Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have an idea about this deal but as my title's thread says, I'd like you guys' expert take on this: private party seller, 07 base cayman, 6,350 miles, one year remaining warranty, one owner, clean car fax, for 35K. My problem with that deal is that I did a NADA Used Car pricing guide assessment for a private party sale and it valued the car at only $33,300. Then I did an Edmunds True Market Value pricing for a private party sale and it only valued the car at $33,787. Additionally, Edmunds listed the car's trade in value at only $31,367. So, even though at first glance $35K sounds good for an 07 base cayman with only 6,350 miles, am I not overpaying $3,633 because the car's trade in value is only $31,367? Even if I were to use the higher Private Party NADA clean title trade-in value of $33,300, am I not overpaying by $1,700 if I were to pay the private seller's asking price of $35,000? If you guys could respond as soon as you see this I'd really appreciate it as I am set to make the purchase this Monday. As always, I appreciate anyone's/everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Are you sure you know every option that the car has? A few thousand dollars in options is completely believable, it could even be a single option in some cases.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
As ApexL8 points out, you need to be sure of how it is optioned first. Next, what is the market demand for Caymans in your area?

Finally, just because that's the sellers asking price, doesn't mean you have to offer that. If you are sure of the NADA/Edmunds prices based on the options it has, tell him that's what you will offer. The selling price is open to negotiation I presume . . .

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
...you need to be sure of how it is optioned first...
Andy Rito,
Can you get the seller to email you a picture of the build sticker inside the front trunk, frunk lid? That will get you a list of all the factory installed options, but nothing done afterwards.

(Oh just buy it, you know you want it)
Chuck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahaha that made me laugh out loud "oh just buy it you know you want it" hahaha. ok, will ask for the build sticker from the frunk. he emailed me a pic of the frunk but i saw no sticker, of course maybe that's something you take out and put away so i'll ask him. Guys, as far as I can tell this is barebones, as base as base can be. His original asking was 37,500. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
His original asking was 37,500. What do you guys think?
Like KC-CS said earlier, it really depends on your local market. That price could be realistic, or a little high. It isn't crazy high, and it might be just a price the seller is asking, and is willing to negotiate down from there.

Sometimes an enthusiast will figure he can ask a premium price because the car he is selling is super clean, pristine, never been driven in the rain, always garaged, perfect paint, which it could be if it was a second or third car. He/She figures a fellow enthusiast will appreciate the extra care the car has gotten and be willing to pay a little more.

Checking the NADA or Blue Book prices is a good practice, to get a 'ballpark figure', but they don't always reflect reality. A friend of mine was shopping for a C5 Corvette several years ago, and you simply could not get a car for what the NADA book said you should be paying.

In the end any car is worth what the market will bear, or what you are willing to pay.

Chuck

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you have the VIN# I can provide you the original MSRP and options. I think if the vehicle condition is as one would expect for only 6k miles $35k is reasonable.

I have always believed that KBB, Edmunds and NADA are simply guides; there is no guarantee that cars will be bought, sold or traded at their stated prices; especially in unique cases. If the car meets your specifications i.e. color, year, options and mileage and is in the the "ballpark" of the above sites I see no reason to hesitate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. PORSCHE HAWAII, what I would really love is what you can find out about the vehicle's history if I get the VIN number for you (e.g. accident, flood damage, body panel replacement, frame damage, engine replacement, etc). All Carfax states is "no____was reported" which, in legal terms, is not the same as saying "there is no _____". Even a pre purchase inspection is just a check of leaks, fluid levels; if an engine is rebuilt or has been replaced under warranty, the pre purchase inspection won't tell a buyer that. So, I'd appreciate whatever you can do and I can get the vin. thanks guys.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Happy to help, just PM me the info and I can let you know what comes up.

Thanks for all the responses guys. PORSCHE HAWAII, what I would really love is what you can find out about the vehicle's history if I get the VIN number for you (e.g. accident, flood damage, body panel replacement, frame damage, engine replacement, etc). All Carfax states is "no____was reported" which, in legal terms, is not the same as saying "there is no _____". Even a pre purchase inspection is just a check of leaks, fluid levels; if an engine is rebuilt or has been replaced under warranty, the pre purchase inspection won't tell a buyer that. So, I'd appreciate whatever you can do and I can get the vin. thanks guys.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If it's well optioned and been taken care of that's a good deal for one with such low mileage. Prices in the LA area are a bit higher than others and tend to have more miles on them for the same price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts