Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Yokohama AD08R vs Bridgestone RE-71R

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rbpeirce 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m trying to decide which to buy and I’m really only interested in hearing from people who have tried both. It seems the people who have only used one or the other are pretty enthusiastic but they don’t necessarily know much about the other.

An actual experience as background. When my original tires wore out I wanted to replace them with the new MPSS but TireRack didn’t have them so I went with BSO-4s, which was a highly regarded tire. It was fine with no serious problems and I got 13 track days out of them.

When the BSO-4s wore out I replaced them with MPSSs. I was about 5% faster from the first day and eventually set a personal best that I have not matched since. I got 18 track days out of them. So, if I were comparing the BSO-4 to the MPSS I would clearly recommend the latter. Neither had any problems on track but the MPSS was quicker and lasted longer.

My driving has improved and as I’ve learned to trail brake I’ve found I can carry as much as 15mph more into a medium speed turn. That’s good but the bad part is I’m limited to how much stock negative camber I can get and I’m beating the hell out of my MPS4S outside edges. That’s important. I can’t get the camber without spending a lot of money I don’t want to spend so I need pretty stiff sidewalls to compensate.

I know these tires don’t last long but I only got 13 days out of my PS4Ss before I corded the edges. If I can get anything similar with a wider contact patch I’ll be happy.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your tires are important, so you should pony up and mod new Tarett LCA's or others. I recommend the Tarett Cup LCA's and their sold base (monoballs and a solid red thrust puck) that they support. Sooner than later, you will also see that a higher spring rate is important to reducing weight transfer. Along with adjustable swaybars. These can be installed at the same time as the suspension is apart and a competition alignment usually follows; camber of -2.7 f and -2.2 r. The adjustable swaybars will help you set the balance f to r. R springs can be installed at this time as well. Do it now before another set of tires cord out.

#3 ·
Exactly. I'm trying to avoid modifying the car at all because I'm probably going to replace the car in the next year or two. Even with the mods I'd still need a set of tires. A couple sets of tires is probably cheaper.

#5 ·
The AD08R is going to be the better choice for lapping days for someone who is concerned about tire wear.
That would be me, especially trying to get even wear. From what I've read either tire is likely to be quicker than the PS4S and the RE-71R may only be good for 3-5 days, which I find kind of hard to believe but many have said it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.