Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I purchased a 2014 Porsche 911 4S back in November, 2014. When it was delivered from my local Porsche dealer it was covered in scratches. The delivery man's comment was..."I told them I was not delivering this car as dirty as it was and they had a crackhead come out and dry buff it." We went through all the channels of reporting it and was told by Porsche NA that we had to give the dealer the opportunity to rectify the situation instead of sending the car back. They found and paid a local body shop to completely destroy the black paint. The swirls and lines are so bad it looks like a zebra finish. The body shop said they buffed on it for five days because the scratches were so bad. Long story short...Porsche NA said the dealership should remedy the situation however, they couldn't make them do anything. So I have had a car in my garage for 17 months that hasn't been driven and we just found out that we have to go to arbitration, at a cost of $40,000 for my attorney's retainer fee. They now say since an attorney is involved, it's between me and Napleton Porsche. That's the easy way out, Porsche. Where were you when I didn't have an attorney and was trying to get your help? This is my fourth and last Porsche. There are too many other options out there to have to deal with this type of company.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I agree that its a bad situation (would piss me off just as much), but don't blame Porsche or customer service. Its the crackhead American who screwed your car. Once you cause paint damage, there is real no way back to perfection.

Honestly, I think you should just move on. Get the car to a good car detailing shop and they'll improve it (swirl marks are easy to remove). No it wont be perfect, but nor will it be when you tailgate another crackhead American clunker ford pickup truck with oversize mud flap tires on degraded American 'loose gravel' roads.

You waited too long by keeping the car 17 months. If anything, you should have refused delivery. I'm not going to jump to conclusions as I don't know the whole situation, but Porsche customer service saying they will refuse to help you since you got an attorney sounds like you are speaking to wrong person and maybe you should get their manager (or manager's manager).

·
Super Moderator
6,775 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your story... no customer should be treated like that. And yes, no way on earth you should've accepted receiving the car. And keeping it for months in your garage is just an accommodated loss.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't pay a lawyer 40k USD to make him richer and make me more anxious and miserable with no guarantees. My advise is to cut your losses and move on. Not all battles are meant to be fought.

Detail the car and sell it for loss, but you'll gain peace of mind and keep the 40k lawyer's fees.

Move on... that's the only advice that comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Being new to the Porsche world that's quite staggering actually. My purchase experience though while not bad was not 'great' considering I am buying a 100k car. I am sure there are forum members here spending 3 times what I have easily and have had stellar experiences but I guess it's not a Porsche thing but rather the dealership one has to deal with in acquiring their car. Sorry to hear about your troubles. But like the other folks have already said I would have refused to accept delivery!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Since you did accept delivery, I see no point in telling you you shouldn't have accepted delivery, that horse has left the barn. However, I think that paying an attorney $40K for arbitration is ridiculous. The first thing to consider is what are you expecting as an acceptable result of the arbitration? In very general terms, if you paid $150k for the 4S, the attorney fees bring that price to $190K. What can you arbitrate to make that up? Even if they paid you for the car, you would still be out $40K, probably more than you would lose on a trade. I would hold off on the attorney and get back to NA with an offer - maybe have them the the car back and replace it with a current model in the same price range, maybe accept a reasonable trade in price and go for another? I'm not sure what you are looking for and you haven't indicated. Would you accept a full repaint? It is indeed a terrible situation but only you can decide what your next move might be. I have found NA to be helpful and, while they can't force a dealer to do anything, they can pay that dealer to do something. On an issue I had, the dealer said there was nothing they could do nut NA ponied up $1600 to fix the issue. I realize this is small change compared to your issue but an example of what NA is capable of. They were helpful because I was a repeat buyer and had all servicing done at dealerships. Since you have had 4 previous P cars, you should have a stellar relationship with the company. At any rate, good luck with this terrible issue. Sorry that you have to go through this.

I purchased a 2014 Porsche 911 4S back in November, 2014. When it was delivered from Napleton Porsche, it was covered in scratches. The delivery man's comment was..."I told them I was not delivering this car as dirty as it was and they had a crackhead come out and dry buff it." We went through all the channels of reporting it and was told by Porsche NA that we had to give the dealer the opportunity to rectify the situation instead of sending the car back. They found and paid a local body shop to completely destroy the black paint. The swirls and lines are so bad it looks like a zebra finish. The body shop said they buffed on it for five days because the scratches were so bad. Long story short...Porsche NA said the dealership should remedy the situation however, they couldn't make them do anything. So I have had a car in my garage for 17 months that hasn't been driven and we just found out that we have to go to arbitration, at a cost of $40,000 for my attorney's retainer fee. They now say since an attorney is involved, it's between me and Napleton Porsche. That's the easy way out, Porsche. Where were you when I didn't have an attorney and was trying to get your help? This is my fourth and last Porsche. There are too many other options out there to have to deal with this type of company.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Porsche 911 4S back in November, 2014. When it was delivered from Napleton Porsche, it was covered in scratches. The delivery man's comment was..."I told them I was not delivering this car as dirty as it was and they had a crackhead come out and dry buff it." We went through all the channels of reporting it and was told by Porsche NA that we had to give the dealer the opportunity to rectify the situation instead of sending the car back. They found and paid a local body shop to completely destroy the black paint. The swirls and lines are so bad it looks like a zebra finish. The body shop said they buffed on it for five days because the scratches were so bad. Long story short...Porsche NA said the dealership should remedy the situation however, they couldn't make them do anything. So I have had a car in my garage for 17 months that hasn't been driven and we just found out that we have to go to arbitration, at a cost of $40,000 for my attorney's retainer fee. They now say since an attorney is involved, it's between me and Napleton Porsche. That's the easy way out, Porsche. Where were you when I didn't have an attorney and was trying to get your help? This is my fourth and last Porsche. There are too many other options out there to have to deal with this type of company.
Why did you accept delivery??? :( :rolleyes:Makes no sense to me.

If CAR was/is not not right let PNA and Dealer keep it until they fix it (if they can). Otherwise get you deposit back (fine print says you can is such cases) and reorder another one - 2015.

Once you sign the papers its yours and all the headaches in this case that come with it.:wall:

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Why did you accept delivery??? :( :rolleyes:Makes no sense to me.

If CAR was/is not not right let PNA and Dealer keep it until they fix it (if they can). Otherwise get you deposit back (fine print says you can is such cases) and reorder another one - 2015.

Once you sign the papers its yours and all the headaches in this case that come with it.:wall:

:cheers:
Actually none of this makes sense to me. Unless the new car prep guy used sand paper to prep the car, the scratches would be very superficial. I'm far from a professional detailer, but give me an hour or two with my random orbital polisher, and I would be able to eliminate 99.9% of the scratches. A professional would be able to do it in half the time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I too had a very bad experience with my dealership. Will never use them again.Sort of ruined it for yourself by waiting so long though. I had 18 faults with my brand new car that they couldn't fix and eventually got them to give me a brand new one with 4 years free servicing. I kicked up a large very loud fuss in front of customers and threatened to tell all their customers coming into the place what they were doing to me. I would park my car in front of the dealership and show customers what to expect if they buy from them. May not get your money back but would get satisfaction out of stopping them making as much money. I tried the nice way to no avail under my dads advice. Blunt, brash loud mouth anger was the only thing they listened to. A lot of people won't agree with this method but it worked. Worse comes worse get it wrapped

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
As said by others, you should not have accepted delivery, it became a slippery slope from there. Speaking very first hand, that is exactly what I did. I ordered a Cayman R......in port, it had damage to the driver side fender and door. I refused to accept delivery even when Porsche tried to sweeten the deal with extended warranty to compensate. PCNA was good about it and never pressed the issue, to their credit. Difference was that I was involved with Porsche North America and not the Dealer (however, I was fortunate to have learned about it from my Dealer tracking the delivery.......I had an incredibly great SA). If, however, you decide to keep it and assuming the paint repair does not come out satisfactorily...........one option is repaint as others suggested, another is vinyl cover it (not my cup of tea but done right, pretty incredible effect).

·
Administrator
34,418 Posts
I concur. No one who could afford a purchase like this would be so obtuse.
I concur and I'm going to lock the topic until the OP contacts me with the details and verifies these statements in some way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.