Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys;

I am looking at a set of Replicas for my Cayman S.

Any thoughts on replicas?

Thanks

Brett

·
Registered
368 Posts
As long as they weigh about the same as OEM wheels and are of good quality then why not and if you can use Porsche crest centre peices then even better.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Ditto on what craig said. Porsche does not manufacture wheels, they buy them (to their price/performance spec)from the likes of Ronal, BBs and others

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I have look-a-likes as my winter wheels.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I have look-a-likes as my winter wheels.
Maybe this should go in a new thread, but since we're talking about replicas......

I ordered the replica versions of Cayman S (06-08) wheels (significant cost savings) from Wheel Dynamics. I had them refinished with black painted inner spokes and rim (inspired by the orange Boxster Limited Edition from a couple years ago which I liked a lot, and I think K-Man S ordered the same wheels way back when). The finishing was done by their affiliate Fast Forward, and included black hubs with the colored crest.

When I received the wheels last week, they looked beautiful. And actually they seemed quite light, often an issue with the replicas as they tend to be heavier than the original wheels. Hmmm. I opened the packages up and did my inspections. You can usually tell from the back if it is a replica, because often it actually says "Replica". These did not. Instead, I noticed the wheels had the Ronal logo and "Made in Germany" stamped on the back, and the Ronal hologram along the outer rim. Sure enough, the WD guy (Eli) advised me they were the "genuine articles", because they had run out of the replica stock. :dance:

I'll be putting them on early next week, as the new tires from Tire Rack have just arrived at the installer. I'm hoping the luck holds up, because considering what the dealer/Porsche charges for OEM wheels (never mind the custom finish), I basically got them for 1/2 price. I don't know if anyone else will be as lucky as I was, but obviously right now I'm very pleased with Wheel Dynamics / Fast Forward. Tire Rack ain't too bad either, given my new tires (Hankook V12's) arrived within 48 hours of ordering. I'll get some pix up of my car's new look and a tire/wheel evaluation in writing next week - can hardly wait! :banana:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
As long as they weigh about the same as OEM wheels and are of good quality then why not and if you can use Porsche crest centre peices then even better.
For replacement wheels the saying is "you can have strength, light weight, or low cost-- pick only two."
I bought some replicas for my winter tires. They are more heavy than OEM by several pounds, but OK for winter. No problems so far, and they look just like OEM. Don't forget you'll need pressure transmitters.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Personally, I would not install replicas. Partially because it cheapens and risks the car (IMO) and second because the production of replica (knock off) anything is theft of intellectual property. The manufacturers have stolen the design (and engineering?) of others. Period. If you purchase replicas (that were produced without license) you are perpetuating that theft.

My opinion, and generally the opinion of the courts. Flame away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts