Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good idea, put lasers to work one more time, from this one test it looks like something bent, which is the sole reason why we advise you not to purchase.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Nothing wrong with speaking to the shop that did the repair, but chances are they're not going to say anything negative since it would be a bad reflection on the work they did. An independent shop will be a better voice.

If you have to travel a great distance to even see this car, I'd really think twice about it. The mkt may be bereft of cars that match your requirements, but that doesn't mean it always will. Maybe expand your search area and keep looking. autotempest.com is a great way to search for matches.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
B. I do not know if it is or is not possible to bring a damaged car back to its original glory
C. I am hoping you all can give me an idea of what something like this should be worth, so after doing my do diligence, I have an idea what to offer, if it comes to that
Sure it's possible to repair a car perfectly. The problem I have with this car is that it's very unlikely that a car that has sustained nearly $40K in damages, wouldn't sustain frame damage. I wouldn't consider buying a car that had its frame repaired, unless I were buying it for parts.
In terms of what the car is worth, I'd start by getting the VIN number. Armed with the VIN and pictures, you can access the Carmax site, and they'll make you an offer. That will establish the wholesale value for the car. You can then add 15% to that number and that should be your offer. I expect that you will be shocked by how low the Carmax offer will be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm holding off. The seller went back and forth on providing some info on the car which unnerved me. I am guessing it is a well built, well restored example, but without being able to go check it out personally due to being halfway across the country, I am going to limit my risk. If it sits for a while and the price comes down, I may revisit. Thanks for all the input, I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I'm holding off. The seller went back and forth on providing some info on the car which unnerved me. I am guessing it is a well built, well restored example, but without being able to go check it out personally due to being halfway across the country, I am going to limit my risk. If it sits for a while and the price comes down, I may revisit. Thanks for all the input, I really do appreciate it.
Good call. Always best to listen to your spider senses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not a chance in the world. Why would you purchase a trashed but repaired car for the same price or more than for a pristine car? To me, I would only purchase that car is it was $15K less and then only if I was desperate. It's not worth the risk.
MOO!

it was $15K less
Yes. It was totaled. The repaired car's value should be approximately 50%.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
So this car's color combo was so special would want to get it even with as much damage repair as it's full undamaged value ?
Stop wasting your time on this wrecked car and find one original, undamaged, cheaper that's a color you like

What is this special color combo ?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts