Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I looked up the safety data sheet.http://www.xpel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/XPEL_Paint.Prtctn.Film_.Sealant_V1.1.pdf

I just applied it to my car. It smells strongly of organic solvents (hopefully no benzene) so best to use it in a ventilated area and to to wear chemical-resistant N-dex gloves while working with it. Hopefully it doesn't have any halogenated solvents in it.
No kidding...a lot of the fluids we have lurking in our garages are nasty as heck, and like website Terms & Conditions, few bother to read MSDSs.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just be careful amigos is all I’m saying.
Liver clears all this crap. Halogenated solvents like chloroform accumulate in fatty tisssus. Rest is up to you.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
What benefit does this provide? Protecting something that's protecting the paint? Does it make the Xpel easier to clean (it's pretty easy already)? Keep it from staining or discoloring? Educate me.

·
Super Moderator
13,980 Posts
What benefit does this provide? Protecting something that's protecting the paint? Does it make the Xpel easier to clean (it's pretty easy already)? Keep it from staining or discoloring? Educate me.
Yeah, its like washing the plastic grandma keeps on her white sofa to keep the sofa clean

Actually, there are two items, the sealant and a cleaner. The sealant is like a wax, when it does its thing, the water beads, looks pretty. The sealant will wear off. I think they say reapply every 3 months. 5 months seems to be fine. I have yet to find a reason why to use the cleaner. Just using Griot's speed shine gets any dirt or streak off the plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is description from their website. It says it has petroleum distillates but I don't know what specific compounds or solvents it contains. The safety data sheet does mention to use gloves and to avoid inhalation. 'Acrylic polymer product' could mean it is a polymer of some acrylic acid derivative probably dissolved in an organic solvent. Just be careful using it. I applied it with a sponge. After the solvent evaporated, I could see a white residue on the film that had to be polished using a microfiber cloth. I wouldn't inhale in the solvent so would suggest doing it in a ventilated area.

XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
In addition to the replies thus far, yes you should protect what is protecting the paint, you want that plastic film to remain as clear and scratch free as if it were the clear coat itself! Think of it this way, a dirty window is readily apparent because you look through from the inside, if you let the PPF get dull and scratched, so too will your perception and view of the paint it protects.

No only do I use Xpel or other PPF film sealants but I follow it with a protective coat such a Griots Best of Show detailer, nearly everyone that looks at my car have no idea it has PPF film, my efforts to protect it and keep it up help make it invisible, which is the way it should be! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I assume you do not want to get Xpel film put on a used car because it may already have minor imperfections?

I am getting some body work done and was going to have a clear half bra put back on my car, however, an installer was trying to sell my on the full Xpel Ultimate for $2600. I think I just want a new clear half bra.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I assume you do not want to get Xpel film put on a used car because it may already have minor imperfections?

I am getting some body work done and was going to have a clear half bra put back on my car, however, an installer was trying to sell my on the full Xpel Ultimate for $2600. I think I just want a new clear half bra.

Thoughts?
I was advised to do the full hood. It cost me 2100 on my new 911 for the Xpel Ultimate. It was outsourced by the dealer to a very reputable installer in MA. So far, 3 months, the film has held up very well. As I do is take my car to a touchless car wash once a week.

Half hood will leave a line which may become more noticeable with time and will not protect the hood as well obviously. I guess depends upon how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was advised to do the full hood. It cost me 2100 on my new 911 for the Xpel Ultimate.
Wow that seems pricey. I did my entire hood, bumper, and mirrors for $1300 (also using Xpel Ultimate). That was in April of 2016.

This thread reminded me I haven't applied any sealant so far but there was a small film defect on the hood that will be covered under warranty. I have it in writing so I plan on waiting for another few years before I have them replace it for free. If it doesn't look too bad, I'll probably just wait till right before the warranty expires.

Great stuff though.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

Thoughts?
The price seems high but I would not do a 1/2 hood install, not only may you see the line and sure a Murphy exists the next rock chip will occur just beyond the film... :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am still a little confused. If the dealer put a half bra on (3M perhaps), is that something different than Xpel? IOW, are there multiple products we could be talking about here?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I am still a little confused. If the dealer put a half bra on (3M perhaps), is that something different than Xpel? IOW, are there multiple products we could be talking about here?
There are many different types of paint protection films, Xpel and 3M are brand named products, they all claim to do the same thing but are slightly different in nature and quality...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have heard good things about F-Performance PPF and would like to try it. I’m a trained installer who does my own installation and have sources for rolls of Xpel and Suntek film. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information on the source of this film or where to purchase it. I can only find information from people on forums who have had it installed or installers who offer it. Very strange. I would appreciate any information on where to get it. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.