Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well DO I INVEST IN A GOOD SET OF WINTER TIRES and drive the cayman i understand the factory says drive it don't store it

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I wouldn't, because of the salt and gravel on the roads in winter. I have an AWD sedan with winter tires for that. If you have no other choice, go for it. But, if you have another car, I'd suggest visiting the CTEK web site.

·
Registered
96 Posts
well DO I INVEST IN A GOOD SET OF WINTER TIRES and drive the cayman i understand the factory says drive it don't store it
Don't forget, the factory wants you to buy another one...

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Don't listen to those Boxster softies ;). Get a set of winter wheels and snow tires, at least for the fair weather days, and enjoy the car year round. If you have a winter beater, use that for the days when salt and gravel gets put down.

·
Registered
208 Posts
After 42 Chicago winters...no way would I drive my Porsche in the winter. I guess I'm in the softy camp :). That being said, I do drive my car in the winter here in Raleigh, on days when the streets are dry and free of snow and salt...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Live just north of New York City and getting winter tires on tomorrow. Intend to drive it until snow and slush hits and sticks. Just hope it's not like last winter, it will hurt to see my car in the garage for that long.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's not my driving I'm afraid of....it's the other crazies on the road...no need to expose the Boxster to their ineptness.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Caymans and Boxsters do just fine in winter conditions (911s, BTW, are just fine, too). Get a good set of snow tires on separate wheels, and have some fun. Our CS is going into its third winter, and it still looks like it came out of the showroom. Around 10,000 of its 22,000 km would be from winter driving, and even without a clear bra it has had literally 3 tiny chips (now touched up ) on the lower front valance and bumper cap. 987s and 981s are not made of of painted cotton candy; they are designed to handle all manner of winter conditions, and with a little extra care and attention (frequent winter washings, avoiding just sanded/salted highways, NEVER tailgating) the additional wear and tear from winter driving is negligible. I know a lot of people prefer to store their Porsches in the winter, but the reality is they depreciate just as much sitting in storage as being used and hold up in adverse conditions as well as any car. Buying, insuring, maintaining and eating depreciation on a winter "beater" will cost a LOT more than any reduction in resale value from driving a Porsche in the winter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fellow Torontonian here. I say get a good set of winter rubber and drive it year round. My CS is due in mid January and I can't imagine leaving it in the garage for more than a few days once it arrives. I may keep it home on the day of a big storm and maybe a day or two after but that's it. Our streets get plowed fairly quickly and we're dealing with more slush than snow or ice. A quick wash every week or two, either by hand or no-touch car wash, will deal with salt. Bad drivers? I've waited a long time to buy what I consider my dream car and I won't keep it locked away for half a year for fear of bad drivers. Maybe a bit melodramatic here but it's like succumbing to terrorists...

The beauty of the 981 is how well it performs not just at the track but for daily driving. Some choice luxury options (I admit I may have gone overboard...), plus PTS (LSD) for traction, will put a smile on my face during every cold wintry-day commute. Embrace the winter and drive your Cayman.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Snow tires going on, today (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec). Only a handful of days I can't/wouldn't take the Cayman. I do have access to AWD options for those. Bad enough to have to put the motorbike on Battery Tender life support. Not going to do it with my favorite car, too! Life is short. Porsche, everyday!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
It's not my driving I'm afraid of....it's the other crazies on the road...no need to expose the Boxster to their ineptness.
They're just as inept in the summer ;-). Standard defensive driving techniques give you plenty of warning that trouble may be heading in your direction...simple stuff like religiously checking your rear-view mirrors before braking for a stoplight/stop sign, never crossing an intersection without looking for someone running the red, etc. A winter performance driving course will also give you the skills and confidence to get out of the truly inept drivers' way in the occasional "extreme avoidance" scenario.

I've actually taken the local government-provided Defensive Driving course 4 times...back when I was in my teens and early 20s, you got 3 demerits removed for passing the course with 80%+, and there was no restriction on how many times you could take it (although you could only do it once every two years). From age 16 to 26, Whenever my licence was in jeopardy due to speeding tickets, I'd take the course again to knock off 3 points. Around the second time I took the course, the principles started sinking in, the primary ones being that most accidents can be avoided if a driver has exceptional situational awareness, and has practiced a few key skills. Over the years, I've avoided being rear-ended, t-boned in intersections and numerous other avoidable "accidents" by applying what I (eventually) learned.

Not preaching here; I'm aware some accidents truly are unavoidable (such as when things fall on your car), and many owners here are skilled and experienced drivers. My point is that while track time and DEs teach you to handle your car at or near the edge of its performance envelope...a good defensive driving course can teach you to more adroitly handle day-to-day traffic and road situations - both in summer and winter - that often un-necessarily turn into "accidents." Knock on wood, I've never been involved in an accident that has resulted in an insurance claim in 44 years of driving...and while I save my most spirited driving for the track, I do NOT drive slowly (or timidly) on the street.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It all depends. Is it a lease? Do you own it outright? Is it your forever car or do you like to change every couple of years?
I'm a softie. I'll be tucking mine in within the next couple of weeks. My rule is as soon as the salt hits the roads, the car goes into the garage for the winter.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Hi!

I stored my last 987.1 and just put my 981 away 2 weeks ago. I do,agree that it is absolutely painful seeing her covered and plugged in my garage. I am fortunate that my company car is an AWD SUV and will never expose my 981 to the salt and grime of the winter.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I understand the concern about salt and grime, but there are many beautiful clear winter driving days with dry pavement , when salt and grime are not an issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
PM me if you need a set of lighty used 18" stock sized WINTER tires I have for sale. I need to keep my OEM rims though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's a car, not a pacemaker. Drive it!!!!!!!

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey I'm coming to Toronto for work in early February and will be there for more than a year or two. I was planing on putting snow tires on my extra set of stock 18" wheels and driving it in the winter like everyone is saying !!
My question is, should I bring my Suzuki GSX-R 1000 with me or sell it in California ? How many months a year are you guys able to ride a bike ?
Thanks and sorry for the silly question ...
-Cali dude

** Hey "Rumble", I would be interested in the snow tires if you still have them when I get there !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ride mine almost 8 months a year. You may get an insurance shock on a GSXR1000 in Ontario. My m109 is about $1,500 a year with no option to removed it in the winter. Bike insurance is year round, my cayman that I store in the winter and own outright can carry only fire and theft for the winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts