Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving my 2009 Cayman in the rain this afternoon (40 degrees) and my windshield implodes spontaneously. I heard a loud boom (like a fire cracker went off in the cabin) and noticed my windshield with several circular cracks from the rear view mirror outward like a ripple in the ocean. I thought a tree branch or rock hit the window, but there is no evidence of that... has this happened to anyone else? It is almost like their was too much pressure inside the cabin which caused the cracking.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Crikey! First I have heard of that.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Let me call Mulder. One for the X files.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Gawd! A hull breach. You need an escape-pod or an ejection seat for that kind of thing.

Have you ever had a wreck or body damage in the past that may have contributed to abnormal pressures on your wind-shield? That's all I can think of.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
This was a common problem with 993 rear windows back in the 90's but I have not hear of this being a problem with the Cayman so hopefully just an isolated problem, but please let us know what the dealer has to say about it, I would hope it would be covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Its not internal overpressure, unless you also noticed your ears bleeding from the ruptured eardrums......:)

Could be a flaw that wasn't caught by inspection or was considered subcritical in length and configuration. Could be thermally induced, but the differential temperature between 40F and cabin, even with defrost at full blast, that probably would require a flaw. Could be a otherwise OK windshield that was at the limits for shape and size that went kaflooie due to bending induced in the glass that wouldn't have been there had it been closer to ideal shape/size.

I was cleaning my Audi A4 windshield yesterday and couldn't believe the localized bulge towards the top of it, or the fact that I hadn't noticed it before. Yet, its 7 years old and, knock on wood, still fine.

Chalk it up to bad ju-ju, unless you want to spend a lot of time diagnosing it. Just from this site, you can see that odds are you won't encounter it a second time.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I don’t know about other states but In the State of Florida if you have comprehensive on you insurance policy. Your windshield is replaced free of charge. Basically your deductable is waived. If you have State Farm any window is covered and the deductable is waived.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Certainly an odd problem and one I don't care to experience. There were a few reports on the 335i list of sunroofs exploding. A few had dealers refuse to repair them.

You didn't say but did you get a face full of glass?

·
Registered
409 Posts
The fact the the cracks appear from the rear view mirror is interesting. I had a dealer replace my rear view mirror and when putting on the new one they broke the glass (from just the pressure of putting on a new mirror).

They didn't seem overly surprised that it had happened.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Freaky. Lucky nothing worse happened, like slamming into something while you were trying to figure out what happened.

Teach you to drive in the rain...

just kidding, hope the fix goes well and swiftly for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bamly day by Massachusetts standards. The heater was probably on 70-72 degrees. The stereo wasn't that loud either :)

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Comet.

You git hit by one. Well, what was left after entering the atmosphere. Just a single ice crystal flying at a million miles a second.

That's my theory.

Did you notice any water vapor on the outside of the windshield that was impossible to see with the naked eye?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Black helicopters testing new equipment again, call your local congressman and tell them you know what they are up to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts