Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have read a lot about the benefits of installing the sport mode feature to pdk type/sport shift caymans.

I am curious to see what benefits can be gained for doing this install (sun coast sells all the parts) to a manual stick shift 2006 Cayman S that has no SPE / PASM / Chrono etc.

All I have is PSM (standard feature).

Would like to do install but would like to understand benefit of doing this install. Is rev matching available with the sport mode install?

Thinking of installing PSE and Porsche short shifter too. Appreciate it the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
This has been discussed numerous times. Please search.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Short answer, sport mode on older cars does not offer rev matching. It hardens the red-line, offers a little faster throttle response, and allows a little more rotation before PSM intervenes. None of this is useful for street driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amdeutsch I looked for content specific to manual stick shift 06 to 08 manuals and could not find something specific. Can you please point me to it?

Thanks Bill223

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Sport mode on a gen1 six speed helps a little the PSM limits do change a some and the rev limiter sets to a hard cut off. A sprint booster also improves throttle response for less money. The short shifter and sport exhaust are nice upgrades.
I have both on my car and really like them. The sport exhaust doesn't add any power just the bypass for sound.
There are a few of the aftermarket exhausts that add dual mode sound and horsepower if that's important to you.

Cman21

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe you can also permanently enable sportmode with a Softronic ECU upgrade.
FWIW I got the Sprint Booster (which has 3 response modes) and it's great, especially for the price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will the softronic require the sport mode retrofit?

If I go with the softronic, can I do away with and not get the sport mode retrofit?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
No you don't have to retrofit with a flash from Softronic. Sport mode is turned on in the ECU permanently.

Cman21

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure this is an option with the Softronic you have to request, Sport Mode is not turned on by default with the Softronic flash but they will enable it (I believe free of charge) if you request it.

No you don't have to retrofit with a flash from Softronic. Sport mode is turned on in the ECU permanently.

Cman21

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank u for the info, this a great forum!

Next question:

I would like an all encompassing ECU tune that includes and enables all features a retrofit Porsche Cayman sport mode includes plus the added benefit of a aftermarket tune.

Which ECU tune do you all recommend? Evoms/apr/softronic etc.

Can those tunes be toggled on and off while driving?

Note: I will be taking the car to 4 to 5 track dats and 2 auto crosses this summer. I am a newbie to both. I live in Detroit so this will only be during the warmer months. I will also be doing spirited driving on the weekends and using this as second car every week as well. Also note this is for a 2006 cayman S 6 speed manual stick shift.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In addition to my question above.

Please note the carnewal exhaust mod, the numeric short shifter, the porsche oem gts brake master cylinder upgrade, the giro disc front rotor, the pfc08 brake pads are being installed in my car.

I am going all in on getting this car ready for some exhilarating fun driving.

So please consider all of this in your ECU question responses. Also pls be honest on weather an ECU upgrade is necessary as well. Not looking to spend money on no net noticeable benefit.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My car came with sport mode. I think the best part about it is that it comes with the chrono meter (not applicable to retrofits). Otherwise I haven't turned Sport-mode on for the past year. I really don't like how the throttle becomes overly sensitive, which throws off the feeling on the throttle in heel-toe and other things.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did not realize that zinger. Will need to consider ur feedback.

Curious if anyone else has any perspective. Much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts