Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have X73 measure from the bottom of the rim in front up through the center of the wheel to the fender. I think mine was 25" my gt4 is 24 3/4"F & 25 1/2 R .Using this method you eliminate variations for tire pressure. carl

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If you're gonna have people measure this for you, have them measure from the center of the wheel... not the "bottom of the rim" whatever that means. That'll get you the most consistent measurements for comparison regardless of wheel or tire size.

Reactions: X73

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Ha so you got a gt4 now? Awesome, but man I couldn't see myself liking 981 so much to trade for it like 5 times for upgrade. Kudos.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
All this is only a way to compare car to car by using a constant. It works, if one car is 1/2" lower its 1/2" lower than the other car. Its that simple and it works. It doesnt give you an actual ride height measurement. My PASM was 25.5 F&26r X73 25F&25 3/4R gt4 24 3/4/F & 25 1/2 R carl

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Centre of the wheel makes more sense. Yours depends on the wheel size and lip shape.

·
Registered
851 Posts
By your spec, I measured 24.5"f and 24.75"r.

To the centre of the wheel, 14.25"f and 14.75"r.

You might want to know what size wheels I'm running (and how big the lip is).

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Centre of the wheel makes more sense. Yours depends on the wheel size and lip shape.

That's what I said, but he doubled down. :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
19" vs 20" rims are going to be at least 1/2" difference with the same height. Rim lip, defined as distance from sealing surface to outer rim will vary with make/model of rim.

Center of wheel to fender is best and I will measure my car tonight. It was set up by BGB and is a bit on the low side and I just made that worse by adding a TechArt front spoiler, which hangs lower yet. Put it this way, my HF 1.5 ton 'racing' jack will not fit under the rear lift point and is marginal at the front. Only by using my front end air lift kit can I get the hat for the Jackpoint jackstands on under the front lift point.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like if your running 20s its a little lower. the OD of all 20s are the same . carl

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I am I following this thread correctly?
If I have X-73 and 20" Carrrera S Wheels my Cayman S is actually closer to the ground than a stock Cayman GT4?

This would not surprise me. My car looks lower when they are side by side. I can image driving a car that is 10mm lower than I am and entering and exiting off roady where there is any real incline at the curb. I have to hit most of them just right to make zero contact.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I measured mine today using the factory procedure from their measurement points. The service manual spec is X73 F=116 mm +_10mm R 143Mm+_10mm so the GT4 should be 10mm lower.

Mine was 113.88&113.08F 135.74&133.28R ..i have a custom made ride height gauge that i developed for when i was setting up my lotus. Accurate to .2mm(.008) and repeatable.

With the 10mm the height drop from the X73. The factory spec for the GT4 ride height is( F 106 +_10 = 96-116MM) (R133+_10=123-143MM) with less than 5mm difference side to side.carl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts