Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OE 18's with OE rubber for the street.

Recently got a set of track wheels - 18 x 9.5 49 with NT01 275/40.

Net difference is 11mm closer to the suspension - seemed like a reasonable amount of room.

Started to swap wheels and pads for tomorrow's track day and noticed that both rears have a deep grove on the inside about halfway through the sidewall (about 3mm deep) from rubbing on my JIC coilover adjustment rings.

Not sure if the JIC's take more or less room than stock.

Bad news is that I get to throw away 2 new NT01's that only have a 1/2 track day on them. Good news is that I noticed the grooves (which are so perfect they look like they are part of the tire construction) and avoided some potential ugliness tomorrow.

I installed spacers tonight so I'm good but wanted to post this in case it saves someone else grief.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I had the same problem with JIC's and used a 1/2 spacer before running the car.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes, it is not uncommon for coilovers to take up more room than stock struts - if the spring length puts the lower perch near the height of the tire. I would check closely if the tire rotated the lower perch/adjuster any; if it did then cornerweight/ride height/rake will be affected. Regards.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Wish I would have been smarter on this one.

Ah, good point about checking for unintential rotation - at a glance last night that all seemed well but will check more carefully when I switch the car back to street mode tomorrow.

Luckily the coilovers are completely fine, but the lower adjustment ring sure works like a hot laser on tires.

Loved the JIC's on the track today, sucked that I had to wear the OE Bridgestone stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts