Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night my wife and I had to travel to an event in the early evening involving side streets, freeways, on and off-ramps....all of the above. Both coming and going we had a couple opportunities to see what the car could do. I should note that my wife is a terrible influence in that she is a constant cheerleader to "Go Faster".

Wow. W.O.W. Wait....did I say 'Wow'?

Nothing I have owned....multiple 330's, 335i, Z4MC, 986, 987 compares. Stunning performance in the BASE model 981 C. HP is nice...plenty for street driving...but it was the utter rock-solid stability that blew me away. Also hate to say it out loud....but the PDK was just a mind-reading-champ.

987 is still best for the purest....but Dear God....the 981 was amazing. Stunning. I've been blessed to drive a lot of different makes at speed....but wow...wow wow wow....this little 981 may be the best thing I've tossed into a corner.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just did the Porsche roadshow at thunder hill and was a blast! I drive my Cayman GTS up there, it's still going through break in so I'm taking it easy. The instructors really like Cayman GTS. We drove the Panny GTS and Macan Turbo auto-cross. Then a 911 targa 4s, boxster GTS then finally a Cayman GTS. Then Cayman GTS was by far the best of the bunch. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Drove the best model on Porsche's dime, then mine home!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
'the utter rock-solid stability that blew me away. Also hate to say it out loud....but the PDK was just a mind-reading-champ'....that is one of the better descriptions for how I feel when I drive my 981 C. It is the most integrated feel I have experienced in driving a car. I have had the Audi B5 S4, C5 Corvette, E46 M3, Mini Cooper S to name a few against which I compare.........also had an 08CS and an R. Key point is, as I have said in other threads, I use all these as DD and it is within that set of parameters that I judge how the car fits.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The 981 design has no weak points. Granted, that's only my opinion but, after one and a half years of ownership, I have yet to find one thing about this car that I would call a design oversight or functional shortcoming. Yes, there are nits to pick, but everything from the styling to the interior, from transmissions to engines, from suspensions to lights, is just done so well that one really has to dig deep to find something to complain about.

The 981 .. in Boxster or Cayman form factor ... in base, S, or GTS trim level, is as close to the perfect sports car as I've personally ever owned or driven. That's really quite an achievement.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
So last night my wife and I had to travel to an event in the early evening involving side streets, freeways, on and off-ramps....all of the above. Both coming and going we had a couple opportunities to see what the car could do. I should note that my wife is a terrible influence in that she is a constant cheerleader to "Go Faster".

Nothing I have owned....multiple 330's, 335i, Z4MC, 986, 987 compares. Stunning performance in the BASE model 981 C. HP is nice...plenty for street driving...but it was the utter rock-solid stability that blew me away. Also hate to say it out loud....but the PDK was just a mind-reading-champ.

987 is still best for the purest....but Dear God....the 981 was amazing. Stunning. I've been blessed to drive a lot of different makes at speed....but wow...wow wow wow....this little 981 may be the best thing I've tossed into a corner.
Except for my Mrs never saying "Go Faster" :(, I agree with you (and Stan). I am so glad I waited (30 years) for the 981 series to arrive.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
HAHA! My wife is constantly saying the same thing, "Go faster!".

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

I agree, those who own a 987 and say the 981 is too refine, not raw enough, either haven't driven a 981 long enough or haven't driven one at all. The stiffer chassis, handling, and steering is so much more direct than the previous model. The 987 almost feels loose, when you get out of a 981 and into a 987, the 987 almost feels like a sports sedan.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, those who own a 987 and say the 981 is too refine, not raw enough, either haven't driven a 981 long enough or haven't driven one at all. The stiffer chassis, handling, and steering is so much more direct than the previous model. The 987 almost feels loose, when you get out of a 981 and into a 987, the 987 almost feels like a sports sedan.
Second attempt at posting this....hopefully I am not double posting some place....weird error.

Anyway....I will play devil's advocate and say that I do miss the 987 steering feel. The wheel danced in a way that I felt like my fingertips were on the road surface. Does it keep you from piloting the car well......no...not at all. Just a sensation that I miss in the 981.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The stiffer chassis, handling, and steering is so much more direct than the previous model. The 987 almost feels loose, when you get out of a 981 and into a 987, the 987 almost feels like a sports sedan.
What a BS. "so much more direct", "feels like a sports sedan"

FYI I drove the 981 extensive, I do have a 987 with 12K on the ODO.
On a scale of all roadsters made, they are both in the top and neither is better than the other...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hmmm. The 981 does have a more rigid chassis, but I would hardly call 987 to have a loose chassis.

Anyway, the 987 feels more aged and raw, while the 981 is more refined. Both are great cars in their era. The sport sedan comment ... mmmm ... that I have to disagree. But oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I would say or remind that we are all expressing our opinions and because of that it is based on whatever is important to or for our respective criteria. We all have a bias. So, for some based on what they are looking for, one or the other just may be better. For me, the 981 Cayman is an evolution that I favor. I say that against the both the 08 Cayman S and Cayman R that I owned. Interestingly, at least for me, I actually found that after driving many miles in the same conditions, I preferred my 08 Cayman S over the Cayman R as a DD. If I were to track, I have no doubt the R would prevail including, probably the 981.

On a scale of all roadsters made, they are both in the top and neither is better than the other...

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

It's just my opinion but to me it's more direct then the previous, the steering is heavier, the chassis is stiffer. The 987 has a looser steering feel compared to it. The feeling on the 987, with the vibration, road noise, feeling of every rock and pebbles through the steering wheel, isn't something I care for on a road car. The 987, especially the R is the best handling sports car I've driven until the 981. You have to drive them back to back on the same road to noticed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Love to hear stories about the base car. While not the fastest kid on the block, the enjoyment over $ spent factor of this lightweight, high revving animal is amazing. Throw in my minimalist driver spec touch points (sport seats plus, X73 suspension, 20" Carerra S, and Alantera wheel) and I'm in love everytime I get behind the wheel :)

Also taking this opportunity to photo-wh*re it out :banana:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Nice. Is that base white or the Carrera White Metallic? It's beautiful.

That's the thing about seeing all these photos of 981s posted here on Planet-9. Just when I think I know which color I really like, and even after seeing them in person, I keep changing my mind.

I love hearing reports about the base model too. My previous Porsches were all less horsepower than even the base Boxster, even my old 911. It's too easy to get caught up in the horsepower attraction. How do you feel about the halogen lights on the base models? I keep worrying that the only lights I'll like are the Xenon PDLS.

I keep making edits to this post. Just realized how self conflicted I must sound. On the one hand I say the base has enough horsepower for me because it is more than any Porsche I've owned in the past; on the other hand I worry that the halogens are not good enough yet I'm fairly certain there were never halogens on any of my previous Porsche's either.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Hmmm. The 981 does have a more rigid chassis, but I would hardly call 987 to have a loose chassis.

Anyway, the 987 feels more aged and raw, while the 981 is more refined. Both are great cars in their era. The sport sedan comment ... mmmm ... that I have to disagree. But oh well.
If you want aged and raw, try a 914! No shortage of steering feel or mechanical noises. Manual steering brakes transmission. And without any seat padding left, mine is especially raw. It's enjoyable, but not for any length of time. Well worth having the experience if you have a chance.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
If you want aged and raw, try a 914! No shortage of steering feel or mechanical noises. Manual steering brakes transmission. And without any seat padding left, mine is especially raw. It's enjoyable, but not for any length of time. Well worth having the experience if you have a chance.
I owned two 914s once, at the same time. I started out with a '73 2.0L with appearance package and performance package in 1975. Then I couldn't get it back from my wife (first marriage), so we ended up buying a '74 2.0L with the same options just different colors about a year later. Loved those cars. I actually used to really like those fixed aspect seats. I thought the car was a joy to drive.

Nowadays I'm thinking of getting back into a Porsche again and the 981 series really has my interest. Now that I'm older, by almost 40 years, my interests in air conditioning and adjustable seats are different.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I owned two 914s once, at the same time. I started out with a '73 2.0L with appearance package and performance package in 1975. Then I couldn't get it back from my wife (first marriage), so we ended up buying a '74 2.0L with the same options just different colors about a year later. Loved those cars. I actually used to really like those fixed aspect seats. I thought the car was a joy to drive.

Nowadays I'm thinking of getting back into a Porsche again and the 981 series really has my interest. Now that I'm older, by almost 40 years, my interests in air conditioning and adjustable seats are different.
My experience may interest you: I went from a 914 (still have it) to an SLK (totaled after it spun out from an emergency lane change) to a 986BS (not quite enough leg room, leaked oil into coolant), to a 981BS. The 981 is a dream. Luxe when I want luxe, sport when I want sport. Fantastic in every way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice. Is that base white or the Carrera White Metallic? It's beautiful.

That's the thing about seeing all these photos of 981s posted here on Planet-9. Just when I think I know which color I really like, and even after seeing them in person, I keep changing my mind.

I love hearing reports about the base model too. My previous Porsches were all less horsepower than even the base Boxster, even my old 911. It's too easy to get caught up in the horsepower attraction. How do you feel about the halogen lights on the base models? I keep worrying that the only lights I'll like are the Xenon PDLS.

I keep making edits to this post. Just realized how self conflicted I must sound. On the one hand I say the base has enough horsepower for me because it is more than any Porsche I've owned in the past; on the other hand I worry that the halogens are not good enough yet I'm fairly certain there were never halogens on any of my previous Porsche's either.
I have the Base Cayman with Halogens. They work fine for most applications. If you do a lot of driving on very dark twisting roads, you might want Xenons. I chose the Cayman for the handling which is Amazing. I believe the Base has plenty of HP for most activities, though if you track the car you probably want the S or GT

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's non metallic white, halogens... I had Xenons in my former Golf R and I thought they sucked. A sharp hard line at the top of the field, and the depth was weak. Mind you I have never experienced 981 Xenons, but the halogens are excellent, bright and deep. I'm not missing anything.

Again in my car is all about what you need, and not what you don't... :)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Speaking more on the comments on the Base....I believe the PDK utterly flatters it. (As the PDK would flatter any other model....). But my point is within a 1/2 second of stepping on it, the car/PDK knows what you're up to and puts you in a gear/RPM combo perfect to maximize the Torque out of the thing. Far far far faster than I could ever manage to manually shift any car. I've spent over half my driving life in manuals....and I can't even come close.....not in the same universe...to the PDK. So the PDK does a fantastic job of maximizing the HP the 'lowly' base has....which for real-world driving is more than enough. Not making excuses....if I could get a GTS for the same $$$$ as my Base....obviously going with a GTS. But I'm about 8.5-9/10th's there for 40% (used car) savings. I'm good with that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts