Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Cayman S that is proving to be next to useless in the current (UK) weather. I've seen information about the benefits of winter tyres in terms of grip on cold road surfaces, but do they help in snow/snowy conditions. Does anyone have experience of their use and the real benefits? Does anyone swap to winter tyres every year.....if so, how much does the swap cost?

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
After snow and ice in the spring of 2006. I purchased some 17" Standard Cayman rims for my S and shod them with Conti winter tyres. The difference is night and day as standard pilot sports just don't work under 5C and as soon as there is snow or ice they sit on top and just spin.
JackWood has just bought the very wheels and tyres of the guy I sold them to for his 996 and has said the very same "Night & Day" difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Cayman S that is proving to be next to useless in the current (UK) weather. I've seen information about the benefits of winter tyres in terms of grip on cold road surfaces, but do they help in snow/snowy conditions. Does anyone have experience of their use and the real benefits? Does anyone swap to winter tyres every year.....if so, how much does the swap cost?
tell me about it. I crashed mine a few weeks back when the icey conditions started up north. Came to a roundabout. Turned the wheel right and simply carried on forwards!! :(

After getting it back i decided to look into winter tires. I have turbo wheels and winter tires are impossible to find for the rear (19/265/35).

Good luck.

PM me if you find any! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in New England (west of Boston), but definitely snow tires are the way to go. I got a 2nd set of OEM 17" wheels and put on Nokia Hakkapeliitta Rsi tires, which I found in almost the right size. These have been great in the cold (10F no problem) and in snow. I recommend the 2nd set of wheels and changing them yourself; it takes me about an hour.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey nu,

Thanks for the link :)

I have come across those before. Lots of manufacturers seem to make good winter tires but my problem is that I can't find anywhere to buy them in the UK.. :(

Porsche garage said they could help but want £550 per tire and i'll have to wait a week to get them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey nu,

Thanks for the link :)

I have come across those before. Lots of manufacturers seem to make good winter tires but my problem is that I can't find anywhere to buy them in the UK.. :(

Porsche garage said they could help but want £550 per tire and i'll have to wait a week to get them.
Are they including a wheel for that?

:eek:
:eek:

£550 x 4?, surely for that, you could get an old motor to use when the weather's bad!

Seriously though, Bingo!

Buy Porsche Winter Car Tyres | Design 911

might be worth giving Blackcircles a call to, they told me they can get any tyre on the market.
:cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
They bloody well should be!

I'll be buying a set of 17's for winter tyres next time round. The tyres I have now work with a very gentle right foot, just not well enough. I think its the tread block depth and pattern that really helps things along.

I hear good things about Nokians and Vredsteins. Considering where they come from (Vred's are Russian I think and Nokians must be from Finland or similar) I'm willing to bet they know what they are doing!

Cheers

Coanda

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Sorry, only just seen this!

Yes I picked up the wheels that Tess mentioned above.

I drove to his friends house down country lanes covered in snow, mostly sideways and at 2 mph. I left there traveling normal road speeds without the PSM light even blinking on!! I just cannot beleve the difference they make. I am still staggered.

A colleague at work got his Scooby stuck in our works carpark! I pulled him out with my car! I could get my car easily up single track lanes that were several inches deep in snow, with steep inclines! They really are that good.

What is just as surprising is now that the snow has gone, the grip on the damp greasy and patchy icy roads is just awesome too.

In the summer I will be ordering winter tires for the family car as well, ready for next winter. Trying to find anything once the weather has started to tun is just pointless. Everywhere had sold out after the first day of snow.....

However the winter tires didn't resolve my family lugging issues, and the Focus RS on standard Contis was just as bad as the CS, so I ended up picking up a 14 year-old Landrover Disco for £2k as well :)

Mint 14 yr-old Disco for family chores!! Only 70k miles!!

17s With Conti WinterContacts

Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am another one who has just noticed this topic. I specced my CS with 19" Carrera wheels. I had always intended to get winter tyres, having run them on the Honda Integra Type R that I use as a my practical 4 seater!

Anyway I found some 2nd hand standard 18" Cayman wheels and bought a set of Michelin Alpin Sports from Costco - 670 quid the set. As everyone says - Chalk and Cheese come to mind.

I am living in the Grampian region of Scotland, so snow and ice are not uncommon. So come November I change over to winter tyres which stay on until April. You still have drive with some care in really bad conditions, but with the engine being where it is, traction is good. The other day I drove up to Glenshee with upto 6" snow on the road without any problems. In fact I was coping rather better than some of the 4 x 4s. Winter tyres are more of a help than 4 wheel drive. Without grip 4 wheel drive isn't much use.

Also in winter conditions they don't wear much, so i reckon I will get 3 or 4 winters use out of the set. And the Alpin Sports are N rated and rated upto 149 mph. So they don't limit use of the CSs performance.

What should happen is for the insurance companies to take this on board and encourage their use, like they do in Germany. If you are involved in accident and don't have winter tyres, you get no sympathy from your insurers. You are on your own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good thread. I was amazed at how poor my CS was when we had snow and ice a month or 2 ago. My journey to work is mainly motorway so no problem ... until I got stuck on the 'completely flat' car park at work. It was embarrassing! I even got stuck getting IN the car park one day and just abandoned it across 3 spaces(!) whilst Audis and Golfs just sailed past.

I will DEFINITELY be looking to invest in a set of wheels and winter tyres for next year ... I couldn't take the shame of not being able to get INTo a car park space next next Winter :gossip:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also going for winter tyres - but did seem a problem in 18" when I was looking a few months ago. If I go to a 17" and a different profile does this make a difference regarding insurance cover. I would hope not but ........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts