Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lithium Battery

I read that the new GT3 RS has a lithium battery that saves about 10kg. Where can we get one to put inside the Cayman?

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Re: Lithium Battery

The GT3-RS Lithium Battery (Option Code - 191) is listed as $1,700 I am not sure if you will ever see one optioned with this.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts

If it's a daily driver, think you'd want one of their "endurance" units, not the "racing" type - gonna go thru many more cranking cycles. And 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so GT3 RS option saves 22 not 35-40 lbs.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts

The GT3-RS Lithium Battery (Option Code - 191) is listed as $1,700 I am not sure if you will ever see one optioned with this.
Never underestimate the Porsche customer. To each his own. I bet some folks feel the same way about deviated stitching, $1,050 steering wheels and PCCB, yet we see plenty of them out there. In fact, I know a guy that would have gotten the $8,000 brakes if he could have... :)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

Oh... Something else. Never mind the option cost, what's the replacement cost after the battery dies, as all batteries do? I bet that would spin your head.
Yeah, probably almost as much as a replacement PCCB rotor. ;) (Says one of the fools with the $1050 XPA steering wheel...)

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

How about a Braille Battery?

Although they do offer lithium batteries, they also offer much less expensive (more conventional) alternatives that would still save you quite a bit of weight. Weight which is placed pretty darn high in a Cayman.

And, you could grab one from a sponsor Suncoast.

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't a lithium battery require some additional electronics to properly control charge rate, max charge etc? I didn't believe that they're a straight drop in replacement for lead-acid.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't a lithium battery require some additional electronics to properly control charge rate, max charge etc? I didn't believe that they're a straight drop in replacement for lead-acid.
I'm familiar with two quite different non-automotive lithium battery systems. A common thread was that there was a heck of a lot of electronics for charge/discharge control and for overheat monitoring/isolation for cells. In one case, you literally couldn't see the batteries in the power section chassis for all the PCBs and wires. In the other case, the additional weight of the electronics added substantially to the battery cells weight, in both cases the size increased substantially. Both were very high reliability systems and I'd hope that Porsche would be equally conservative. You simply don't want an overheat/discharge loop - it is ugly.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts

On a quick read through the voltphreaks website it appears that the needed electronics are built into the battery pack. I wonder how much that adds to the recurring cost each time you need to replace the battery vs having it separate and reusable?

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts

If it's a daily driver, think you'd want one of their "endurance" units, not the "racing" type - gonna go thru many more cranking cycles. And 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so GT3 RS option saves 22 not 35-40 lbs.
I was comparing the weight of the typical lead-acid battery, ~45lbs (20kg), with those on the voltphreaks website, which were citing 2.5+kg (5.5lbs+). Don't know what batteries Porsche is utilizing for their figures.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

On a quick read through the voltphreaks website it appears that the needed electronics are built into the battery pack. I wonder how much that adds to the recurring cost each time you need to replace the battery vs having it separate and reusable?
Those types of power management electronics are not very expensive. I bet we are just paying for the R&D that went into developing the Li-iron batteries, that are actually significantly cheaper to manufacture than Li-cobalt.

·
Beach Nut
99 Posts

How about a Braille Battery?

Although they do offer lithium batteries, they also offer much less expensive (more conventional) alternatives that would still save you quite a bit of weight. Weight which is placed pretty darn high in a Cayman.

And, you could grab one from a sponsor Suncoast.

Cheers,
Chuck
I just installed one, and so far I'm happy. They are also smaller than the Moll by a good bit, but mounting is easy to fabricate with included hold-down or aluminum bar.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I just installed one, and so far I'm happy. They are also smaller than the Moll by a good bit, but mounting is easy to fabricate with included hold-down or aluminum bar.
What pound battery did you opt for? I have been contemplating buying a Braille but I am uncertain as to which would be suffice to power my vehicle on a day to day basis. As reference it is my daily driver and I have no external electronics aside from what the vehicle is equipped with from the factory.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts

I just installed one, and so far I'm happy...
Like Cartel, I am interested to learn which battery you opted for. It is hard to justify spending nearly $2K on a lithium battery, but the other Braille models seem pretty reasonably priced. If they can put up with daily use and save weight I will pick one up when the time comes.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts

Like Cartel, I am interested to learn which battery you opted for. It is hard to justify spending nearly $2K on a lithium battery, but the other Braille models seem pretty reasonably priced. If they can put up with daily use and save weight I will pick one up when the time comes.

Chuck
There have been previous threads on this - with mixed results when it came to using the Braille batteries. Do a search - I am going off of memory when it came to the conclusions, but I do know that I put off buying one due to reliability, especially of the smaller ones. The lithium option 'appears' to be more robust, but at a big price. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts