Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that my BMW M3 is on its last legs (leading head gasket or cracked head), I have been looking hard for a used Cayman or S. Today, I found a standard Cayman (2008) that was really quite ideal, and in very good shape. 2008, 18" Carrera IV wheels, Xenon's, Carbon Package, Speed Yellow, clear plastic bra, 15,000 miles. Flawless condition. Tight as a drum when I drove it...no other Cayman driven is as good. Do not think any CPO. $43,990 asking price.

BUT, the person who had it before must have been love with yellow. Yellow seat belts are OK, but the center console? Worse (to me) was the instrument backgrounds in yellow. Against white numbers these seem impossible to read, especially with sunglasses on. I really liked this car, but can that yellow background really work...something you get used to?

- Phil

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also bought a pre-owned Cayman and it has yellow seatbelts and gauges. The have really grown on me and now I love them. Although you do mention white numbers, are these OEM?

Here are a couple of pictures of mine.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best resolution (phone).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The numbers are definitely white. I am trying to figure out how to get the pics off my phone I took of the dash, and post here. I rather like the yellow, and could be OK with them on the instruments, but need black numbers like you have.

- Phil

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Psm3

I would gladley trade you my black dials for the Yellow :)
I have been looking for the yellow for some time now.
This must have been a custom ordered cayman IMO .Nice options

i LiKE IT !!!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Given that my BMW M3 is on its last legs (leading head gasket or cracked head), I have been looking hard for a used Cayman or S. Today, I found a standard Cayman (2008) that was really quite ideal, and in very good shape. 2008, 18" Carrera IV wheels, Xenon's, Carbon Package, Speed Yellow, clear plastic bra, 15,000 miles. Flawless condition. Tight as a drum when I drove it...no other Cayman driven is as good. Do not think any CPO. $43,990 asking price.

BUT, the person who had it before must have been love with yellow. Yellow seat belts are OK, but the center console? Worse (to me) was the instrument backgrounds in yellow. Against white numbers these seem impossible to read, especially with sunglasses on. I really liked this car, but can that yellow background really work...something you get used to?

- Phil
Putting the yellow dials aside, I agree with the previous response, you should be able to find a very nice low milage S for this price. Good luck on your search.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Yellow dials, like the red ones changes from white lettering to black lettering after owner complaints. I don't know if Porsche was willing to retrofit the new style for owners of the prior style or not, if you do it yourself you cancel the warranty on those parts so don't muck it up. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have to say, there just are not many Cayman S models around. And this in the very populous San Francisco bay area. I found a few I still need to look at. But, many more 2.7s than 3.4s it seems. On the Porsche site for pre-owned cars, within 100 miles of zip code, there are just 7 "S" models, the cheapest being $41,988 (2006 w/37,000 miles, CPO). Doubling the distance to 200 miles nets one more car, and two of those are automatics. I am looking at other sources, but welcome any tips on S models for sale.

I need to find a car asap. My 1998 M3 is consuming more and more coolant (leaking head gasket or cracked head, too costly too fix for value of car), and expect in time, it will not be driveable. One car for us is very difficult, but do have a motorcycle I can use (except in rain). I visited four dealerships this weekend, driving 3 Caymans and one "S". I admit, I did like the effortless power of the S. The 2.7 is good, but the ease that the 3.4 moves the car is very nice. I'd still opt for the 2.7 if it was really the right car. Those yellow gauges are just terrible, and having a real hard time getting past that.

Thank you.

- Phil

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Expand your scope a bit. I bought my car sight-unseen from NJ and drove it 1300 miles along the east coast to S. FL. A friend of mine just bought an A3 in Vegas he found on cars.com and driving it back to NC. Find the right car that you like. It's better than getting a car that you kinda like and have to live with what you don't for a few years. Look on ebay, cars.com as well. G'luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. How do you handle a pre-purchase inspection for a car that is a long ways from a Porsche dealer?

I will look further. I did find one car, which seems to look pretty good. I would very much appreciate opinions. Don't want to keep asking if a good deal or not, but as I become more educated, expect to do less asking.

2007 Cayman S, Artic Silver, 23,000 miles. $42,590, from a dealer. Listed new at $65,780. No CPO that I can see.

M6Z - Floor Mats Interior Color
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
342 - Heated Front Seats
P12 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
573 - Automatic Climate Control
PPA - Preferred Package
405 - 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest

- Phil

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Thank you. How do you handle a pre-purchase inspection for a car that is a long ways from a Porsche dealer? . . .
One thing you can try is posting a thread in the appropriate regional forum (where the car is located) asking if anyone in "City,State" can check out a car for you, or help to arrange a PPI. I know that some P-9 members have helped out other members in that way.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you...that is a very helpful suggestion I had not thought of before. And, there are many more cars if I go out further.

- Phil

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Tips on Buying Boxster (clearly the buying tips also apply to Cayman or any other cars). By the way, to get a read on the going price of a particular car, eBay usually gives a pretty good read of what the market value is. Prices always vary, but you get an idea of what average folks are paying for a car. If you can, find someone with access to Manheim auto auction database. That will give you an idea of what dealers are selling and buying these cars for. E.g., Before I bought my Boxster, I actually found my car sold through Manheim for about $1500 less than the dealer/seller's asking price. So, I know asking $1500 off was un-realistic and I made an offer @ 800 off asking. I don't have direct access to Manheim, but there is another site that can help. PM me and I can point you.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
check you PM.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought my Cayman S 2 years ago from a dealer in West Virginia. I found the car on Ebay, called the dealer, and he assured me that it was a "no pick" car. They must have had about 80 photos online to check it out, and after talking to the sales guy for a day or two made an offer, they accepted, and I had it shipped to Houston by a trucking company. It cost $1200 to have it shipped in an enclosed trailer, but was well worth it knowing it was exactly what I wanted as far as the car (color, miles, options), and it would be protected during shipment. Expand your horizons and search nationwide for the right car; you can always have it trucked to your front door for $1000 to $1500, and there are a lot of Cayman S's to be had right now. By the way, my CS is guards red with red gauges, and it was hard at first to see the #'s, but after driving it a while you'll probably look at the digital readout in the center anyway. Don't sweat the color of the #'s and letters. Yellow gauges look great on a yellow car. Good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forgive my naive questions. What is "no pick"? Did you personally check the car, or buy based on photos alone? Did you have a pre-purchase inspection done? I am happy to buy afar, but really would want to drive and personally inspect. Seems like some are not doing that?

- Phil

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Thank you. How do you handle a pre-purchase inspection for a car that is a long ways from a Porsche dealer?

I will look further. I did find one car, which seems to look pretty good. I would very much appreciate opinions. Don't want to keep asking if a good deal or not, but as I become more educated, expect to do less asking.

2007 Cayman S, Artic Silver, 23,000 miles. $42,590, from a dealer. Listed new at $65,780. No CPO that I can see.

M6Z - Floor Mats Interior Color
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
342 - Heated Front Seats
P12 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
573 - Automatic Climate Control
PPA - Preferred Package
405 - 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest

- Phil
The advice in the responses is great. Expanding your search to San Diego L.A. Santa Barbara, Las Vegas makes good sense. If you want a CPO car you have a lot of Porsche Dealers to choose from. I am in L.A. and when I was shopping before I ordered a new CS there were a lot of used 06,07 & 08 Cayman S on the local Porsche Dealer lots. You can check their inventory online. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was in a similar situation 4 months ago. I wanted an "S" in yellow and I also live in silicon valley. I shopped CPO cars at dealers in all of California, thinking I could fly to the southern dealers and drive it home if I found one there. Prices and selection weren't so great, so I wound up getting a brand new 2008 sight unseen and had it shipped 2000 miles to my door for about $1300. I paid $48k and even got 1.9% Porsche financing.

I wasn't too keen on used cars at Porsche dealers that weren't CPOed. I figured that dealers would do their own inspection of all used cars they sell just to keep from selling a true dud. However, if the car checked out well, why wouldn't they CPO it? They have already done the work of inspection. My take is that cars not offered with CPO are somehow not allowed by Porsche rules to be offered as CPO. i.e.: non CPOed cars at Porsche dealers are practically guaranteed to have something amiss. Further, most of the cars at dealers are lease returns; first "owner" knows full well they only have the car for 2 years and treats it accordingly.

Rather than a local car from a dealer, why not try getting one for sale by individual. Craigs List is very active around here. I checked out two 2008 Cayman S cars form individuals in my search. Both were under 10k miles and both were offered around $40k. I would have taken either of those if they had been in color combinations and with equipment I wanted.

Another option is a brand new 2009 non-S (especially if you want an automatic). When shopping new cars, the entire country is open to you.

By the way, the yellow color of the instrument cluster doesn't match the yellow of the paint. That would bother me. I don't think it's too difficult to swap it out.

As for the center console in yellow, there are places that offer replacements--carbon fiber, wood, different color, etc. Removing the center console is 90% of the challenge in retrofitting the factory sport shifter, so might as well do that while you're in there. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't too keen on used cars at Porsche dealers that weren't CPOed. I figured that dealers would do their own inspection of all used cars they sell just to keep from selling a true dud. However, if the car checked out well, why wouldn't they CPO it? They have already done the work of inspection. My take is that cars not offered with CPO are somehow not allowed by Porsche rules to be offered as CPO. i.e.: non CPOed cars at Porsche dealers are practically guaranteed to have something amiss. Further, most of the cars at dealers are lease returns; first "owner" knows full well they only have the car for 2 years and treats it accordingly.
A dealer I am working with on a non-CPO 2007 S, said this, in response to an e-mail I had sent inquiring about the car.

The in service date is 7/17/2007... warranty ends 7/16/2011... or 50k miles. There is one little chip on the lip of the right rear wheel... barely noticeable. All the service work we did was just normal maintenance, the car does not appear to have been abused in any way...You are right it is not CPO'd... when there is this much warranty left we usually don't, it adds another 2 years to the warranty, but we have to send a fee to Porsche that usually exceeds what a longer service warranty costs!! This car meets the CPO requirement, so if you want the CPO it would add about $3000 to the price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts