Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crack in my windshield and need to have it replaced. I was wondering if anyone local has had their windshield replaced and if so, could you recommend anyone? I live in Dundee (near Elgin and Hoffman Estates).I am a little leery of just thumbing through the phonebook.

My windshield has the rain sensative wipers. Is this going to be an issue?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am also wondering what it will cost. I did a little research and it was all over the board... $350 - $1000.

:thanks:

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Ooops sorry missed this the first time!

My windshield was replaced at the dealer as a courtesy because it was heavily pitted after only 10K miles. My wife's van had a windshield replacement through our insurance company, we paid a small deductible and they sent some mobile team out to our house to do the job, was pretty painless. I believe it was some division of SafeLite Auto Glass or something like that, I'll have to see if I can locate the name again.

The rain sensor is attached to the glass inside the car, it can be removed and put onto the new windshield, there isn't any difference in the glass that I am aware of, if you find out differently let us know.

I don't have a specific recommendation in your area but you might call either Napleton Porsche or The Porsche Exchange, both sponsors here, and ask their service manager who they use to replace glass, they don't do it themselves, they bring some third party in. Then contact that third party and see what their prices are like.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had my windshield replaced last summer. The dealer went through a third party who did the work at the dealership. I was specific about the insurance company authorizing a Porsche OEM screen. After some discussion I was able to negotiate the original replacement. You want to be sure of a good fit and proper installation. I read some posts on this site where aftermarket windshields did not fit properly regardless of the installers skill. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had mine replaced recently and the parts (I suppose that includes the glass and adhesive) came to $510. It was the original glass, the shop looked for aftermarket for comparison and didn't find any. Labor was $215. It was done at a friends high-end (Bentley, Jag, Aston Martin, Calloway, etc. factory certified) shop.

That was in S Calif.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.