Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be posting on the wrong thread, if so feel free to move.
I just bought winter tires and wheels. Now is the time to buy, great deals. My question is at what temperature do winter tires become less efficient? Do they become dangerous at higher outside tempertures? There is lots of info about when summer tires should be used with caution. I can 't find anything about winter tires.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Winter tires have superior dry grip to summers around 45F (7C) and below. Once temps are consistently at or above that, take them off and store them. They don't become dangerous at higher temps, but they wear considerably faster than in colder temps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Winter tires have superior dry grip to summers around 45F (7C) and below. Once temps are consistently at or above that, take them off and store them. They don't become dangerous at higher temps, but they wear considerably faster than in colder temps.
What he said. :cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I may be posting on the wrong thread, if so feel free to move.
I just bought winter tires and wheels. Now is the time to buy, great deals. My question is at what temperature do winter tires become less efficient? Do they become dangerous at higher outside tempertures? There is lots of info about when summer tires should be used with caution. I can 't find anything about winter tires.
I did a crap load of research on this subject before I bought mine and yea above the 45F temp, the do wear quicker, the higher the temp the faster they wear, but they also start to perform worse as the temp gets higher also, actually increasing stopping distance in the wet as the temp gets in the higher 50's F

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The Porsche N-rated performance winter tires for Caymans/Boxsters and 911s are surprisingly capable dry road tires even when outside temperatures are in the 60s and 70s, and keeping them on for a couple of additional months until you are SURE it won't snow again won't result in significant additional wear (this is based on experience: we keep our winter tires on both our Porsche's until at least the end of May). Regular non-performance winter tires (such as non-performance Blizzaks) may wear quicker on warm, dry pavement, but the bigger concern is they feel and drive like crap.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The performance winter tires do handle better in the dry than a tire like the Blizzak WS80 but they are still not going to give you the performance of a summer tire. WIth all the sipes that a winter tire has they are going to squirm around more as they are driven more aggressively. They are also more easily chuncked on the sidewall when they are pushed. Like others have said 45 degrees is the tipping point.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The performance winter tires do handle better in the dry than a tire like the Blizzak WS80 but they are still not going to give you the performance of a summer tire. WIth all the sipes that a winter tire has they are going to squirm around more as they are driven more aggressively. They are also more easily chuncked on the sidewall when they are pushed. Like others have said 45 degrees is the tipping point.
Thanks Jim; I wasn't suggesting keeping winter tires on in the summer. In this part of Wetern Canada, March and April have the highest amounts of snowfall of the year, and getting a couple of big dumps in May isn't unusual. This past week we've had a couple of days where temperatures were in the 60s Fahrenheit, but we will certainly have a couple more weeks (at least) in the next two months with temperatures below zero. It's not practical to put summer tires back on a DD in this "transition" period between spring and summer when you KNOW more snow and freezing temeratures are coming. IMO, having swapped your summers back on your car when the snow and freezing temperatures hit again is much more problematic (and potentially dangerous) than keeping the winters on a few extra weeks when temperatures may be higher than optimal for winter performance compounds.

In my experience, driving conservatively on those few days from March to May when temperatures are in the 60s doesn't create any pronounced additional wear and certainly hasn't chunked the sidewalls in the two years the N-spec Sottozeros have been on my Cayman S. Likewise, theDunlop Winter Sport 3Ds (non N-Spec) that have been on my 911 GTS the past two winters haven't suffered any ill effects using them until the end of May.

Of course, if you're driving hard on winters through warm spells, all bets are off. That would be :crazy:.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tire and wheels are supposed to arrive today from Suncoast. I ordered 19" Boxster S rims and should have Michelin Pilot Alpin4 tires. Suncoast had these sets 1/2 price.
It's warming up here so with the good advice I got here I'll probably not put them on till next year.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The tire and wheels are supposed to arrive today from Suncoast. I ordered 19" Boxster S rims and should have Michelin Pilot Alpin4 tires. Suncoast had these sets 1/2 price.
It's warming up here so with the good advice I got here I'll probably not put them on till next year.
Same specs as mine. 19 " lobster wheels and Michelin alpina. I had to put down $ 2700 for tires in Korea. It was alomst double the price then and you got half price, which makesme mad!!

I envy you. ~~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts