Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the temps have dropped to around 0-15F here around Chicago. I have noticed that my fluid is freezing in my Cayman GTS at anything below 20F and its incredibly annoying. Is the stock fluid meant for summer driving and I need to switch it out, or is the fact that porsche runs the line through the hood give it more distance to freeze?

PS, the car handles like a dream in the snow. 3 inches last night was plan fun. All the benifits of a mid engine car I noticed on the track are present in the snow. Out accelerating suvs on all season was priceless. Its great.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The washer system is supposed to be heated, but that's of no help when the car sits overnight and the fluid freezes. Porsche offers no fluid that doesn't freeze.

Do you have headlight washers? My 987.2S did, and none of the commonly available fluid manufacturers would commit to their product being safe to spray on the headlights. The only fluid I found that was stated to be safe was 1Z Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid. I used it for 2 years with no problem, but was relatively expensive. My 981 does not have headlight washers, so I use Rain-X washer fluid now.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Whoa. I haven't checked mine. I just assumed they put winter stuff in. I hope this isn't something I should be concerned about... :(

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is in a heated garage. Start the car this morning, use the washers to clean the window with no problem (the window was dirty from it not working the night before). Drive 5 mins, go to clean them again, frozen.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
then 25 mins of driving into work angry from it being dirty. Huge pet peeve of mine.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm more worried that the freezing could burst some components of the system. :(

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I recently bought a spray bottle of windshield de-icer. I am sure it is the same stuff that most cars use, just in a spray bottle. The active ingredient in most washer solutions good to -20F is methanol. You can easily take a cheap gallon of the blue stuff and fill an old spray bottle and keep it and a couple micro-fiber towels in the car and carefully spray and wipe the windshield periodically, taking care to limit exposure to your paint.

My experience with the store-bought spray bottle (on my daily driver that sits outside in the cold) was that spraying it on would dissolve the ice instantly, but as the methanol evaporated, it would leave the water behind and the windshield would re-freeze. You need to wipe it off after spraying to be effective in this particular situation until your window heater is up to temperature.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Local Porsche dealership has a winter blend, $3.50 a bottle. The parts guy says he was curious about how well it worked and actually left a bottle outside for the last 3 days. Hasnt frozen yet. That's my guy.

·
Registered
832 Posts
When I lived in the mid-west in the winter many gas stations/truck stops would leave pallets of jugs of washer fluid outside all the time. During a cold spell I'd grab a gallon bottle or two of the stuff picking bottles with no ice in the fluid -- I'd shake the bottle for any presence of ice in the fluid -- and use that fluid in my Porsche windshield washer fluid tank. I'd go through a lot of fluid as the windshield would get quite dirty from winter driving.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I lived in the mid-west in the winter many gas stations/truck stops would leave pallets of jugs of washer fluid outside all the time. During a cold spell I'd grab a gallon bottle or two of the stuff picking bottles with no ice in the fluid -- I'd shake the bottle for any presence of ice in the fluid -- and use that fluid in my Porsche windshield washer fluid tank. I'd go through a lot of fluid as the windshield would get quite dirty from winter driving.
I have done this for years with my bmws, never thought about it much. I know the lower the temp it can take before freezing the more alcohol/meth content, which would eat away at my wax and seal. That said, I cared more about the clean window vs. that small impact. Just stressing a little more as the cayman was 50% more than my last bmw and I have no experience.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I am so glad I live in a state that hasn't bowed down to the environmentalists and we can still buy the good stuff- doesn't start to freeze until -20.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The washer system is supposed to be heated, but that's of no help when the car sits overnight and the fluid freezes. Porsche offers no fluid that doesn't freeze.

Do you have headlight washers? My 987.2S did, and none of the commonly available fluid manufacturers would commit to their product being safe to spray on the headlights. The only fluid I found that was stated to be safe was 1Z Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid. I used it for 2 years with no problem, but was relatively expensive. My 981 does not have headlight washers, so I use Rain-X washer fluid now.

What's the danger to headlights? I never thought about it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hey guys... I emailed my SA to ask about this and he put my mind at ease and suggested I post up his response to hopefully help some others in the area. Now, this is from Porsche of London (Canada) but I expect it at least applies to the rest of the Ontario dealers.

Tim Bamford (Porsche of London) said:
I spoke to our Master Tech on this – He said that every once-in-a-while a car will arrive from Europe with windshield washer fluid pre-filled. Generally, windshield washer fluid is filled at dealer level upon PDI. As the Euro windshield washer fluid isn’t as robust as what is used here (i.e. lower anti-freeze properties), then there could be an issue freezing in extreme cold. I noticed the person in the post is from Chicago, so it is possible he could have driven this car in very low temperatures with the Euro Spec washer fluid.

In any event, generally there are no issues with freezing windshield washer fluid for any of our cars as we are the ones doing the filling, using the correct fluid for Canadian climate. In fact none of the tech’s can recall one instance when what is described in the forum post occurring here. For the record we keep approx. 20 cars outside and I haven’t ever experienced this either. To me, the experience stated by this guy on the forum is a bit of a one off. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
My wife took delivery of a new Jetta Sportwagon last fall (turbo diesel with MT, she refuses to drive an auto SUV or auto wagon) and same thing happened to her when it got cold. We added our usual cold weather fluid, then all was OK. I will do the same, I just can't see getting Porsche specific fluid, I've never noticed any damage from standard cold weather fluid windshield fluid.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
So, the temps have dropped to around 0-15F here around Chicago. I have noticed that my fluid is freezing in my Cayman GTS at anything below 20F and its incredibly annoying. Is the stock fluid meant for summer driving and I need to switch it out, or is the fact that porsche runs the line through the hood give it more distance to freeze?

PS, the car handles like a dream in the snow. 3 inches last night was plan fun. All the benifits of a mid engine car I noticed on the track are present in the snow. Out accelerating suvs on all season was priceless. Its great.
mithiral:

Just get blue pre-mix at the gas station and change it out. There's no problem with that stuff. Won't hurt anything. I've been using it on my '06 for 5 years. I drive in the winter too...In chicago, btw.

I bought the Porsche fluid from the dealer and also found out it freezes. It's useless in winter, so don't use it then. What it's great at is getting bugs off the windshield in the summer. The blue stuff seems to not do much but smear bugs. If you bought a new car with it, I'd bring some pre-mix in and tell them to drain the system and put it in...for free. They should know better.

:cheers:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree, just get some fluid at a local store. I ran low several months ago. I filled it up with some Prestone fluid I got at AutoZone, says it's good to minus 27 F. Works great.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
The Prestone de-icer or similar mixes by Rain X etc are good. I've never had the old cheaper blue stuff freeze in the tank but have had the nozzles freeze up with it.

Worst case with the old blue juice is when the ambient is cold enough with enough wind to strip out the methanol as the wipers pass over. Evaporating methanol increases the cooling on already cold surfaces. Defrosters don't have a snowballs chance of keeping the windshield warm enough so it's an instant frost white under the wiper tracks. Nothing to do but stop and scrape. Prestone seems to avoid this by using ethylene glycol also. Made me cautious about using the washers when it's really cold. The balmy -7 F here this morning would have been a time to be careful.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts