Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
So I have Xpel Ultimate on the Hood, Fenders, Bumper, A-Pillars, & Rocker Panels. It looks great on top of the Racing Yellow color, and I am thinking of adding Xpel to the Doors to protect against door chips in parking lots.

My question to the community is: Do I have the film wrapped around the front/leading edge of the door panel?

My installer said it will be difficult due to limited access to the back side of the panel, yet when I open the door I think there is fairly good access to the back side of the panel.

So what's your input? Is wrapping this edge a must have? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

:cheers:

Premium Member
So I have Xpel Ultimate on the Hood, Fenders, Bumper, A-Pillars, & Rocker Panels. It looks great on top of the Racing Yellow color, and I am thinking of adding Xpel to the Doors to protect against door chips in parking lots.

My question to the community is: Do I have the film wrapped around the front/leading edge of the door panel?

My installer said it will be difficult due to limited access to the back side of the panel, yet when I open the door I think there is fairly good access to the back side of the panel.

So what's your input? Is wrapping this edge a must have? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Leading edge should be OK if F fenders are done - Installer saw no need and had same issue.

Trailing edge of doors for dings when opening door - Yes.

My Installer said full doors are personal luxury :hilarious:choice.

Reactions: Rafiki

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think film will stop a door ding.
:confused: Mmmm, It stops a rock traveling at 60 MPH from damaging the Hood and/or Bumper.... I think it will protect the door from most damage. Maybe not all, but most....

Lime-Gold said:
Trailing edge of doors for dings when opening door - Yes.
The trailing edge is probably more important than the leading edge. Thanks Lime-Gold for reminding me of this! Must wrap training edge.

Registered
1) I have Xpel on the hood, bumper fenders and rocker panels, mirrors and door edges.

2) I curbed the rocker panel against a concrete parking island. Looked like I did major damage. Peeled off the film and there was only one small chip, able to be fixed with touch up paint. As far as I am concerned, it paid for itself for that one hit.

3) Door edge guard did not protect it from dings. I have had to touch up twice with minor chips. However, complete door coverage will provide some protection against all but the most determined people wanting to key your car.

4) I would wrap edges as much as possible. My installer did not wrap edges on my car and when I had it detailed, the slow speed orbital polisher pushed wax under the edges. Light colored wax on a black car does not look good. It took a lot of work to get the edge clean and the film to lay flat again. If the edges had been wrapped, waxing wouldn't of been a problem. I have had no issues with hand waxing the car. it was only a slow speed orbital polisher that caused issues.

My 0.02 worth.

Registered
rafiki, it would depend on the comfort level of the installer. If they cant get behind the leading edge comfortably, they cant guarantee a good install.
if you've seen them work with the material which usually needs the heat gun and other tools to smoothen the film. trailing edge is much easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts