Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you actually have a set of winter tires? I have some on order from TireRack, but they are backordered and I won't get them until mid to late Jan. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should cancel the order. A couple of weeks ago, we had freezing temps and my LX handles that just fine. This week we're back in the low 50s and I'm driving around with my Pirelli P-Zeros perfectly fine. My understanding is that at 7C/44F, summer tires and winter tires are equivalent, but under 44F winter tires have more traction and vice versa. Technically, Winter doesn't start until Dec 21st and most of the colder temps is in Jan and Feb, but if we only have a month or two where I shouldn't drive on my summer tires, I'll just leave my CGTS in the garage. So currently, it doesn't seem like it's worth it here generally to have winter tires if my CGTS is not my only car. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've used winter tyres for the last 3 years and wouldn't go back now. You are correct in saying that they don't come into their own until temperatures fall to around 7C, but after that the difference is considerable. Even if the roads are just wet without any ice, the grip is so much better. And if you do get any snow, you will not believe the amount of traction and grip available. Yes its a relatively expensive outlay, but when they are fitted your summer tyres are not getting worn so their lifespan is automatically extended.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Agree with Trev450 - while you "can" drive on summer performance tires, once the temp gets down you'll see significantly degraded performance in stops or on curves, even if it's just "wet". I remember a "lucky" day when I went sailing through an intersection in my BMW Z3 with summer tires because they had lost most of their grip ("lucky" because there was no one else coming through the intersection)

My car is my primary driver (otherwise I need to talk the wife out of hers for the day). So I got the Dunlop Winter Sports (tire Rack only offered these and the Pirellis) and have been quite pleased with the performance. If you don't "need" to drive yours on a daily basis, you are probably correct - you don't "need" winter tires, but I would not drive in Jan/Feb at all given the temps (of course here in Boston, we actually get those odd days where the mercury actually hits 50 degrees - it's still not an optimal time for summer tires).

The advantage of winter tires is not only the enhanced grip, but also protection from potholes (I downsized to 18" wheels). So there's more rubber between you and the edge of that hole that's waiting to eat your rim.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All great points that prompted me to order them in the first place, however, in the PNW and specifically the Puget Sound (Seattle) area, the weather is mild (probably due to the nearby mountains and large bodies of water) with few really hot days and few really cold days. I've read that many people who have winter tires tend to put them on late Nov and leave them on til maybe April. It's Dec and except for one week of freezing temps, it's in the mid 50F during the day which is better for summer tires than winters and I'm certainly not switching my tires back and forth. Although I've lived in the PNW all my life and more than 20 years in the Puget Sound, I don't recall how often we dip below 44F and previously I'd just have all-seasons. Perhaps I'll just watch how this winter goes and decide for next winter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
.. the latest generation of winter tires (in just the past two years or so), have changed all the existing assumptions regarding their capabilities. If you wish to not only use, but additionally enjoy your sports car in all of the varied changing weather that occurs in north american winters, winter tires are requisite. I have been very pleasantly surprised by Michelin's Alpin PA4. This year I tried something a bit different though .. instead of 'downsizing' my wheels and installing a relatively narrow winter tire, I went with 19" and a size wider than stock. I am aware of the 'narrow tread - superior bite' in the ice argument, but found the improvements in the compound and tread design can handle the width, and when I'm not on ice the grip is far superior to all season offerings. (err .. and they look great too, ha)

- enjoy

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a set of wheels/winter tires from Tire Rack and put them on a couple of weeks ago. We have had many below 40 F days recently and the cold weather is still to come. So I figured I either had to get the winter tires or put the car to sleep for the winter. You should be able to get data on low and high temps for your area then decide what you need to do. But I wouldn't risk my life or my car on summer tires where I live.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Michelin's Alpin PA4's here also with cayman 18"rims...bought in march from this sites classified section for a great price.....one week after purchasing car because I knew It would be my DD ...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looked up historical data for my zip and it looks like only Feb gets really cold. Of course it varies year to year, but most of the it seems I can either drive safely on my summer tires or just use my LX. I think I'll cancel the order for this season and reevaluate next season as it doesn't seem worth it for effectively one month when it's really needed. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have winter tires on two of my cars. My S4 and my GTI. If I drove my Porsche during the winter I would have a set of 4 winter tires on winter rims. The temperature here today is -7C which is 19.4F. So yes we need winter tires. My suggestion is go ahead with your order you can always sell them here on the forum. Good luck with everything. Cheers from the great white north.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Thanks for all the people answering from outside the Puget Sound area!

Since I live close and work even closer to Pokerhobo, I think you did the right thing in cancelling.

I had winter tires on my car (Michelin PA4s) during my Euro Delivery and they were great!

This is now the third winter (starting end of Jan 2013 when I picked my car up at Barrier's) I am driving on my 20in summer tires. The P-Zeros where a bit slick when it was wet and around 40F, so it was fun getting the tail out at 90 degree slow speed turns. Now I have Michelin PSS and I feel the grip in the wet even at lower temps so far is better. I drove the car a few weeks ago when it was dry and around 25F and had no problems. Just drive carefully and be aware that the tires are not as good as during the summer.

Now if there is snow or ice on the road (or there is a chance that it gets that on the day you need to drive), I just take one of the Subarus that have winter tires mounted or work from home (given that others drive like sh*t around here in these conditions).

If the Porsche was my only car and I would use it to go skiing (like the picture of the old 911 I posted in another thread), or I was living in an area where there was more than the total amount of 6 weeks of snowy days (snow was sticking for more than 10 minutes on the ground) in the over 15 years I have been living here, then I would get the winter tires.

Reactions: Pokerhobo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts