Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding the X-73 suspension to my 13BS this winter. But since my car is a DD, I'm curious to know if anyone else has this on their DD and what the experience is. Is it too harsh for the street?

Thanks

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I am considering adding the X-73 suspension to my 13BS this winter. But since my car is a DD, I'm curious to know if anyone else has this on their DD and what the experience is. Is it too harsh for the street?

Thanks
Google search revealed this: Showing results for sport suspension too harsh planet-9

1. 981 with X73 Sport Suspension - 19s or 20s? (And some ... - Planet-9
  2. Re: Arguments against the X73 Sport Suspension? - Planet-9
  3. Sport Suspension vs PASM - Page 7 - Planet-9
  4. Re: Thinking about the sport suspension instead of PASM - Planet-9
  5. Re: Sport suspension - Planet-9
  6. Thread: X73 Sport Suspension option - Planet-9

·
Banned
3,875 Posts
its not harsh at all.. just a lot less body roll.. your harshness is set by the shocks..and changing it is a breeze..

lemon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subshooter, thanks so much for the research link. Just read them all and, just as I feared, it's a case of YMMV.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have it, it is low and stiff. PASM maybe the best middle ground for many. I have a Macan S coming for a DD, and Cayman is for sportsing.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You've obviously stumbled across just how hot under the collar folks can get over this.
What purpose would the change serve, accomplish or make for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
You've obviously stumbled across just how hot under the collar folks can get over this.
What purpose would the change serve, accomplish or make for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did the upgrade from standard suspension to X73 and love it. Not too harsh at all for DD.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
How many miles will you drive the car a year? If you plan to drive 15,000 or more you might get tired of it. Especially, if this is the only car you will be driving.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
DD'ing since delivery 2.5 months back, and I find it acceptable or better -- and I live where road conditions are poor in places. I'm taking it really slow over "traffic calming humps" however. OTOH, I also haven't owned high-end cars with "a comfortable ride", either, I think I could handle DD'ing a Morgan if my wife hadn't specifically forbade it.

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

Thanks
the standard (and best) answer is: try it on roads you normally drive on

some people will tell you thr x73 is absolutely unbearable, while there are others who find the setup perfectly fine. Personally I find the x73 stiff but not harsh. Again, find someone in your area with that setup and try it yourself first.

there will always be those who will tell you how great the handling has improved because you can virtually give them a car with zero/rock hard suspension and they would tell you that's the best handling car available. Then there are those who had trouble breaking their own records on standard suspension. So, decide on your own ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm very happy with my X73 upgrade - I did it after the fact. Car is definitely low and you have to be careful going in and out of driveways, but it makes a noticeable improvement in handling without a huge ride penalty. I'm really happy with it. The car definitely rides stiffer but is never bouncy like aftermarket upgrades tend to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just traded in a 14 981CS PASM for a 15 981 X73 PTV. The x73 is very stiff but not harsh and the shocks are better on rebound. For all around use with a few track days a year the i think PASM is a better choice. If you want a tighter track set up thats OK on the street X73 is the better choice. I was a sucker for the lower ride height. On my car the difference was 1/2" F and3/4" lower rear..carl

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 981 manual..base. I had previously owned a 987.2 and added TPC components ...the bars and links. While a little noisy, they made the car a hoot during track days. As a DD, maybe a little too stiff. Purchased a base 981 and found it to be a bit "floaty". Considered all options, but setteled on the x73 parts. Could not be more pleased. Perfect balance. I do live in east TN.we are blessed with great black top. I think it's perfect for my use. Roads you drive on are #1 concern I'd say, with intended use #2. My .2 cents..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I spec'd my Cayman GTS with X73, while not my daily, I've been driving it very frequently, and if this WAS my daily driver, I'd be perfectly content (I'm on 20 inch turbo design wheels). I've had aftermarket springs and aftermarket spring/shock combos on other daily drivers in the past and the X73 is WAY more drivable and generally more forgiving and compliant by comparison. For example, I had H&R Sport springs (NOT Super Sport) on my old 2013 F30 BMW 335i with the factory adaptive suspension, which at the time, was the most comfortable aftermarket setup I've ever had, but sometimes was pretty bone jarring....the X73 on my 981 obviously performs better but is significantly more comfortable and tolerable for me. It looks great too -- low and aggressive, but not "slammed"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts