Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My standard Cayman was delivered on 3/24/2014. I chose to pick the car up "raw" and detail it myself. Having read posts by others who have done this, the approach seemed feasible. I encountered no resistance from the dealer and the pickup was routine. One of the dealership "principles" even assisted me during an on-site quick wash, removal of body protective covers, and cursory inspection, which revealed no body issues. I left most windshield stickers and interior covers in place for home removal.

On removal of the stickers, I found a pattern of horizontal, straight "marks" in the area where the large white sticker applied to the passenger's side is located. I removed the sticker (and all others) by carefully pulling off and cleaning residue. I initially thought the marks were residue, but found that they are on the outside of the windshield and, under magnification, are scratches. They have been visible since the initial clean-up, but again, I thought they were residue and could be removed.

I notified the dealership on 5/8/2014. I received no response and finally showed them the scratches on 6/24/2014. They told me that they would "look into it". I again failed to hear from them so I contacted them again on 8/6/2014. The same dealer representative, the "principle" who participated in my initial cleanup, told me verbally that he had consulted the dealership brain trust and PCNA, and that nothing could be done in terms of a warranty solution. I asked to have that determination put in writing but have to date received no documentation.

Admittedly, I've slow-tracked this, and would like to hear your comments and suggestions regarding possible recourse, if any. At minimum, I'd like a written accounting of the official disposition of my issue, and a record of who provided inputs from both the dealer and PCNA.

Regards to all and thanks in advance,
Scooter64

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi There
Sorry to here about your windscreen issue. It is such a pity that this problem was found when you have obviously taken as much care as you have to have the car professionally detailed from new-just as I did-in order to try to prevent such issues!

Worry not! Search the Internet for a professional glass polisher. I found one in the UK after a stone scuffed my windscreen. These guys have special polishers and paste and have to constantly monitor the windscreen temperature to avoid causing de-lamination of the plastic in the windscreen.
After about 1 hour of constant polishing and checking all scratches will be removed and it will be as good as new. This should cost around $100 and maybe try and get the dealership to pay or at least give you some 'perk' for your trouble. If you are passionate about your car, this is a far better solution than the hassle and worry of a replacement screen. My scuffs were fairly deep and could be felt with a finger nail but my glass guy sorted it perfectly. Use a professional glass guy though-they know what they are doing!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
No matter how careful you are, driving the car will quickly result in small pits in the windshield. After a few thousand miles it will no longer look new, and the scratches will be immaterial. Waiting 6 weeks to alert the dealer about the scratches weakens any case that they were a delivery issue. If they are only visible under magnification, I suggest just letting it go. After all, a windshield is really designed to take hits from all kinds of stuff in the airstream flowing over your car and will at some point - maybe within a short time frame if it takes a rock hit - need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I was sure I had scratches and pits in my '13 BS windshield, but they were all mysteriously gone when I picked my car up from a detail job. I'll have to ask the detailer what they did next time I use them. I had already tried various cleaners and towels to get rid of the weird linear streaks I was seeing but none of them had any effect at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the responses. Sorry for any confusion caused by a careless cut/paste of the words "under magnification". I did take a large magnifying glass to the dealership to facilitate inspection, however, the scratches can be felt with a fingernail. Polishing sounds promising and the point made by GCURENEU about the scratches getting "lost" in damage from wear and tear is well taken. I'm not inclined to fight this to the death but am still pondering the communication or lack thereof with the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts