Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to Colorado this summer and will be picking up a new 2011 Cayman S. For you Rocky Mountain owners, I have a general question regarding winter tires.
Assuming that your Cayman is not a daily driver, do most people invest in a second set of tires (performance winters or all seasons) for use during the winter months or do you just wait for nice sunny days and clear roads?
I have lived in Colorado in the past and I know that the weather can change in a heartbeat. I would hate to be out on summer performance tires and have the temps suddenly drop to freezing with a little sleet or snow thrown in. Any advice much appreciated.:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have a second car (or SUV), there would be no reason to have winter tires. While the weather forecasts can be off by how many inches we get, you at least know when it's going to snow. I keep my Cayman on insurance all winter and drive it on the many nice days we have throughout that season. If the forecast calls for snow or cold, I pat the Cayman on the nose before I leave in the morning in my 4-Runner. Welcome back to Colorado!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a reasonable approach. One reason for my question is that I will probably go with after-market wheels and will retain the OEM 18” wheels for either winter or track tires.

Coincidentally, our 2nd car will be a 4Runner too. There shouldn’t be any need for me to take the Cayman out when freezing conditions are in the forecast.
We are looking forward to living in Colorado again!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Track tires? Check out High Plains Raceway. It's about an hour east of Denver off I-70 near Byers. Go to youtube and type in 'High Plains Raceway' for some in-car videos. And join the Rocky Mountain Region PCA club. We run the third weekend during the summer out there. Maybe we'll see you there.

As for the weather, its supposed to be almost 80 tomorrow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Track tires? Check out High Plains Raceway. It's about an hour east of Denver off I-70 near Byers.
Yeah, I already had checked that out - looks awesome and it is great to know that there is a local race track to go to near Denver. I have been on a track with some BMW M cars in the past and it was a blast. It is something that I would like to do on occasion with my Cayman.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
If you have a second car (or SUV), there would be no reason to have winter tires. While the weather forecasts can be off by how many inches we get, you at least know when it's going to snow. I keep my Cayman on insurance all winter and drive it on the many nice days we have throughout that season. If the forecast calls for snow or cold, I pat the Cayman on the nose before I leave in the morning in my 4-Runner. Welcome back to Colorado!
+1. That's what I do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Recommended Michelin Alpins here...

I have run the porsche recommended Michelin Pilot Alpins for the past three winters in Colorado Springs. My car is a daily driver and I have yet to NOT drive it due to weather. That being said, I'd look for more agressive snow tires when they are due for replacement. I wish Bridgestone made blizzaks in this size. Also, I plan to install a Quaife TBD this summer in anticipation of next year's winter. I'm thinking about going with non-S 17" wheels for their narrower profile for more traction.

I'm used to Audi Quattro and blizzaks, and this car is nowhere near as competent in the snow as the audis. I want to get as close as I can without ruining the car's winter handling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Recommended Michelin Alpins here...

I do just as described above, I leave my 19" summer tires on year-round, drive the Cayman 3-4 times a week all winter and if there's snow I drive the Blazer. Where I live, just south of Denver snow doesn't stay for long so we get blasted with a foot or so, then it's gone two days later and I break out the P-car again. Even with winter tires you'd bottom out on that type of snow anyway so have a second option or wait the 24-72 hours for it all to melt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I haven't purchased winter tires yet, and I've left my Cayman S garaged on days with high snow probability. However, I'll most likely get a set of winter tires in time for next snow season. I've driven all my previous cars year round, including an E55 AMG that put almost 600lb-ft of the torque to the ground through the rear wheels. Even that was fine on winter tires with 100lb of sand bags in the trunk.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you guys run 18" or 19" for your regular street performace tires?
18s! The roads here take a serious beating from the constant freeze/thaw cycles during the winter months. Add to this the major trucking crossroads through Denver on I-70 and I-25 which leads to rutted and rough interstates. The 18s provide an extra margin of "give" when you smack that inevitable pot hole that sudden appears after the car in front of you passes it! 19's are pretty, but you are likely to have more problems with cuts and bent wheels unless you are very careful, driving well known roads and have the ability to memorize where the big holes are!

Need more reasons for 18s?? Tires are less expensive, less rotational mass == faster autocross times, ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.