Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my hands on some 17" Cayman II 2.9 standard wheels.

That's these:

They must be in immaculate condition. Tyres on there would be a bonus especially if they're good. Cash waiting.

If you've got a mint set of these on your Cayman and are wanting to upgrade to 18's I might be prepared to do a deal with my Gen 1 18" Cayman S wheels. They are also immaculate showing only slight staining on the insides of a couple of the wheels (it seems that in their pikeyness, they don't bother to coat the insides of the wheels as well as they do the outsides). In the scheme of things, I'd describe them as stunning with original tyres on them with very little wear (10000 very mellow miles given the condition of them).

These are mine:

Cheers,
John.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Interestingly, the Gen II 17 inchers look a lot like the Gen I 18 inchers. As I just upgraded to 18" Gen I CS wheels from Gen 1 17's (which I am saving for snow tire use), I am curious why you are going for the smaller wheels/fatter sidewalls.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep the styling is why I want them as they look like the wheels that are on it.

Essentially I'm doing it for the ride. The roads around where I live are shocking. With the standard suspension + 18's it's play dodge the pothole all the time. The ride is incredibly harsh. I bought a set of cheap old Boxster 17's to see if it made things better and though initially I didn't think it did by much, going back onto the 18's really brought it home the lack of compliancy in the tyrewalls of the 18's. Sadly the Boxster wheels are slightly the wrong sizes/offsets so they're back on ebay.

The 18's do communicate better at speed and the 17's can go a little squirrelly under braking if you've got the car unsettled. However they ride much better and have less road noise. If we had good roads I wouldn't be considering it, but we don't and for the couple of upsides 18's (which only really present themselves at speed), I prefer to have a ride that doesn't mean I drive around wincing and cursing.

Add to that that I'm a bit old school in that I think wheels should be big enough to get around the brakes and no more. I'm not a fan of rubber band tyres.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm trying to get my hands on some 17" Cayman II 2.9 standard wheels.

That's these:

They must be in immaculate condition. Tyres on there would be a bonus especially if they're good. Cash waiting.

If you've got a mint set of these on your Cayman and are wanting to upgrade to 18's I might be prepared to do a deal with my Gen 1 18" Cayman S wheels. They are also immaculate showing only slight staining on the insides of a couple of the wheels (it seems that in their pikeyness, they don't bother to coat the insides of the wheels as well as they do the outsides). In the scheme of things, I'd describe them as stunning with original tyres on them with very little wear (10000 very mellow miles given the condition of them).

These are mine:

Cheers,
John.

hello i have gen 1 2008 wheels in amazing contition with tires only 5 k miles on it. they are 17 might be interested indoing a swap where are you located

alex

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello i have gen 1 2008 wheels in amazing contition with tires only 5 k miles on it. they are 17 might be interested indoing a swap where are you located

alex
I was really after the GenII wheels. Though if I don't have much luck tracking some down soon, I may look into that. I'm in Wakefield. Any pics?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.