Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read a past post on this but I'm in a little different boat. When you read my description, please keep in mind that I will drive this car winter and summer every day in northern New York, through the mountains on my 84 mile round trip commute. While I certainly care about what my car looks like, this car will get some rash. I will set up winter wheels/tires.

2007 Cayman base with 33,400 miles. Climate control, bi-zenon, heated seats(electric with the lever at the side), 18" wheels w/ Michelin Sport Pilots(?not sure of the model), dark green with tan. I really liked it. Drove it on the highway, couple different ramps and around town. Everything felt good. Clutch felt good. Shifter felt good. Fit me great.

CarFax showed one owner lease car, 3 years and one month. Accident reported(police report) in New Haven, CT. Front bumper cover shows crazing from deflection but shape is good and doesn't look bad at all. Little black lip trim under bumper missing on one side. Rear bumperetes damaged. One actually loose. Heat shields above mufflers detached from their mounts in several places. No other visible damage to exhaust, a arms, sway bar or anything else I could see. Slight scrapes under both front and rear corners from contact with whatever but not bad at all. I crawled around on the floor and looked at every inch I could see and couldn't detect any paint work.

Is it possible this car was not repaired from the accident on the CarFax? If so, then I'm seeing the extant of the damage. How can I find out more about the accident?
VIN WP0AA29867U762144

There is a Porsche dealer fairly close that I can take it to and I'm willing to get a PPI.
$33,252 asking price. Car bought at auction.

Thanks people in advance, C.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't but what about the police report? Is that public knowledge? How about the dealer around New Haven? But, I'm thinking it may not have been fixed. If what I saw was the only damage, then the lessee may have turned it in as is. C.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Take to the Dealer that you mentioned and have them put it on the lift and due a full inspection body an engine. This will be money very well spent. If you still want the car after the inspection you will have good information that you can use to reduce the price. Based on what I have seen the asking price sounds high by 5 or 6 thousand dollars for a car in this condition. Good luck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would stay away from the car. If you can see signs that the repair did not return the car to as new then I would be very cautious.

If the original owner reported the accident to their insurance, the repair would have been done right since the insurance was footing the bill. It is my impression that whatever happened was not reported to the insurance and that is why it only shows a police report accident record on the Carfax.

Usually, if the car is taken apart to fix such areas as you mentioned there will be fault codes that need to be reset by the dealer so there should be some service records to that extent.

If its means anything the car has no records of any warranty work ever being preformed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If the car passes a dealer pre-purchase inspection, if it has a clean non-salvage title, if you can get sufficient info about its maintenance & repair history, if you can get the price down somewhere below $30K, and if you really like this car, then consider buying it as you're planning to use it year-round in NYS anyway. It might be a good opportunity for you, but do your homework, remain objective, keep your eyes & ears open, and if you still want it then bargain hard - most people don't want to buy damaged Porsches, and sellers know this. HTH. Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually, after re-reading your description, I think I'd walk away from this car unless you get a really spectacular price on it - it's a lease so probably uncared for, presumably owned in New England (rust belt), driven hard as evidenced by damage front rear & underneath, not properly repaired, and bought at auction. That car deserved a better first owner. No telling what kind of use or abuse it has taken. Since it's not a dealer sale, there's no CPO warranty. Don't think I'd want to be the second owner, I'm thinking run away. Sorry. Dave

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm going to play this out further. I'll get the ppi and go from there. Could be a way for me to get into a really fun commuter and more importantly, into a Porsche that I will really drive a lot. I think my hope is that this car was never fixed and what we see is what we get. Oh, and to add insult to injury, I think it was a "smoker car". Lighter and ash tray have seen some action. Thanks all. I'll report back.... C.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to keep looking...

I'm going to keep looking. The PPI was not too bad but did show that there was a repaint to the front bumper cover not to "my" dealers quality and not done by the home dealer as I talked with them. I questioned how the front could be crazed if it had been repainted... Answer; it was hit again after the first repaint. Rev history was not too bad. Brakes were abnormally thin for the miles. On a stick shift car, this seems odd to me. Rear bumperettes would require removal of rear cover to fix. PPI felt no major other structural components were replaced. Interior a little ratty.
My thoughts had been that if I could get it for $27k, I might go for it. I still might low ball them. The last straw was the interior color. I really don't like the sand beige even though it looks good with the dark green. I don't think I would be good to a light interior... Done. Move on. Thanks all for the help. I'm still looking and determined to have a Cayman, that part has not changed. And, I finally got to drive a Cayman, the best part of the experience so far!
Thanks again, C.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would not buy that car the price is just wrong.

If you want I will sell you my Base triple black 2007 cayman with 15K miles for 31K. I will personally drive it to norther NY for the sale. Just sayin.

SSMV650.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
I would not buy that car the price is just wrong.

If you want I will sell you my Base triple black 2007 cayman with 15K miles for 31K. I will personally drive it to norther NY for the sale. Just sayin.

SSMV650.
Smoking deal. That is a very friendly gesture.

I got my 2006 Cayman S 30,470 miles in rare Seal Grey with SC and a few mods for $30.5K including car cover. Then I had to pay lousy WA use tax of $2440.

Car was very well cared for by PCA Doctor with all the papers (even the mods receipts). Most of my neighbors and friends assumed it was new until I mentioned the year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.