stiffen up and cause the crackling. Lubricating them will often solve the problem.

To lube, pull the rubber plugs out from the bottom of the door and you will see the plastic pulleys. Lube them profusely with oil, move the window up and down and lube some more. Its a five minute job.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, will do it probably tomorrow in the afternoon and will come back with hopefully good news! Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts