Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passenger window reg on my 2010 Cayman S is dying. I'm looking at Porsche part for about $290 or Üro Premium (advertises roller bearings on pulley) for about half that price. Anyone have experience with Üro premium window regulators? I hate to have to go through this again but it was the OEM unit that died in the first place. Is it possible the Üro unit is better? They advertise more cycles in testing and better cable tension with less stress on motor, but I understand why OEM is preferred. Just wondering if anyone has had good luck with aftermarket regulators.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 Cayman S
38 Posts
No experience with the Cayman regulators, but I did replace one on my 2002 Boxster. The word on the forums was that the Uro regulators failed frequently after a very short time, so I went with a Porsche part. I know it hurts to pay so much more, but like the AOS's, sometimes it's worth it to buy the Porsche part.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T (On Order)
238 Posts
Passenger window reg on my 2010 Cayman S is dying. I'm looking at Porsche part for about $290 or Üro Premium (advertises roller bearings on pulley) for about half that price. Anyone have experience with Üro premium window regulators? I hate to have to go through this again but it was the OEM unit that died in the first place. Is it possible the Üro unit is better? They advertise more cycles in testing and better cable tension with less stress on motor, but I understand why OEM is preferred. Just wondering if anyone has had good luck with aftermarket regulators.
Thanks.
I have a lot of experience with window regulators on my 3 E46 four door sedans that I have owned since 2005. I mention 4 door because it means I have double the number of regulators in these 3 cars I have owned than you have in a Cayman and I have replaced many over the years. The BMW original ones are not the greatest but they are better than the URO ones for sure. If you want to save a little money find out explicitly who is the original manufacturer of Porsche ones and buy that brand. URO is not a original equipment supplier and unless you just want to fix to sell or trade in, I would get Porsche or the porsche supplier brand. Normally, Pelicanparts.com and FCPeuro.com tell you if the part is from the original manufacturer but I looked it up and don't any choice but Porsche. So I would just look for the best deal online for the real thing. You can enter the part number online and get all sorts of prices and order it. It's also a lot of work to change these and you want to do it as little as possible. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up buying the Porsche part from FCPeuro. I also believe in "buy once, cry once." I was mostly asking because ÜRO was advertising their premium line with the roller bearings and claims of higher cycle rate before failure. I was hoping someone would say they're great and save some money, but I'm with you that I don't like taking my door panel off. In fact interior work is my least favorite as everything is fragile. I already ordered extra plastic fasteners. I get to remove the sagging headliner next then I think the motor mount is smashed. Other than those things, I do love the car. I hope these first few months of owning it isn't an indicator any future trend of replacing parts.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T (On Order)
238 Posts
I ended up buying the Porsche part from FCPeuro. I also believe in "buy once, cry once." I was mostly asking because ÜRO was advertising their premium line with the roller bearings and claims of higher cycle rate before failure. I was hoping someone would say they're great and save some money, but I'm with you that I don't like taking my door panel off. In fact interior work is my least favorite as everything is fragile. I already ordered extra plastic fasteners. I get to remove the sagging headliner next then I think the motor mount is smashed. Other than those things, I do love the car. I hope these first few months of owning it isn't an indicator any future trend of replacing parts.
If someone made a premium, more durable window regulator for my E46s, I would pay 50% extra because it is such a pain in the *** to fix. I have picked up some Uro parts like an oil cap because it was cheap and if it breaks, I can pull it off in 7.45 seconds and put a new one on. It was also 20% of the price of the BMW cap so that is a huge difference in price and low risk because even if I had a small vacuum leak, I could easily fix. Every time you pull that door panel off, you are risking damaging the trim and maybe more rattles etc. Also, I feel strongly about it because let me tell you about my last door regulator failure. I live in San Diego which has nice weather and my son was on a traveling soccer team. I volunteered to drive my son and two teammates to a soccer tournament in summer to Lancaster which is desert and it was hot. After the tournament, it was close to 100 degrees and we stopped off for a team meal at an In and Out burger before the 3 hour drive home. We eat at in and out and get back in the car. It is about 120 degrees in the car, so I lower all four windows to let the heat escape and "pop!" there goes the right rear window regulator and the window is stuck down. Damn. I tried to force it up by hand but no luck. So we drove on I-15 for 3 hours in almost 100 degree heat with the window down. The buffeting was so bad that I had to lower the front windows down a bit as well. It was a miserable 3 hour drive home. And it could've been worse. We just spent two nights in a motel and if this had happened before, I would've been trying to pull that panel off in some hotel parking lot on a sunday with no dealerships open to at least force the window up at night. Things change and perhaps URO is making better parts now but this swap is a lot of work and if it fails, even if warrantied, you still have to take it all apart again. I had a friend that was Mercedes, BMW, Audi independent mechanic and he decided to try an aftermarket mercedes window regulator for a customer. Please keep in mind, he was not trying to scam the owner, he had replaced the window regulator 6 years earlier with with a Mercedes OE before and his customer of 25 years was upset that it only lasted 6 years, so he told him let me try a different brand then Mercedes. So bought some brand it did look different. He installed it and hoped for the best. About a year later the customer comes back even more upset. When the Mercedes regulator quick wokring is just popped and the window wouldn't roll up. The aftermarket one was worse. The part that holds the glass completely sheared off and the glass dropped like a lead weight and hit hard. Luckily it didn't break the glass but wedged itself at the bottom of the door was was 3x times the work to free it. Se my friend went back to the Mercedes OE stuff even though it doesn't last. So you just have to weigh risk to reward. They are all shitty choices because you spend more for Porsche brand stuff but it still doesn't last that long. That is why if we could find out who makes them for Porsche, we could by the OE brand without the Porsche name and they are usually the same stuff for less money. On my GTI, I have purchased Vaico parts that are identical to VW and a turbo valve I bought from them even had the VW logo ground off, but my independent doesn't like them because it depends on what you get. I have gotten more original stuff from Vaico than not so I still try them but I always look at the part before putting in. Best of luck and if you try the new URO let us know how it works!

·
Registered
2008 Porsche Cayman S
173 Posts
Bought mine from Pelican Parts, think it was Porche part if I remember right. It was an easy fit. Just pay atention to your fine alignment points so it fite perfectly in the opening. This was 2 years ago. Still working great! SInce your there you may want to look at your door handle connectoins as well. No flappy door latches allowed. Pellican parts again, easy fit no mods needed.( Update)
Looked up my order just now. It was the URO product. Still going strong. No issues 170 bucks right now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts