Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planned to post in the Took Delivery thread first, and had a 4-day road trip planned to SW of DFW to avoid cold. Just had GTS delivered Friday. Alas, think our trip is over. Picture below is before the last big run took off.

280 miles on the car and a good sized rock hits the windshield drivers side, top left, about 1-2" from edge. Winshield had spiderweb nearly to wires in glass immediately, ran another couple inches and after taking a turn in San Angelo at low speed it split and ran in a downward curve, about 8-10" total now.

Any advice or experience with replacement process appreciated before I start dealing with State Farm Momday. Obviously I would MUCH prefer an OEM piece, curious if that's going to be possible. More than that concerned with the replacement process on a car that will have a few hundred miles on it. Complicated by having PDLS Plus, and worried about some bubba and his ability to replacement glass and not mess this up too.

Anyone with specific DFW area recommendations doubly appreciated!

Also interested in opinions on continuing to drive and risk of it running a full loop through the glass from edge to edge. Other than the pain of looking at this, should I follow instinct, take it home and park it or forge ahead another 800 miles or so?

F74219D1-ED88-412A-8269-A2DCD19014CE_zpsaqxt1ybw.jpg

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I've had couple windshields replaced in BMW's and it was OEM both times. Just called insurance....got a list of local window guys and called them myself. Both times was a really easy experience.

If were just running around town...I'd say drive it with no worries. But long times at highway speeds and that SECOND rock could make for a really bad day.

Sorry for the bad luck. That sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
sorry to see. let us know how state farm treats you. I have a crack across the bottom of mine and have been too slack to do anything about it.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
State Farm took very good care of me when I had to have the windshield replaced on my 964 Targa. They actually had a replacement delivered to Ohio from Germany. It ended up costing the insurance company $8600 to replace. I saw the invoice.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
$8600 is even more than what I paid for my SVX glass a couple of years ago. Fortunately I think the going rate for the 981 glass with the antennas is less than $2000.

George, if you do a search you will find some others that had to have their windshields replace. Due to the fact you need the antennas and the rain sensing, I would be surprised if they would even find a non-OEM version. Ask your local PCA for some glass shop recommendations.

Sorry to hear about the stone, but you should be fine soon.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
670 Posts
With mileage that low, OEM replacement is a non-issue. Unless of course you have the douchiest of insurance providers. State Farm is usually pretty good. This happened to me around 2500 miles. Best advice is to call your dealership and ask them who does their glass work. It happens more than you'd think, so go with whoever does the work for your dealer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago by Safelite. They used OEM glass because I do not believe the 981 has enough units in the states to make the business case for generic replacements. Funny thing is that the first time I drove the car, after the replacement a rock hit my windshield exactly in the same spot after only 12 miles. Thank goodness the glass did not crack but there is a small mark where the rock hit. The installation required removal of the a frame trim and the frunk mechanical cover. There were 7 wires attached to the glass for my attenna amplifiers, rain sensor and other stuff. Quite a complicated piece of glass.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The installation required removal of the a frame trim and the frunk mechanical cover. There were 7 wires attached to the glass for my attenna amplifiers, rain sensor and other stuff. Quite a complicated piece of glass.
Mind me asking if you had this done with one of their on-site providers, or in their shop instead?

I realize while the car is "that" special to me, they've seen it all before, probably more complicated. Honestly more than the connections I'm more concerned about what looks like an incredibly small margin between the glass and painted roof/A-frame that would not be cool to nick, not to mention little things like the Alcantara trim on A-pillar that can't just be wiped down if goop gets on it. I know, it's just a car but sheesh.

Mike - thanks for what was clearly the gentlest of "search the forum" messages I've ever seen. I had poked around a little, but not found much recent from post-2012, though did find an older post from someone local and reached out to them directly. In 17 months and 6 posts before this, obviously I've been much more a searcher/lurker than contributing to the forum as we went through the long process of deciding on this/that/theother car. Now we're all in! :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had the mobile technician meet me at my house since I wanted the car in place for a proper adhesive cure time. It was a cold day (for Florida) and the SikaFlex requires 60deg F to properly set so I scheduled it for late afternoon when they sun would heat the garage well. I was amazed at how difficult this replacement was compared to my truck. The tech needed to refer back to the replacement glass for wiring removal a few times. I could see he was a little confused but he did a good job. The tolerance was tight but no damage to the car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the set-temp tip Elusive. With that in mind (and my garage not being heated) plus not being wild about someone learning as they go in my garage have managed to get State Farm to agree to pricing for replacement at local dealer and paying them direct rather than me having to hassle them for the payment.

Claim process on a 2-day old car was bad news/good news. Bad; The car still isn't showing up in Linked Services database, the SF contractor who manages glass claims. That's been a hassle, and has bought me an extra hour total on the phone so far. At least. Good; that has led to the claim being filed directly through State Farm which I'm convinced is what has resulted in me getting easy approval for the full cost of replacement.

Dealer body shop has been good to work with and has ordered the glass. Apparently (???) there's none in country so it's shipping from Germany. That seems crazy, but whatever. Lead time is estimated at a week, which also seems optimistic. Verified with the contact 3 times that they were getting right piece for all the options, he swears they are and that the 2015 glass is all the same, regardless of whether the PDLS+ or other options are added in the build. Hope he's right!

More to come in a week. Or two.....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Glass finally arrived last week in the midst of yet another DFW ice/snow event. I passed on taking it in during the remnants of that and finally got it in Monday, back yesterday afternoon. Used Park Place Bodywerks, the advisor I worked with was great, even managed to make sure they honored my request to NOT wash the car before returning (raining on day of drop off).

End result was State Farm picked up the tab for full cost of OEM glass (less deductible of course) and didn't try to steer me away from dealer install. Realistically, no real reason too since there's no other glass option and the dealer outsources their installation to a contractor who does work on the dealer site. Other than the glass having a couple smears on inside my OCD required me to clean installation looks perfect. Just below line of body panels as original, no goop on dash/pillars, etc.

Cost of glass was $731, installation charge $150, urethane $142, plus shipping, adhesive, tax, etc. rolled up to $1200.

Now back to that road trip! Wife is looking at www.motorcycleroads.com right now, we are outta here Friday!

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife's car is a BMW with the heads-up display and I drive a 981 Cayman S. So I dropped my comprehensive deductible down to $200 because sooner or later I may end up with an expensive glass replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts