Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
So he can buy the GT3, lock it away, and sell it as some historic Metzger powered car when he dies and his children are clearing out his estate OR he can take delivery of a GT4 that he spec'd to his personal tastes and drive the snot out it and enjoy life before he dies. OK got it!
Exactly. One will appreciate in price and be sold one day at BJ or elsewhere, the other you drive and turn over

You got it :)

It would be relevant if the OP says what he plans to do with the car. Is it a collectable, a daily driver, or a track toy?

Discussion starter · #25 ·
2010, 997.2 comes in manual only so it's a manual. This is a tough choice, a low mileage 997.2 GT3 still demands a higher price than a brand new or used GT4, at least here in the states. There is a big difference in feel from a rear engine to a mid engine car. The GT3 is harder to drive fast but more rewarding once you master it. I could only assume that the price of the 997.2 GT3 will drop as soon as the new 991.2 GT3 comes in manual transmission. Personally, I think the GT3 looks better but can't argue with the speed and the looks of the GT4 either. I would get a DME to see how the GT3 is driven. GT4 is the Porsche to buy right now so that is probably my vote, although I'll be happy with either.
Firstly I'd like to thank you for all of your input so far. It makes for intriguing reading. 'Ynot' I tend to agree with all of your comments. Great summary thank you.

To add some more info to the equation...

I'm dong this with my father. His pride and joy is a 993 C2. Mine is a 458 Speciale.

We're after a car to add to the mix to lessen the yearly mileage across all three. Likely do about 3 track days a year. We like the bullet proof nature of the GT3 (says the Ferrari owner). A sense of occasion every drive is what we're after. Walking to the garage opening the door and getting that feeling, I'm doing what I've dreamt about is more important to us than shaving half a second off a lap time. Collectability is a factor but we also have two cars already ticking that box. The other consideration is the gen II 991 GT3 with manual transmission due out next year. Likely to be another $70k NZD than the 997 but with a clean slate in terms of history. I guess 'how important is that Mezger engine?' Note: the 997 has a clean bill of health in terms of over rev etc.

It probably says it all when I find myself reading these points of view and hoping the next one I read will conclude the 997 is the car to get. Make the swap in other words. My practical hat keeps me coming back to the GT4. The definition of first world problem.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts thus far! [emoji1303]

Someday, when the GT3 is outlawed for not being able to be converted to all electric you'll pine for that GT4 you passed up since those can fit all of the all-electric conversion items needed to keep the car on the road. Of course you won't have this problem for a few years, but sooner or later it happens... :)

Which, if any, of the three cars do you, or would you, use as a chick magnet? The 458 probably stacks up pretty well there, but the GT4 wing adds that mystery factor! This answer should be the ultimate litmus test! :)

Which, if any, of the three cars do you, or would you, use as a chick magnet? The 458 probably stacks up pretty well there, but the GT4 wing adds that mystery factor! This answer be the ultimate litmus test! :)
The size of the wing indicates the size of..... fill in blank here ......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Which, if any, of the three cars do you, or would you, use as a chick magnet? The 458 probably stacks up pretty well there, but the GT4 wing adds that mystery factor! This answer should be the ultimate litmus test! :)
Most girls don't have a clue what a GT4 is, my 997 has a huge wing and it attracts men, lots of men. If you are into that type of thing, I'm not going to judge. :) On the other hand, I've owned my SLK for nearly eight years and got hit on by women and even gay men a lot more than I ever did with my 997. My previous SLK was truly a chick magnet.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
This thread is taking on a life of its own! Love it [emoji1303]
Speciale only gets out very early in the mornings for mountain road sessions, the ladies never know about it and that's the way I like it. It's my guilty pleasure! A friend has a new Bentley and reckons they're all over him in that. I think they might prefer luxury interior over my steel floors, no glove box and cf doors!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.