Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for a set of 18" winter wheels to go with my Michelin Alpin snows, for my 981. I have racked my brain with specs and widths etc and most calculators online don't tell you specifically what you need, if anything, for them to work. So here is an option I just came upon, will these work and what spacers would I need?

996 Turbo wheels:

FRONT WHEEL SIZE 8JX18 ET 50

REAR WHEEL SIZE: 11JX18 ET 45

FRONT TIRE SIZE: 235/40ZR/18

REAR TIRE SIZE: 295/40ZR/18

What I have now:

FRONT WHEEL SIZE 8JX19 ET 57

REAR WHEEL SIZE: 9.5JX19 ET 45

My Alpin tire sizes:

REAR TIRE SIZE: 265/40ZR/18 (I'd probably need to replace these two with at least 285's on the 11" turbo wheel)

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
120 Posts
What I have now:

FRONT WHEEL SIZE 8JX19 ET 57

REAR WHEEL SIZE: 9.5JX19 ET 45

My Alpin tire sizes:

REAR TIRE SIZE: 265/40ZR/18 (I'd probably need to replace these two with at least 285's on the 11" turbo wheel)

Thanks for any help!
The correct tyre size for 981 for 18's are 235/45/18 front and 265/45/18 rear so your speedo will be out if you use the 987 sized winter tyres above...

If you are looking for some cheap 18's for winter look up BBS SR wheels which are available in 981 width/offsets or perhaps look at OEM 18" Cayman or Boxter wheels which can sometimes be seen cheap on ebay

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got the BBS SR wheels and the Dunlop Winter Sport from Tire Rack, I've had them on for about 3 weeks and have been happy with them. The finish on the wheels is called "Anthracite", go to the tire rack web site and you can get a good idea of how they will look on your car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got the BBS SR wheels and the Dunlop Winter Sport from Tire Rack, I've had them on for about 3 weeks and have been happy with them. The finish on the wheels is called "Anthracite", go to the tire rack web site and you can get a good idea of how they will look on your car.
Those wheels aren't bad looking. I also saw the Sport Cup wheels which are cheaper, but maybe for a bad reason. Were your OE wheels the 20"?

I don't see the Dunlops anymore on TireRack in 18" wheel size, they have the Pirelli Sottozeros, though. However, when I put it all in my cart it is warning me about things being the wrong size. I suppose that's because the smallest OE on '15 Cayman S is 19"?

Also, did you have TireRack mount/balance them with sensors and then just install them yourself? If you had the sensors installed, did the TPMS system pick them up?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had TireRack install the sensors, mount and balance. They shipped to my door ready to install. I swapped the wheels myself. After the swap when I started the car there was a message about not seeing the TPMS (I don't remember exactly what it said), all I had to do was choose the 18" winter wheel selection. It took a couple of minutes but the car picked up the TPMS with no problem.

BTW I got the same message in the shopping cart because the stock wheels on the S are also 19". Even though at the beginning they ask if you want to go to a smaller wheel. I guess they just want you to be sure you want to go to a smaller wheel.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had TireRack install the sensors, mount and balance. They shipped to my door ready to install. I swapped the wheels myself. After the swap when I started the car there was a message about not seeing the TPMS (I don't remember exactly what it said), all I had to do was choose the 18" winter wheel selection. It took a couple of minutes but the car picked up the TPMS with no problem.

BTW I got the same message in the shopping cart because the stock wheels on the S are also 19". Even though at the beginning they ask if you want to go to a smaller wheel. I guess they just want you to be sure you want to go to a smaller wheel.
Thanks, I'll have to talk it over with the wife after I see how the car handles in the cold/wet. I'll take it really easy and if I feel uneasy, then I'll be buying them for the peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts