Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Porsche Cayman GTS, $77,900 - Cars.com

I have no affiliation with the above car. I was just cruising cars.com and was shocked to see it listed. This is an unbeatable deal for someone... Is this truly the market value for this car? Makes me a bit sad to see this car listed not even out of break in yet...

I plan on keeping my new GTS for at least 4 years, but the car above has already lost roughly 15K? The previous owner had to take a serious beating... Just wow...

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I think that is Inhouk's car. He took it to the track once and decided he wanted a more more track focused car.
Should be a great car

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yea seems these cars drop 20k+ first year.

Seems after 1 year and decent number of options (normal for cars on lots and made to orde), a base is 50-55k, s is 55-65k, and gts ism65-75k.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Saw that car too, I am not surprised, options are worth nothing in the used market. It went back to it's MSRP w/o options. Looks like they will be in the 60's this time next year. Just for reference, I got my 2013 Boxster S with a MSRP of $97,230 for $65K OTD, that is $32,230 in exactly two years time, only had 7,000 miles. Smells and looks new, everyone I know thought I brought a new car. This is the reason I never buy new anymore. I ended up keeping cars a lot longer than I wanted b/c I don't want to lose all that money. I brought my 997 used during the recession. MSRP of $108K, with over $30K of modifications. I spend another $10K in mods, easy to do, when each CF part cost $500. Not counting my mods, if I sold it today, I would lose only $5K. That is $1,250/year. You couldn't rent a car for that cheap. For the last decade. I used to laugh at people who buy used cars b/c they can't afford a new one. Guess they have the last laugh.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The case for buying used gained strength in the last 15 years as cars became more reliable and longer-lived. With reasonable care and maintenance a vehicle can have a 10+ year lifespan as a daily driver. It used to be that cars literally started falling apart once the warranty expired, and buying new every three or four years was to only way to avoid finding yourself in a POS. I bought my 2-year-old GTS for $50,000 less than what it sold for new, and 18 months later it still runs as well as the day it was built. If I sold it today I expect I could get pretty much what I paid for it.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
The case for buying used gained strength in the last 15 years as cars became more reliable and longer-lived. With reasonable care and maintenance a vehicle can have a 10+ year lifespan as a daily driver. It used to be that cars literally started falling apart once the warranty expired, and buying new every three or four years was to only way to avoid finding yourself in a POS. I bought my 2-year-old GTS for $50,000 less than what it sold for new, and 18 months later it still runs as well as the day it was built. If I sold it today I expect I could get pretty much what I paid for it.
Exactly. I've gone through this same analysis with my Daily Driver but I bought it new and planned to keep it a long time when I bought it. It's now a 7 year old Lexus with 132k miles. It looks new (aside from chips on the front and wrinkled leather) and drives like it did the day I bought it. It's great. I plan on keeping it until over 200k miles easy and my 2014 981 for the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IMO, this car at this price does not represent an "unbeatable deal". Although I have not tried to purchase a GTS, it is my understanding (based on other posts) that they can be ordered at 5% off. That means this car can, very likely, be purchased new for just under $80k. So, even if this is exactly the car you want (white, PVT, PDK, painted wheels, white instrument dials, SS rather than PASM...), you are only talking about a $2K discount from a new custom order. If you delete a very few things from this car, it can be purchased new for less than this "used" asking price.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
^^^^^ So true. If you can do without PDK, NAV, 24-way power seats (I exaggerate), apply discount, add a few goodies you really want, GTS brand new under 80K. Worked for me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes, it was Inhock's car. They sold the car in just a couple of days. Chariots of Palm Beach is both a wholesaler and retailer. They tend to get better product and sell at below retail price. I visited their facility and have some wonderful cars - most priced below a franchise dealer's price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I talked with Inhock about this car when he had it listed here and on autotrader about 6 weeks ago. He was offering an ok price for a private party sale in October and his low end price was competitive. Two weeks later, I did offer his low end price and he told me it was already sold...

However, as others mentioned, with a bit of luck and haggling you can get 5-6% off MSRP for a CGTS. Which makes this offering (at $77,900) for a used CGTS a bad deal. I am paying less than this price for a similarly equipped new CGTS (biggest difference is the PTV).

Matt, did Chariots of Palm Beach already sell this car?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Flipping through WSJ yesterday, Isringhausen (sp?) was showing a 7k mile 2014 CS for $65K which I thought was pretty low. Don't know the option package however......

·
Registered
747 Posts
Got 60k for my 4000 mile 14 CS on a trade it was 75 new paid 68. They CPOed it and now are asking 69 my gut is it will change hands at 64-65...My 15 CS was 74 paid 67. So the deal was 7k and my car.The catch is in California they don't give you credit for your trade so you pay tax on the gross transaction not the net. I had to pay $7000 in tax and license on a $7000 transaction. I guess you pay for the weather. Carl

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I used to think something must be wrong with a car if someone drives it for 4,000 miles and quickly get rid of it later two years later. It's the certified pre-owned program that got me into used cars. Longer warranty and don't have to worry about any surprises that pops up. I was convinced when my brother went in Acura to buy a brand new MDX and left with a CPO'ed MDX with less then 5,000 miles, less than a year old, with 6 yrs/100K mile warranty for over 10K off MSRP.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Saw that car too, I am not surprised, options are worth nothing in the used market. It went back to it's MSRP w/o options. Looks like they will be in the 60's this time next year. Just for reference, I got my 2013 Boxster S with a MSRP of $97,230 for $65K OTD, that is $32,230 in exactly two years time, only had 7,000 miles. Smells and looks new, everyone I know thought I brought a new car. This is the reason I never buy new anymore. I ended up keeping cars a lot longer than I wanted b/c I don't want to lose all that money. I brought my 997 used during the recession. MSRP of $108K, with over $30K of modifications. I spend another $10K in mods, easy to do, when each CF part cost $500. Not counting my mods, if I sold it today, I would lose only $5K. That is $1,250/year. You couldn't rent a car for that cheap. For the last decade. I used to laugh at people who buy used cars b/c they can't afford a new one. Guess they have the last laugh.
Ditto --- 2013 981S $84 list with 4000 miles (you could not tell it was not new) for $72K including a much longer warranty than new (because of the CPO)

Ynot -- $97K ?!?! Wow, what did they NOT put on yours? LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After starting this thread and reading the responses, it has become a real eye opener for me... Now that I have gotten the "build my own car" thing out of my system, I am going to go CPO for future purchases. My car retailed for 92K and I was only offered a 1K "loyalty" discount due to previous purchases with my dealership. It's now apparently worth about 75K at two weeks old. Thoughts like this ran through my head prior to ordering my car, but it didn't really sink in until this thread. I will continue to enjoy my car for the next 3-4 years as I am absolutely in love with it, but I will be smarter with my next purchase... Thanks to all for the reality check...

Reactions: wisedog

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ditto --- 2013 981S $84 list with 4000 miles (you could not tell it was not new) for $72K including a much longer warranty than new (because of the CPO)

Ynot -- $97K ?!?! Wow, what did they NOT put on yours? LOL
At over $97K, you would think, I got everything but it's missing PSE and ventilated seats, oh well, can't have everything.

After starting this thread and reading the responses, it has become a real eye opener for me... Now that I have gotten the "build my own car" thing out of my system, I am going to go CPO for future purchases. My car retailed for 92K and I was only offered a 1K "loyalty" discount due to previous purchases with my dealership. It's now apparently worth about 75K at two weeks old. Thoughts like this ran through my head prior to ordering my car, but it didn't really sink in until this thread. I will continue to enjoy my car for the next 3-4 years as I am absolutely in love with it, but I will be smarter with my next purchase... Thanks to all for the reality check...
At least you are not in bidding war, I've seen it for the first time when I went in a Mercedes dealership to order my r171 SLK back in 2005. They had one and two older gentlemen were bidding on it, it was kinda crazy. I had to order b/c MB dealers don't order cars with manual transmission. Although the SLK came stand with manuals, 100% of dealer ordered cars were automatics. I got $500 off. I brought a couple of new cars after that, then it was all CPO cars afterwards.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
My ACC came at a high price. Guess I'll enjoy having it my way--this is the only new car I'll ever own. And I didn't even get leather vent slats.

·
Registered
738 Posts
At over $97K, you would think, I got everything but it's missing PSE and ventilated seats, oh well, can't have everything.
NO, NO say it isn't so!!!!!! No PSE on 100 grand car?

PSE basically sold me on my car. I was ready to order a $70 grand self-config but he wanted me to look at the more loaded CPO -- For the test drive The sales guy looked down at the switch and said "Oh goody! It's got the cool noisemaker!" That pretty much did it for me.

The guy who configured it did a (pretty) great job for me (I call him "Sid from AC" I have this story made up that he lost the car at the blackjack table -- the CARFAX shows it was turned in to the Atlantic City dealership before being sold to Nashua Porsche).

PSE, 19" wheels (sorry, I think 20's are a waste of cash - they look great on your car, but we have potholes with occasional road surface here in Boston), full leather, BOSE, surround, GPS, he replaced the metal trim with brushed alu, It would be nice to have sports plus, but like you said, can't have everything. He got the heated steering wheel (which is GREAT!) and the vented seats (which are, quite frankly, just "OK" - they don't cool as well as the heated seats warm, but they are actually pretty good in combo to keep you from sweating), 14-ways, full leather cockpit, retractable mirrors (cool!) PDLS (But, WHY Sid, Why, did you not blow the extra $130 bucks for the upgraded interior lighting package so I could have puddle lights?), PDK. Overall a nice bit of kit. I would have preferred pure black or agate, but my wife tells me the slight sparkle of Basalt Black matches my (essentially) "jersey roots". Frankly I don't know what to make of that comment :~O

Sid and Krystal at the Trump Plaza:

"Sid...Sid! How are we gonna get back to Philly without the Porsch?"

"Krystal....for the last time... it's a POOR SHA! POOR SHA! Ya sound ignorant when you say it that way...."

"Sorry Sid..."

"Hey kid", says Sid to the blackjack dealer, "You guys are gonna comp my room, right? I just lost an 80 grand Porsch here...."

"POOOOR SHA! Sid! POOR SHA!"

"Shut up Krystal..."

Reactions: Ynot

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
My ACC came at a high price. Guess I'll enjoy having it my way--this is the only new car I'll ever own. And I didn't even get leather vent slats.
The ACC option interests me too and I find the option to be rare for both dealer-ordered cars on lots and used 981s.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts