Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Cayman and looking to add some winter gear. the 265/40/18 rear summer setup is limiting winter tire selection. Seeking input from others. Do you run a smaller tire on the current wheels? Do you run a smaller wheel and rubber? If so what wheel and rubber combinations?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run a square 235 set up with Blizzaks. Recommended by calling Tire Rack. They look small in the back but handle fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 18x8 225/40/18 and 18x9 245/40/18 with Michelin Pilot Aplin PA4s and they are quite awesome as they handle snow and all that but are amazing for cold weather performance.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I went with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL 94V 225/45R-17 all around; good tires, cheaper wheels.
Just easier to go with separate wheel and tire combo than to remounting twice a year.
But definitely speak to Jim at TireRack they know winter tires as they are in IN or MI and drive this kind of stuff themselves.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am running 225/45/18 front 255/45/18 rear on separate rims. Nexen Winguard Sport 2 tires. Very happy with the setup. Narrower tires are good for winter traction while slightly larger diameter improves clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am running 225/45/18 front 255/45/18 rear on separate rims. Nexen Winguard Sport 2 tires. Very happy with the setup. Narrower tires are good for winter traction while slightly larger diameter improves clearance.
You don’t have rubbing issue with 225/45 and 255/45 on your 18’s. I was thinking of doing the same, narrower but taller. That change I was hoping it OK and it sounds like it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a square 235 set up with Blizzaks. Recommended by calling Tire Rack. They look small in the back but handle fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Thinking of doing the same. Can you post a picture of the rear setup?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts