Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Just joined P9 and this is my first new thread post...hopefully I won't screw it up :)

My question is on Xpel installation. Is it standard practice to have the headlights and hood badge removed for the install? I've seen a few pictures on the forum where at least the headlights are removed.

I asked one of my local installers and they said "With the well created Xpel patterns, it is not necessary for us to remove any vehicle badges or headlights for installation".

I feel like having these items out would allow for better wrapping and coverage. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
YES, you want them to extend the edges of the custom precut they do to tuck under the lights, take off your bonnet badge and tuck around all corners and seams or you will get dirt under all of the edges. Also when you wax your car you will get it under all of the edges and seams, once that happens it will attract dirt and you will have black edges form the collected dirt. If the installer does not know that look for another installer because you will get a bad install. Every reputable installer knowns the tricks because Porsche owners are very anal.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sounds like your installer uses the kit (pattern). For best results, use an installer that does not use the kit, and custom-cuts the material with and does wrapped edges.

Where in California are you?

Reactions: AuPanda

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
YES, you want them to extend the edges of the custom precut they do to tuck under the lights, take off your bonnet badge and tuck around all corners and seams or you will get dirt under all of the edges. Also when you wax your car you will get it under all of the edges and seams, once that happens it will attract dirt and you will have black edges form the collected dirt. If the installer does not know that look for another installer because you will get a bad install. Every reputable installer knowns the tricks because Porsche owners are very anal.
+1 for sure. Find/use an installer that cuts his own pieces. He can/make areas slightly larger to tuck well. Definitely worth removing emblem and head lights. Such an installer can do custom cuts/stuff as well. LG had a number of extra bits covered at minimal cost.

See post 172 herein http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-modifications/78334-clear-bra-not-clear-bra-9.html for LG's wrap.

:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like your installer uses the kit (pattern). For best results, use an installer that does not use the kit, and custom-cuts the material with and does wrapped edges.

Where in California are you?
Oh wow, I thought they all used kits. I'm in the Sacramento area.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Custom is the best but you have to have a very experienced installer or they will cut your paint with a razor blade. full Custom front clip with fenders and bonnet, mirrors behind side vents and behind rear wheels will run 2k+. pricey but worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Custom is the best but you have to have a very experienced installer or they will cut your paint with a razor blade. full Custom front clip with fenders and bonnet, mirrors behind side vents and behind rear wheels will run 2k+. pricey but worth it.
Yikes, razor blade cuts? Totally paranoid now :eek:

Agree that it's worth the extra bucks to do it right! :cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Removing and then wrapping is the quality way to do it.
The pre-cut kits will leave you with chips in the uncovered edges.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I believe my installer used a kit for the bumper and a full sheet for the hood and cut to fit, but he covered the Porsche crest. I now regret that as I found a Silver and Black version that would really look cool on my black Cayman S. But I am not going to cut the Xpel and have the hood redone at this time. Maybe if it ever shows dirt.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Yikes, razor blade cuts? Totally paranoid now :eek:

Agree that it's worth the extra bucks to do it right! :cheers:
Razors?? FME not so for a professional Installer. They (and mine did) have their own programmable cutter (laser??) machine. All cutting is done thereon. They can take standard kits (pre-programmed) and mod these or do separate/special patterns as you/they design.

:cheers:

Reactions: maxn99

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Also do not put ClearBra over your headlights. In a 987 it was not an issue but a very reputable installer told me that on the 991 and 981 the headlights will delaminate if covered. He found out he hard way on a 991 turbo when the headlights had to be replaced. I also found out that if your 981 has Drive/Entry if you wave your hand over the front bonnet it is supposed to open. I was also told 90% of the time the feature does not work. No clue if putting ClearBra under or over the badge effects it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Xpel's pattern program has an option to allow some excess on the edges to allow for the wrapping on the edges; literally a checkbox for the installer on the software. For maximum coverage on the panel, your installer should be leveraging this before needing to go to a custom cut sheet. On my car with the GTS Exterior Package in Gloss Black, I had parts of the front splitter and the DRLs custom wrapped in which there needed to be razor cuts done as they were not part of Xpel's Cayman templates. The rest of the panels were all Xpel templates that had most of the edges wrapped when they could reasonably be. Some of the "custom" sections like the A-Pillar and behind rear wheel bumper sections were edited on the software and plotted on extra film that would've been wasted that my installer did for free.

My headlights and sidemarkers were removed during the installation and I had my headlights wrapped with no film edges showing when re-installed. The clear film community seems to be split on the 981/991 headlight wrapping. The only pics I've seen of de-lamination was from an install where someone need razor cuts on the headlight for some reason. I could see how some of the smaller shops don't want to risk it and put in place policies to avoid wrapping headlights while some of the best shops like Premier Protective Films still do it with no issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts