Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on these tires? I can't seem to find much on them. I'm considering some for 19" wheels. The Discount Tire website says they are "Original equipment on Bentley Continental GT, Bentley Flying Spur, Porsche 997 Carrera 4." I would assume that would mean they're pretty decent.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read the comparison test involving that tire and three others at the Tire Rack website.

SP Sport Maxx TT: Testing Dunlop's Latest Max Performance Summer Tire

Click on "Test Result Charts" at the bottom next to "Test Report" for graphs.
Cool. Thanks. That provides some good information.

I was considerin' these if I went with 19" wheels, because the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics for the 19" rear are backordered. If I go with 18"wheels, I plan to get the Goodyears. They seem to be a great value for the price.

I'm just tryin' to do as much research as I can on the different tires. The PS2's are little more than I wanna spend at the moment, although they seem to get the most recommendations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flea,

I work for Yokohama and can provide you some feed back and info on the tires from my personal experiences. I have tested or owned almost every model of Yokohama tires on my personal vehicles.

What were you looking for in the tires? (wet traction, dry traction, longevity, ride comfort) What model and year Porsche? Are you a spirited driver or planning on autocrossing or track driving? Just need some background info to help answer your questions.

The ADVAN Sport is OE on the 997 Carrera 4 and the Cayenne, Nissan 370Z and Nismo package, several AMG packages, several Audi models, Mercedes, Lexus.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flea,

I work for Yokohama and can provide you some feed back and info on the tires from my personal experiences. I have tested or owned almost every model of Yokohama tires on my personal vehicles.

What were you looking for in the tires? (wet traction, dry traction, longevity, ride comfort) What model and year Porsche? Are you a spirited driver or planning on autocrossing or track driving? Just need some background info to help answer your questions.

The ADVAN Sport is OE on the 997 Carrera 4 and the Cayenne, Nissan 370Z and Nismo package, several AMG packages, several Audi models, Mercedes, Lexus.
Well, I guess I'm lookin' for all those things you mentioned (wet traction, dry traction, longevity, ride comfort). I know that to get better in some aspects, you normally have to make sacrifices in other aspects. So I'm just looking for a good balance, but to be honest, I'm not real sure what's most important to me. The car is a 2007 Cayman (standard model). I'm a spirited driver, and will probably have a little fun in the mountains from time to time. I don't plan on takin' the car to a track. Some of our roads here are pretty good, but others have gotten pretty chewed up. Many of the chewed up areas have had attempts to repair them, but they're still not completely smooth. The tires I have on the car now are 17" Continental Sport Contacts, and they're pretty noisy. I'm definitely wantin' somethin' more quiet than what I have now.

Thanks for chimin' in. I'm sure you can provide some good information and experiences.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Advan Sport would give you what you are looking for. They are still quiet riding but going to give you similar handling to what came on the car. If you said you were looking for the best all out performance it would be the Advan Neova. The Sport will give you better ride quality and longer tread life than the Neova though. I am sure you saw the link to our tire test that we did here.
If I can help let me know.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Advan Sport would give you what you are looking for. They are still quiet riding but going to give you similar handling to what came on the car. If you said you were looking for the best all out performance it would be the Advan Neova. The Sport will give you better ride quality and longer tread life than the Neova though. I am sure you saw the link to our tire test that we did here.
If I can help let me know.
Thanks. I read the test, and I was kinda shocked to see the Continentals were the quietest set. Mine are loud. I drove another one with Bridgestone Potenzas and they were much more quiet the Continentals on my car. I've pretty much narrowed down my list to the Yokohama ADVAN Sports and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. They both seem to be fairly close to the same, but the Goodyears have the edge in most of the categories compared on your website. The biggest difference seemed to be in the weight. I was hopin' to see some rave reviews on the Yokohamas that would compensate for the heavier weight, especially since the Goodyears had the slight edge in most of the areas compared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Flea,

Sorry for the delayed response. Our corporate firewall was blocking emails from this forum. The Neova AD08 is great option as well, especially if you are autocrossing or attending DEs on a regular basis. I have a set I use on my daily driver G35 sport sedan. I was quite surprised on how much we have improved the ride comfort , noise comfort, and overall performance compared to the AD07. However, we will not have the 18" or 19" Caymen/Boxster rear fitments until July/August.

Since you are not using the car at track events, but will still be doing spirited driving I would stay with the Sport. A couple differences in the Sport vs. The competiton is the tire casing,our tires in the same size as the comp, we are wider and have a square shoulder profile giving you better handling and more contact with the road. Also we have a steel belt in the sidewall to decrease sidewall deflection during corning and lateral Gs reducing edge wear and gives better stabilty in the corners. The last point is the groove in groove technology, which is tiny grooves in the sides of the tread blocks that reduce white noise making the tire ride quiter and stiffens the tread blocks reducing tread squirm and edge wear from aggressive driving. Ultimatey these features make the tires more durable for hp vehicles.

Google/You Tube Eddie Bellows 1000 hp twin turbo Porsche run the TX mile @ 235mph on the ADVAN Sports.

The fellow pcar member in my region have been very ecstatic about the tire's performance, traction, ride comfort, noise, and longevity. I will be switching over to the Sports as soon as I can find a rim I like. I will keep the Neova AD08 for track use.

Hopes this helps

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, yokotireguy! That was helpful.

I'll check out that video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts