Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cayman has been in hibernation for over two months now, and I haven't even uncovered it since the arrival of the new year. The daily snowfall, the frequent high winds and the unusually cold temperatures have me spending no unnecessary time in the garage. This winter here in Western NY seems to be a carbon copy of last winter. I just hope that the coming summer is better than the rainy '09 we experienced! :( 987f

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hear you! Here in the Omaha area we've had two feet of snow (cumulative, from three storms), some freezing rain, days where the high doesn't even break 0 degrees F, and windchills near 30 below. I didn't really intend to park the CS for her first winter, but as of now she's only been out a couple days since the beginning of December. :(

·
Registered
235 Posts
My Cayman's been stuck in the garage under a cover since mid-November. :( It will be there until spring because even if it warms up and the roads dry off there's so much course sand from the plows on the surface I don't want to risk chipping up the CS. If I didn't have skiing I would be pining away the winter waiting to drive. In spite of that it bums me out everytime I walk past the Porsche to get in my truck to go somewhere.
Another three months or so and I'll be blasting around again.:hilarious:
BW

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
So sorry ladies and gents. Though we've had freezing temps nightly for about a week, the Boxster, sans roof has been out almost daily. I love the heated seat and the Ss of my favorite long cuts. Though my heart aches for you snowbirds, I am so greatful to be flying down here.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Cayman's been stuck in the garage under a cover since mid-November. :( It will be there until spring because even if it warms up and the roads dry off there's so much course sand from the plows on the surface I don't want to risk chipping up the CS. If I didn't have skiing I would be pining away the winter waiting to drive. In spite of that it bums me out everytime I walk past the Porsche to get in my truck to go somewhere.
Another three months or so and I'll be blasting around again.:hilarious:
BW
This winter, my town DPW, as a cost-saving measure, has been mixing dirt and large stones in with the salt. First the stones chip the paint down to the metal, then the briny salt slush takes over. I won't even mention the potholes! 987f

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My Cayman has been in hibernation for over two months now, and I haven't even uncovered it since the arrival of the new year. The daily snowfall, the frequent high winds and the unusually cold temperatures have me spending no unnecessary time in the garage. This winter here in Western NY seems to be a carbon copy of last winter. I just hope that the coming summer is better than the rainy '09 we experienced! :( 987f
I'm with you 987f, but look forward to the first breakfast run to Sodus point. We will do it again in the Spring

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
This winter, my town DPW, as a cost-saving measure, has been mixing dirt and large stones in with the salt. First the stones chip the paint down to the metal, then the briny salt slush takes over. I won't even mention the potholes! 987f
I grew up near the Solvay salt mines, errr, I mean Rochester, NY. I can't imagine taking a nice car out in that mess, even with double side galv steel and all the other corrosion resisting tricks. Salt is cheap and they put down so much that the finish gets sandblasted with chunks of it. Here in RI, I almost took mine to work today, but unless and until I get a hose bib and floor drain installed in my garage, I'm going to try to resist the temptation. Last winter we had frequent cleansing rains and I was out frequently, but here, this year reminds me of winters in Rochester.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm with you guys...sitting here in Chicago watching the snow fall, wondering if I'll ever get to drive my CS again.

Making it worse is all of the cool Christmas presents I have sitting in the house waiting for installation. Looking forward to March so I can get everything installed and ready to go. Santa was very good to me this year and I will be busy installing, SRP/Flash, SpeedArt exhaust, B&M Short Shifter, HIP engine cover, painted manifolds and Boothe lug bolts...can't wait.

Here's to those of you in warmer climates! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Exactly! Where i live the road maintenance is the same,so IMHO it's just silly to take a nice car out in all the flying [email protected]#$. Leave your car where it is. That first spring drive on a nice day with clean roads is worth waiting for.:cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I truly feel for you. My car has been out almost everyday (its a DD) except for a couple days around the ice storm. However if I lived somewhere that was more wintery I think I would still have to spend time with it in the garage. like waxing it, over and over and over. cleaning the engine bay, cuetipping something. I couldn't just cover it and leave it be, i would go insane.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I take my saturn sports coupe out daily here in northern new jersey and it doesn't seem to get many chips. I do have a clearbra on it though. Wouldn't it be worth it to install a clearbra on a cayman and just accept some minimal cosmetic damage as the price of being able to enjoy the car through the winter? I think that's my plan when it comes time to get one.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I guess an Southwest Idaho winter isn't that bad. With performance snow tires, the CS has been doing fine.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Around here they tend to use various salt mixes in many cases in liquid form so that part isn't to bad. They also mix a bit of sand with it though it tends to be real sand not stones. So far not to terrible a story though if we have more snow than anticipated it ends up being anything that they can find. Cinders, stones waiting for spring etc.

The bit of real sand can be helpful when it refreezes leaving a gritty surface. Back in Detroit they used rock salt and more rock salt. I think they were on the other end of the salt mine from Rochester or one like it so it was cheap and plentyful. However, when it got cold and refroze the resultant surface was slicker than owl snot. Never knew an owl that well but if the road surface was any indication it's slick.

It snows every year here in Hoosier land and every year it seems that everyone has to rediscover that snow and ice are slippery. What do you mean four wheel drive and a cell phone can't defy the laws of physics? :D It's funny to watch in a way though not near as much as the first rain in Southern California. Water and the oil accumulation from 9 or 10 months of no rain made a surface about as slick as ice. Again everyone had to rediscover it was slippery until the oil washed off. Great fun though if you were off by yourself.

Around here once spring happens (someday, I hope) the chunks of roadway breaking up to form potholes. Chunks of concrete or asphalt the size of a fist or larger makes for scary projectiles when flipped up.

Yes I think I've got the winter blues or maybe just more insane than usual. Somehow a snowblower just isn't a substitute for a Porsche.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I take my saturn sports coupe out daily here in northern new jersey and it doesn't seem to get many chips. I do have a clearbra on it though. Wouldn't it be worth it to install a clearbra on a cayman and just accept some minimal cosmetic damage as the price of being able to enjoy the car through the winter? I think that's my plan when it comes time to get one.
The windshield takes a terrible beating as well. The glass becomes pitted diffusely and makes driving into the sun difficult. I've replaced windshields for this reason alone. The reality is this car can be driven easily in winter with good snow tires,but just don't try the deep stuff. Having lived with winter all my life my personal preference is to have a good winter car and to save my sports car for summer. It's your car,so you should drive it as you please.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I just put ice tires on the Subie, and go sliding around with my AWD. Gotta think positive guys! Then, when spring comes, I jump into the CS and it's like finding a long lost lover. Might as well enjoy the seasons - better than the four seasons down south - summer, June, July and August!;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I hear you on the winter blues....right now I can take advantage of driving it on the non snow days here right now but when I will move back north I will relive the winter blues again! There is sand on the roads but I did the 3M front, behind the wheels, rocker panels, side vent, etc and so far it looks like its protecting it.......but I have only had the car for about 3 weeks and is a daily driver while I can before moving north.

I have 2 subbies and one with studded ice tires.....the thing is unstoppable in winter! So when I will have to store the CS the fun starts with the Subbie!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I've got a big smile this evening:banana:. Took my CS to work and back which is roughly 80miles all together. It was a 'balmy' 30+F today in New Jersey but snow forecasted for this evening to Friday morning. Last drive was Thanksgiving timeframe but car started up fine despite no battery tender !

·
Registered
444 Posts
this morning was the 1st time I drove the car in very cold weather. It was about 1 degree (thats about -17 celcius for the fellow Cdns) and the shifter was stiff. It got better once the car warmed up though.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I just put ice tires on the Subie, and go sliding around with my AWD. Gotta think positive guys! Then, when spring comes, I jump into the CS and it's like finding a long lost lover. Might as well enjoy the seasons - better than the four seasons down south - summer, June, July and August!;)
My winter fun is an 08 WRX STI

1 - 20 of 69 Posts