Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
1,509 Posts
Jack!

Welcome to Planet-9, the Friendly Porsche Forum!

Great to see you here - it's good when someone who isn't an old phart joins.. and rare.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Jack- Good to have you here. Just because you are 24, you have an equal input here. One item that needs to be discussed is the M97 engine and its pit falls. The pistons are a little oversized for their aluminum with plastic coated skirts to withstand the rigor of Porsche owners right foot. That engine design just takes a little additional knowledge to achieve your long term goal. Read up on how best to start up and heat up the engine and its oil to prevent bore scoring. Change the oil more frequently than recommended, at least every 5000 miles. Last have a ball with your excellent choice. Great job and send us your pictures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome, Jack! And I second Apex's recommendations. TL;DR is it's advisable not to let the thing idle very long off a cold start (general consensus is either just start up and roll or wait til the high-idle drops to normal) and be gentle with the noise pedal until oil temperature (not coolant temp) is at normal operating range. Since there's no good way to know that without a scanner plugged in to read it, I've seen advice to wait 5-10 minutes after coolant hits operational range to start giving it the beans.

After that point, I strongly recommend rolling down the windows and giving it approximately all the beans.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,595 Posts
Let the high idle drop, then your good to drive the car. WOT I’d wait for operating temps climb on the gauge… by driving the car normally..

·
Registered
2008 Boxster S RS60
30 Posts
Picked up a beautiful cocoa brown full leather / wood trim 987.1 cayman s over the winter. Hope to be a lifelong porsche enthusiast as I am just getting started on my journey at 24
Welcome and enjoy. Just a few things: owners manual, CTEK MXS 5.0 with comfort connect and FCP EURO. These will be your best friends.

Stay safe

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Noob question here - is the CTek worth it if you're already driving the car frequently? Mine is my daily driver (~3-5x / week in my work-from-home life), so the car isn't sitting for extended periods.
Probably not as necessary… it’s goofs like me who have two p cars and seldom drive any of them

·
Registered
2008 Boxster S RS60
30 Posts
Noob question here - is the CTek worth it if you're already driving the car frequently? Mine is my daily driver (~3-5x / week in my work-from-home life), so the car isn't sitting for extended periods.
The MXS 5.0 is a battery conditioner as well as a maintainer. While maybe not absolutely necessary for a daily, IMHO at around $100, seems like a good investment.

Meanwhile, check your owners manual or YouTube for opening frunk when battery is dead. What IS NOT in your owners manual, however, is what to do when the fuse box jump does not work. Here is where to find on YouTube:

Procedures apply to Boxster and Cayman. This happened to me, now I keep my wheel locking socket in the glove box as I was unable to remove the wheel!
Eyes up, look ahead.
Stay safe

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That’s true!! Before I bought a Ctek I could be detailing my car with doors open and I get all finished and the POS was dead…. Ya, get one 🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts