Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

I took my CS to a professional tinting garage two months ago. I had all the car tinted except for the front windscreen. Since then i have been to the same garage six times to get the passenger window re-tinted. For some reason the tint keeps peeling off. It refuses to stick properly as if there is something on the inside peeling it off when you open the window. The guy at the tint garage is gutted and doesn’t really know why this is happening. My driver seat window has been fine since day one, only this weekend did it start peeling off again and I can see some water residue under the tint film. I'm taking the car back to him tomorrow to get both windows re-tinted. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?? We are not sure why the tints keep coming off, even after they’ve been dried out with a heat gun and left shut for a week they tend to peel off again when the window is open and shut a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Never heard of such an issue. I would try a different film manufacturer to see if that works any better.

You might want to check TintDude Forum.

Good luck.
-Moto

Hi Guys

I took my CS to a professional tinting garage two months ago. I had all the car tinted except for the front windscreen. Since then i have been to the same garage six times to get the passenger window re-tinted. For some reason the tint keeps peeling off. It refuses to stick properly as if there is something on the inside peeling it off when you open the window. The guy at the tint garage is gutted and doesn’t really know why this is happening. My driver seat window has been fine since day one, only this weekend did it start peeling off again and I can see some water residue under the tint film. I'm taking the car back to him tomorrow to get both windows re-tinted. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?? We are not sure why the tints keep coming off, even after they’ve been dried out with a heat gun and left shut for a week they tend to peel off again when the window is open and shut a couple of times.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
The glass is likely to have a grease coating on it or be contaminated.
Use a strong degreaser and a solvent cleaner to remove all film residue before applying film.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Also, I guess you already know that, but you should leave the windows up for a day or two. Preferably in the sun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The windows come done slightly every time the door is opened. There is a switch in the door to disable. But the disabling works only once. My 3M dealer disables this while installing the film. They use a heat gun (from outside only i think) to make the film & glue dry. However, on some occassions it started to peel off by the time I got home (I had to open the door twice for getting & out of the car). Best to let the car sit there for a length of time without anyone opening the door to let the fim dry, else every time the door is opened, there is a chance it will start to peel off from the edge near the side view mirrors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Guys

Where abouts in the uk are you
i can recomend a really good guy whos done 10 or more cars for me

all perfect but his in London Colney ( Hertfordshire )

Ps What tint have you gone for i always go dark smoke all around

Cayman will be done in the next couple of weeks

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
The windows come done slightly every time the door is opened. There is a switch in the door to disable. But the disabling works only once. My 3M dealer disables this while installing the film. They use a heat gun (from outside only i think) to make the film & glue dry. However, on some occassions it started to peel off by the time I got home (I had to open the door twice for getting & out of the car). Best to let the car sit there for a length of time without anyone opening the door to let the fim dry, else every time the door is opened, there is a chance it will start to peel off from the edge near the side view mirrors.
The procedure here is the car is keep for 24Hrs by the tinter so no door is used. Solves that problem.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I've got 3M on both of my cars and have no issues with peeling. The CS was done 3+ years ago by the original owner and had dust under them, so I took it back to the agent who installed them along with the 5 year warranty card and they replaced them for free. It did take them a couple of applications before I was fully happy of no dust and no sratches where they wiped the 3M logo off.
I ended up getting a full polish at the same time due to the mess the soapy water they spray left on my slightly dusty car.

Maybe it's the temperature here that allows the adhesive to dry/cure quickly, because I got in the car and used it straight away and have not had any issues with the tints.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The procedure here is the car is keep for 24Hrs by the tinter so no door is used. Solves that problem.
I had forgotten about the window lowering perk. So I guess this is the best solution!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got 3M on both of my cars and have no issues with peeling. The CS was done 3+ years ago by the original owner and had dust under them, so I took it back to the agent who installed them along with the 5 year warranty card and they replaced them for free. It did take them a couple of applications before I was fully happy of no dust and no sratches where they wiped the 3M logo off.
I ended up getting a full polish at the same time due to the mess the soapy water they spray left on my slightly dusty car.

Maybe it's the temperature here that allows the adhesive to dry/cure quickly, because I got in the car and used it straight away and have not had any issues with the tints.
Hi Dunebasher, I also live in Dubai and am keen to have my CS tinted. Which 3m centre did you go to and which film did you choose?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts