Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the weather forcast, we are done for a while with convertable weather here in north east Ohio so with a heavy heart I put away my Boxster S for winter storage this past weekend. I did all of the same things I did last year to prep, and it seemed to work out well as last spring the car was ready to go as soon as the weather turned. I am just curious if anyone here as any further tips for things that should be done for a 6 month storage? Below are the steps I took:

1. Washed car very well including inside of rims, wipe down & vac interior
2. Drove car to gas station to fill up - to store with full tank as well as dry off brake disks - then wipe down wheels again to remove the rust that came off the brakes.
3. Clay the car down and put a fresh coat of wax - car will be road ready once the cover comes back off
4. Fuel stabilizer in tank
5. over inflate tires to 45psi
6. park car out of gear w/o parking break on, blocks on one wheel to prevent movement
7. 1 lb sta dry bags in passanger compartment and in each trunk to prevent moisture
8. plug in battery maintainer to cig lighter, crack window to run cord.
9. put on indoor car cover
10. worry that you forgot to do something

I also had an oil change last weekend at the local dealer. Some argue fresh oil prior to storage, some say fresh oil just after bringing out...

For those that store, don't forget to contact your insurance agent as well. This will save you hundreds on your auto insurance (now I am sounding like a Geico commercial). Seriously though, the only insurance you should need to maintain while in storage is comprehensive, everything else could be removed. This should bring your 6 month premium to around $25-$40.

Anyone have anything that I missed?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds about right. I am soon to follow here in Chicagoland. I am praying the salt spreaders take the winter off as does the snowmaker.... but reality is a storm will come sooner or later and the salt will be put down in piles... and heaps.

I over inflate my tires to 50 psi....not sure it really makes a difference. Never had a problem in the five years I have been putting my beloved Boxsters away for a long winter slumber.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I found this on s2ki.com a few years ago. Some of the items may not apply to you or your car, but it's seems to have some really good stuff on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds just about right.
I, also, stuff some wadded-up newspapers in the exhaust pipes to prevent critters from entering.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sigh, my day is coming too. Prolly not for another month though.

Unfortunately, here in PA, GEICO they told me I'd have to turn the plates in to get any sort of winter storage discount on my auto insurance.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Wow, I guess I've been fortunate here in the NYC area to be able to use the car in the winter, even if infrequently. As long as there is no salt on the roads, I've taken it out even with the temps in the low teens in summer tires. I know, bad all around but I do it early on a weekend day on empty roads.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'm with you Pete. I drive mine all year around, without winter tires, and only if the roads are dry. But that leaves a lot of driving, even last year when we had 80 inches of snow. I understand 20 inches is the norm. I can't imagine not driving it when the roads are dry. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any recommendation on the type battery maintainer to buy? What was your choice?
I have the Porsche one, but only because it was free from the dealer as part of a dispute I had with them. But I know you can just get the CTEC one which is the exact same for less than half the price.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for confirming I am on the right track with my storage steps. Now I just have to find something to keep my weekends busy until spring... when I am not snow blowing that is :) Hopefully the lake effect snow goes easy on us this year, but probably not.

That is too bad about the insurance in PA, my premium went down to $28 for 6 months for comprehensive only. Maybe look into a new insurance company or is it a PA law? I have Travelers FWIW.

·
Registered
393 Posts
me neither... I just bought my winter wheel/tire set to drive year around like ferdinand intended :).

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
me neither... I just bought my winter wheel/tire set to drive year around like ferdinand intended :).
Ferdinand would have been appalled at the corrosion caused by road salt. Have you ever looked at the underside of your car? A few folks from the northeast have posted photos of various chassis components, and the corrosion is alarming.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Looking at the weather forcast, we are done for a while with convertable weather here in north east Ohio so with a heavy heart I put away my Boxster S for winter storage this past weekend. I did all of the same things I did last year to prep, and it seemed to work out well as last spring the car was ready to go as soon as the weather turned. I am just curious if anyone here as any further tips for things that should be done for a 6 month storage? Below are the steps I took:

1. Washed car very well including inside of rims, wipe down & vac interior
2. Drove car to gas station to fill up - to store with full tank as well as dry off brake disks - then wipe down wheels again to remove the rust that came off the brakes.
3. Clay the car down and put a fresh coat of wax - car will be road ready once the cover comes back off
4. Fuel stabilizer in tank
5. over inflate tires to 45psi
6. park car out of gear w/o parking break on, blocks on one wheel to prevent movement
7. 1 lb sta dry bags in passanger compartment and in each trunk to prevent moisture
8. plug in battery maintainer to cig lighter, crack window to run cord.
9. put on indoor car cover
10. worry that you forgot to do something

I also had an oil change last weekend at the local dealer. Some argue fresh oil prior to storage, some say fresh oil just after bringing out...

For those that store, don't forget to contact your insurance agent as well. This will save you hundreds on your auto insurance (now I am sounding like a Geico commercial). Seriously though, the only insurance you should need to maintain while in storage is comprehensive, everything else could be removed. This should bring your 6 month premium to around $25-$40.

Anyone have anything that I missed?
Looks like you've got it pretty well covered. I put mine away a few hours ago. One more thing you might do is put little wood blocks under the wiper arms so that the rubber blades are not resting on the glass all winter. I don't know if that is really necessary, but I've been doing it for years.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Your windshield would last one week at best here in interior BC. I can see driving when the roads are dry but why bother? That's what God made Subarus for! Nice summary for winter storage. I also put a few mouse traps under the car ,just in case Mr Fieldmouse is looking for a winter home.:)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, could drive when the roads are dry but whats the point. That is what the daily driver is for :) put the road salt miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Everyone move to Texas where Cayman season is all year long!

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Ferdinand would have been appalled at the corrosion caused by road salt. Have you ever looked at the underside of your car? A few folks from the northeast have posted photos of various chassis components, and the corrosion is alarming.
Blue:

Yes, I've looked at the underside of my car. It's mostly plastic panels and the metal bits seem to be well treated with layers of zinc and other nice anti-corrosives. The metal parts that aren't exhaust parts will be sprayed with Waxoil when I install my winters. I'll drive the car every Tuesday night and on most weekends all year long unless the snow is higher than the ground clearance.

My car goes to good soft cloth car washes (gasp!) and is right now waiting for me at Economy Parking at O'hare. (OMFG!) It has a FRONT LICENSE PLATE mounted on a STOCK Porsche front license mount. I mounted it myself because the car came from Georgia. I DRILLED the two holes in the nose to fasten the mount. (Passing out soon!).

It's not all bad news. It gets stored in a climate controlled dry garage when I'm not abusing it. It gets oil changes at 10 K or less. Brake fluid changes every spring and maybe once more during the season, all other fluids changed at least bi-anually.

If salt is really disgusting, I'll wait it out and drive the Audi. If I have to replace a couple rusted bits someday, so be it. If the front of the car needs to be resprayed someday, it'll just get resprayed. I've been through the bit where I protect the nose and lower hood of a car with plastic only to have the upper hood bashed with a stone from a truck. I'll just deal with it if something happens.

One thing that concerns me is the windshield. It is kind of soft and seems to get little imperfections easily. They are building up and I know a new one is in my future. I imagine this is not cheap because the radio antenna is in the windshield. :beer:

I purposely bought a used CS because I wanted to track it and to DRIVE it. I'm not going to run it into the ground but I'm going to treat it like a good car. That's what it is.

You will likely win the concourse, but I'll be driving mine cross country and sliding it around in the snow and having a ball with it. :dance:

When you hit 30,000 miles, if you keep yours that long, mine will likely have 150,000 and a bit more patina but I won't love it any less. I'll have explored every inch of the thing, replaced all sorts of things like hoses and belts and, yes, maybe a corroded suspension piece or a worn out motor mount.

I've had precious cars before. I prefer semi-precious cars.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
^^^^ Ah, the horror, the horror! :hilarious:

There's no right or wrong answer here and I'm glad to see the mature lighthearted banter going back and forth.

I sorta take the middle road in this. While I would love to have a garage, I don't, so it sits under the cover outside. At 15,000 miles when I changed the exhaust out, the flange nuts were so rusted they flaked off like an Outback blooming onion appetizer.

My rear rotors now have a permanent rust stain that won't come off even after two track sessions. I'm sure that in a few more years, my exhaust hangers will rust off just like on my Audi after 40,000 miles.

Ack, I'm going off topic now!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts