Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Would you exchange your used 987 for a new GT-R at no extra cost?

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
1) A small, mid-engine, sports car is more fun to drive for the 95% of the time most of us aren't at the track.

2) Cayman is a breath of fresh air on the road, where the competition all have the same square box shape, with a big tall SUV front end :(

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I don't care for the looks of the GT-R. And I don't need high HP to enjoy a car.
I might buy a Gen II 2.9 in the future, but I'm happy for now with my 2.7.
" It is much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." On the street, super fast cars will just get you in trouble faster....

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
1) A small, mid-engine, sports car is more fun to drive for the 95% of the time most of us aren't at the track.

2) Cayman is a breath of fresh air on the road, where the competition all have the same square box shape, with a big tall SUV front end :(
FWIW: The reasons why I drive my GT-R on the street are exactly the opposite of yours.

1) Love NA MR cars at the track thus why I track a modified Cayman R, would not even think about tracking a heavy AWD FI vehicle (GT-R) at the track, way too expensive to run.

2) With all the clueless drivers on their cell phones with big gigantic SUV's and pickup trucks on the streets I feel a lot safer on my GT-R because they actually see the car, another bonus is that they don't try to do idiotic things like tailgate me or try to cut me off. Something to be said about the GT-R's size and reputation.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
FWIW: The reasons why I drive my GT-R on the street are exactly the opposite of yours.

1) Love NA MR cars at the track thus why I track a modified Cayman R, would not even think about tracking a heavy AWD FI vehicle (GT-R) at the track, way too expensive to run.

2) With all the clueless drivers on their cell phones with big gigantic SUV's and pickup trucks on the streets I feel a lot safer on my GT-R because they actually see the car, another bonus is that they don't try to do idiotic things like tailgate me or try to cut me off. Something to be said about the GT-R's size and reputation.
Wow, thanks... I learn something new everyday.:) If the GT-R is expensive to run as a track car, and too fast for the street. Where do you get to use all that top-end speed and HP?

As for your second point... I don't drive at rush hour. But you make a great point. It'd be nice to drive a big tank... with all the cell phones, and SUV traffic on the roads.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Wow, thanks... I learn something new everyday.:) If the GT-R is expensive to run as a track car, and too fast for the street. Where do you get to use all that top-end speed and HP?

As for your second point... I don't drive at rush hour. But you make a great point. It'd be nice to drive a big tank... with all the cell phones, and SUV traffic on the roads.
LOL,

If you only drive in a state like FL that is flat, has very limited amount of elevation changes and only Hurricane season to deal with, cars like the STI, GT-R, S4, or for that matter a 911 Turbo probably make very little sense to you.

In states/regions that have real elevation as well as the possibility of inclement weather (sometimes in the blink of an eye) the method to the madness behind AWD and Forced Induction would start to make a little bit of sense.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
LOL,
In states/regions that have real elevation as well as the possibility of inclement weather (sometimes in the blink of an eye) the method to the madness behind AWD and Forced Induction would start to make a little bit of sense.
Thanks. Interesting observations. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Wow, thanks... I learn something new everyday.:) If the GT-R is expensive to run as a track car, and too fast for the street. Where do you get to use all that top-end speed and HP? As roads.

Well exactly.

Spending your own money on a DD is a very different proposition than "what do you fancy blasting round a track this weekend".

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree, there aren't many cars I would choose over my Spyder. The GT3 RS 4.0 is definitely one of them and I might even be pursuaded to consider a GT3 if I could get it with a wing delete. Other than that the only other cars that attract me are the Murcielago, 458 Italia and the Aston Martin DB9. Still each of these choices has a drawback and the only drawback I see with the Spyder is that it could use another 100 Hp to take full advantage of the platform.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think I voted 'maybe' when this was first posted.
I'll switch it to 'yes' now with the new 2012 GTR :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
For a daily driver I can't imagine anything more fun than my Cayman, then again I don't track cars :burnout:

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
Watch Out, Nordschleife: Nissan Launches 2012 GT-R

"We have a car that has the potential to go from 0-100 km/h (0-62mph) in under 3 seconds, lap the Nurburgring in less than 7 minutes 20 seconds, and cruise at speeds of 300 kilometers per hour," said Chief Vehicle Engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno.

Watch Out, Nordschleife: Nissan Launches 2012 GT-R | The Truth About Cars

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmmmmm........
Decisions, both great cars for different reasons, for my 2 cents worth. The CS is a scalpel compared to a chainsaw, they both get the job done in different ways. Unfortunately, us mere mortals can't afford a golf bag of motors to choose from so I'll be keeping my CS.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My answer is a bit biased given that I currently own a 2008 Cayman S and a 2010 GT-R.
Hypothetically, if you keep only one car between the two, which one would you keep?

It is difficult to have a balanced opinion on this poll as I have never driven a GT-R. My opinion of the GT-R is only based on what I've read. There is a big divide between reading articles and actually driving a vehicle. Given what I know, I would probably stay with the Cayman.

On the other hand, having both would seem to be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No, in the end it comes down to the gtr being a Japanese Nissan, it will never have the same feeling of quality and passion that every porsche has. Think about the car 10 years from now it will just be just like every other 10 year old nissan in terms of interior condition. Don't do it I've owned Porsches's since 1999 and am never switching back.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Let's put brand names aside and focus on the cars capabilities.

There is no doubt a GTR offers Super Car Performance which rivals anything from the Italians and Germans. The GTR is in incredible bargain if you're after pure performance numbers, the only thing comparable in this price range is the Z06 but even that isn't quite there.

So why is it that people still buy Italian, German or US performance cars if the GTR offers such an attractive package? I genuinely believe it's all about emotions and the experience. Porsche's, especially 987's have a way of communicating to the driver that I've never experienced. They definitely aren't as capable as the GTR but then again how many of us live on or near a track and can really take advantage of that kind of performance on a regular basis? I think the GTR offers some serious bragging rights and you could beat everything on the street if that's what you're after. If you want to have some fun and feel like you're one with the car I think the 987 is the better choice. My opinion of course.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Hypothetically, if you keep only one car between the two, which one would you keep?

It is difficult to have a balanced opinion on this poll as I have never driven a GT-R. My opinion of the GT-R is only based on what I've read. There is a big divide between reading articles and actually driving a vehicle. Given what I know, I would probably stay with the Cayman.

On the other hand, having both would seem to be the best of both worlds.
Between my 2012 Cayman R and my 2010 GT-R, the GT-R would still be the car to keep between the two if I had to choose only one car. The GT-R can do everything that the Cayman does but goes about it in a different way, the same can't be the said in regards to the Cayman relative to the GT-R.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Between my 2012 Cayman R and my 2010 GT-R, the GT-R would still be the car to keep between the two if I had to choose only one car. The GT-R can do everything that the Cayman does but goes about it in a different way, the same can't be the said in regards to the Cayman relative to the GT-R.
My friend, did you read my last two posts above? Man, I'm sold 100%... I just need to come up with the money :(

Did you watch this video too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
I drove an 09 GTR for a few days. The car felt faster than any car I've ever driven, and I've driven a Ford GT, F430, etc.

I never thought I'd say this, but its too fast for the street. I can only imagine how much faster the 2012 model is. My heart was pounding the whole time i drove it.

One word sums up the speed of the car "ridiculous"

But......I agreee with the reviews, its not a very involving car, no steering feel, very little feedback, just speed, its like your playing a video game. I might like it more if it came with a manual transmission.

If i had to pick the top 10 cars dream cars that i would like to own, i dont think it make the list

Reactions: RogerM
121 - 140 of 172 Posts