Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2013 Cayenne diesel
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have done a fair bit of winter driving including two 5k plus rally events north of the Arctic Circle. While proper tires are important (we use studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta's) driving for conditions and keeping a good line are equally important. For some cases, we have found lowering - then raising the air suspension will pack the snow down enough to drive on. Next as a precaution have the tow hooks installed prior to venturing out. We carry a full recovery kit, for occasional use a properly rated tow strap with soft shackles should be sufficient. Also a set of traction boards will help to dig out and self recover. We recommend using Maxtrax, there are cheaper solutions but have seen too many of them fail.
It goes w/o saying to bring basics like communications when out of cell phone reach, warm clothes, etc
Wool works better for us than synthetics.
Tire Plant Vehicle Car Snow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for your comments @ National park topic. I did not want to hijack the thread, so seeking your advice here. I noticed not much tire choice I have with my 19 inch wheels. as you suggested I need to get 18 wheels to put AT tires. Thinking about getting Falken or BFG trail, those are lighter = assume better Mpg.
Question to you is what is your Mpg with KO2?? Currently I get 27 City and 37 Highway. If only few miles deference, I may go with KO2. Thank you!
Btw I live in Seattle area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2013 Cayenne diesel
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question to you is what is your Mpg with KO2?? Currently I get 27 City and 37 Highway. If only few miles deference, I may go with KO2. Thank you!
Btw I live in Seattle area.
Our last KO2 tank prior to changing to Nokian Hakka's, we got 22.7 mpg -
Note, we carry a good bit of extra weight with our gear & off-road mods, especially the large roof rack with two awnings, etc significantly impact mpg. For us, we would not sacrifice off-road capability for mpg. Might consider how much on vs off-road driving you actually do. We have 12 wheels and tires for Otis, eight for the 911.
Will try to PM on Seattle.

Winter driving tips:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My usage will be mainly Highway to get to National parks/forests, and then forest / gravel road driving. Realistically 90+% Highway and 10- %gravel. During winter we go skiing, so need to have 3Peak. I saw the video to Arctic Circle.. very cool and want to go there with my son who just got drivers license, may be next summer.

22 might be too low, I really want to achieve 30+ Highway. I will try “Trail “” versions and see I can achieve. Also this will be my daily, so need to be comfortable as my wife and kids will start complaining.at this point(as of today…)I am planning to go with Flaken Wildpeak Trail version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts