Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone that might be getting a GT4 worry about some dirtbag breaking off the rear wing.
It just looks like something that a jealous person would try and break off for pure meanness.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Does anyone that might be getting a GT4 worry about some dirtbag breaking off the rear wing.
It just looks like something that a jealous person would try and break off for pure meanness.
Its too small. a GT3RS wing would be a better target :)

Seriously though, Subaru WRX STIs have those huge wings. GT3s have big wings. Do people break those off? Seriously, I think the public might laugh at them if you drive them in public and not a track and think them ridiculous but that masses perceptions shouldn't bother you. It would not bother me (except my wife might want to hang the laundry on it).

·
Registered
177 Posts
What he said. You might as well worry about them breaking off your wing mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
BTW, this is something I have given some thought to. Not so much people messing with it but with a GT3RS size wing my wife telling me:

"Take it down. I can't see a thing when trying to back up"

That is something she would say. Not sure how to respond to that.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Haters probably would try to key your car before trying to break the wing. It is a flash car after all, but I don't think the wing would be the main problem.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I had the first 1997 Type R in Western Canada. It was 3 days old when someone removed the rear wing with a crowbar in an underground parking garage. Cops said because the car was new, it was probably someone stealing it to make copies.

Now the potential market for fake Type R wings back then (any Integra) was larger than for knock-off GT4 wings for 981 Caymans...but if I had a GT4 I'd be parking it in VERY public or uber-SECURE parking spots.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Integras had a much larger market (regarding theft) wanting parts, including people stuffing the engine into the bajillion Civics out there. Chows4us is right, people are more likely to do other vandalism. I've had two cars vandalized in the past -- one was a pickup truck, but every other car on the street (14 in all) was also keyed. The other was because a crazy ex of a girl I was seeing found out where I lived (I was specifically targeted). Odds are good that if your car is vandalized, it isn't random. It's almost always targeted.

The only performance car I can think of that had ridiculous rate of theft claims were Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIIIs, which hit the US alongside F&F2. They had a higher theft claim rate than the Escalade -- something around 13.5 claims per 1000 vehicles. The cars weren't stolen, but ones like the MR would have owners return to find their front seats, wheels/tires, rear spoiler (carbon fiber, and $3000 from the dealer) and hood gone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Years ago I had a Civic that came with a small wing on it.
I came out from supper one night and someone had stolen it off the car..

·
Registered
476 Posts
Years ago I had a Civic that came with a small wing on it.
I came out from supper one night and someone had stolen it off the car..
I think I've seen that show - - Dinner and an Upgrade! :eek:

Seriously, no matter the car/style/whatever, you don't mess with another man's car. People are just wrong.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Its too small. a GT3RS wing would be a better target :)

Seriously though, Subaru WRX STIs have those huge wings. GT3s have big wings. Do people break those off? Seriously, I think the public might laugh at them if you drive them in public and not a track and think them ridiculous but that masses perceptions shouldn't bother you. It would not bother me (except my wife might want to hang the laundry on it).
I used mine as a picnic table. lol I don't park mine in bad neighborhoods, four plus years w/o a problem. My brother had a Honda back in the late 90's with a wing west spoiler, he was parked in a billiards parking lot in a bad neighborhood and someone tried to pry it off with a crowbar without success.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Apparently, no Honda/Acura with a rear wing or spoiler is safe LOL. Porsche wings that are worth more than many Hondas are OK though.:crazy:

·
Registered
781 Posts
People can suck...a few months ago i had someone through pasta with marinara sauce all over the trunk of my white BS. I spent hours trying to get the stains out / buffing and it seems like it may finally be gone. I think the marquis itself makes you vulnerable to envy...

Big spoiler probably won't help, but really don't let the spoiler spoil your fun (pun intended)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts