Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes the switch to work the passenger side window from the driver's side seems to sporadically not work and I have to reach across close/open the window from passenger's side switch. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it and what I should be looking at?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I would guess that the switch is intermittent, possibly from arcing on the contacts. No idea what's involved in replacing this switch. This is the easy answer. Wiring or the lift mechanism is tougher.

My old 944S2 was prone to the switch arcing and going intermittent. The switch was easy to disassemble and clean. Reassembly was more challenging. Don't know if this is possible on the 987.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess that the switch is intermittent, possibly from arcing on the contacts. No idea what's involved in replacing this switch. This is the easy answer. Wiring or the lift mechanism is tougher.

My old 944S2 was prone to the switch arcing and going intermittent. The switch was easy to disassemble and clean. Reassembly was more challenging. Don't know if this is possible on the 987.
Yea I think its just the switch but dont want to order a switch just to find that its something else deeper

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
when I opened my driver side door switch I didn't find any user serviceable parts.
its a plastic mechanism plus a small circuit board. ended up replacing it - because they "sunk in".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when I opened my driver side door switch I didn't find any user serviceable parts.
its a plastic mechanism plus a small circuit board. ended up replacing it - because they "sunk in".
so you replaced the entire switch mechanism on the driver's side door and it ended up working?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My driver window switch started to work sporadically. Took it out and opened the switch casing. Just needed to be cleaned. The conductive metals tend to get dirty. some alcohol along with q tips fixed the problem for me. I also bent the metal to which the plastic rocker pushes onto for a slightly for better connection.
Just a word of caution. The door cards are on there really well. I’ve taken these off other cars before without problems but I believe there is some adhesive along with the plastic connectors which make it quite difficult to pull out

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My driver window switch started to work sporadically. Took it out and opened the switch casing. Just needed to be cleaned. The conductive metals tend to get dirty. some alcohol along with q tips fixed the problem for me. I also bent the metal to which the plastic rocker pushes onto for a slightly for better connection.
Just a word of caution. The door cards are on there really well. I’ve taken these off other cars before without problems but I believe there is some adhesive along with the plastic connectors which make it quite difficult to pull out
thank you, will give this a try

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I took apart the old driver side window switch to have a look inside - and here is a picture that might be useful for those planning to clean the contacts. mine was actually very clean (considering its a 2010) so perhaps it may not be an issue for everyone.

in my case the plastic physical button was the issue so I had to replace it.
window switch.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts