Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that posts regarding winter or all season tires are very old. I have a 981s with 235/35/r20 on the front and 265/35/R20 on the rear. In researching manufacturers of winter and all season tires I can only find Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. The closest I could find, in a less expensive tire are Kumo tires where the front are 245/40R20 99w, the rear 265/35/R2 99V.

The main reason I want to go to a winter or all season tire is that I want to drive it in temperatures lower then 40 degree F. I will not be actually driving on snow covered roads. I am not concerned about wear.
In short:
1. Does anyone know of winter or all season tires from other manufacturers?

2. Would the Kumo front tires 245/40/20R work on my standard Porsche rims? Incidentally, I have 2 sets of rims.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree. If you need to drive in snow get winter tires. If you need to drive in sub 40 deg weather but have something else to drive in snow you could go with all seasons. For example, i put snows on my WRX, it’s unbeatable and fun in snow. But I put all seasons on my BRZ because we only get about 8-10 real snow days but plenty of cold ones. I will likely get all seasons for the 981 because I doubt it will be out in the snow but I want to continue to drive it in the dry cold weather.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Can't help with the Kumo fitment question, but I drove a 981 CS for five years in winter and am approaching the 3rd winter with the 718. We get a fair amount of snow and cold here in winter. I have used a couple of sets of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on a set of 18" Boxster wheels for all of that time. I will be replacing all four tires shortly, hopefully with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4, if I can find some. The reason for the switch to AS is that I only intend to drive the Cayman in favorable weather (I have another car and am retired), and the Michelins are extremely well rated.

Winter tires (they don't actually make "snow" tires anymore) are superior in snow and cold weather, but not by that much anymore, and I have found that the winter tires wear very quickly in warmer weather. The use of AS tires will give me a lot more leeway in shoulder season, where temperatures vary considerably above and below the 45F/7C minimum recommended temperature.

I don't know what your winters are like, but if the Cayman was my only car, I would get winter tires again.

Attached is a pdf of the Porsche approved winter tires for the 981.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm shopping for all season tires as I'll be driving at times throughout the cold months, but never in snow or ice. My finalists are:
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 +
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+
These are all very well rated on at least one of: TireRack, Discount Tire and / or Consumer Reports
I've used a similar Michelin tire for years, but it's been replaced and is hard to find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts