Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, it was 18 F, turned on the bixenon headlights and was greeted with nightlights! I had to use the fog lights to get started driving. Eventually, the lights returned at full brightness.
Is this a common occurrence at this cold a temperature? It's not that common a temperature in NJ and even less common for me to be driving in it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
How old is the battery? Those lights may draw more power than normal ones. My Boxster stays on the relatively warm garage but my other car has the same lights and they worked fine in the cold.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is original with the car. The motor had been running for a few minutes to warm up but I didn't turn on the headlights because I was parked on the street (cul de sac) and wasn't sitting in the car.

·
Registered
975 Posts
A couple times when parking in the cold I've had a thin film of frost/ice on the exterior of the headlamps causing the lights to seem dim til it burned off. Had the same issue with other cars too so never thought much of it. If its more than that or condensation on the interior of the headlamp assembly I'd see your dealer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to wait for it to get cold again and see if it happens again. It was both headlights, not just one which was more surprising. or if I see the dealer first, let them know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have an answer to this problem, as this has just started happening to my 04 boxster.

Every time I turn on the xenons there is a delay (anywhere from a few seconds to quite a few minutes), but only from cold. Once the lights have been on a while they come on instantly if you switch them off and back on again.

Both lights are in sync when they work (or not)

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts