Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I remember your previous comments on the track surface at HPT. This time you forgot to mention the concrete safety barriers and how close they are to the track itself.

P.S.
Is KC PCA now looking at this Garnett track for DEs since HPT and KSW turned to duds for that region?

P.P.S.
That "flatiron corner" reminds me of the bus stop at Hallet.
I've never had a problem with the concrete barriers at Hpt, they aren't any closer than the walls on the back straight at Road America :)

I don't think KC PCA is going to use this facility due to all the potential safety issues, seriously, you make a mistake at some points and it will be the last you ever make, not sure PCAs event insurance would cover PCA. AFAIK Kansas Speedway is still the preferred spot despite its cost and how boring laps get there.

I can see the resemblance to bus stop but what you don't see is that the corner is the peak of a hill as well, check the in car videos I inserted in the Lake Garnett topic thread.

While this was a fun place to drive, I can't imagine driving it in a competitive race and rubbing fenders on the narrow roadway :) must have been what separated the men from the boys back then.

Sent from my Galaxy Prime Windows Mobile 8.5 Phone via TapaTalk

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess I have to say COTA. It's fast, it's safe, it has a nice variety of turns and makes good use of the terrain, including a couple of corners with blind turn-in points that require a genuine "leap of faith," and a 1km back straight that requires (and rewards) good brakes and faith in them. The facilities are also fabulous, as you would expect from a world-class F1 track.

I watched the race at the Circuit on TV last week. That track is spectacular. I bet it is a real treat to do a DE there. Is it in Austin area or Dallas?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
My ratings ( of tracks I have run) are Watkins Glen first ( great fast curves, but watch the close in walls everywhere), then VIR ( climbing esses), Mid-Ohio ( nice rhythm), Mosport ( flying into turn 8 too fast), Lightning, thunderbolt, Limerock, and last Pocono.

Moving out west so will able to try out the Cali tracks ( need some trees and hills around the tracks)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Dyer maker is my fav for sure what an amazing solo--one of the few tracks I can hear on repeat over and over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hmmm...In order, Watkins Glen by a large margin, Mid-Ohio and LRP tied, and New Hampshire Speedway ( the oval part is fun).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Portland International Raceway: not the most exciting track, but it is flat and mostly open, provides a good place to learn; less than 10 minutes from home!

The Ridge Motorsport Park: newer, smooth track, beautiful surroundings; great elevation gains, some technical sections, nice sweepers and safe. About two hours from Portland. Love this place!

Least favorite: Oregon Raceway Park. This is the newest track in our area and they have gone to a lot of trouble and expense to build a new track. I was surprised and disappointed by ORP: every 'straight' has a rise that causes blind spots, too many/too much off camber corners, and the final turn, just before the straight, is very unsafe! Way too many drivers have gone off, over corrected, then end up going head-on into the concrete wall. IMO, it is a design flaw.

DJM

·
Registered
903 Posts
Watkins Glen, 'cause I like blue. :dance: Flat out from T1 to the bus stop through the esses is a rush.

Like my "home" track, Blackhawk Farms, it has a great rhythm, plus higher speeds and elevation changes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Road America!
not super fast straights for my 981 but a nice combo of turns, elevation changes and scenery.
Got to be the most beautiful road course in the USA.
I've been watching races at Road America since the beginning of the circuit as a child. the course layout has long been engraved on my mind.
The chance to drive the course at flat out for me speeds is a life long dream with a state of the art Vehicle.-Richard

Reactions: RSchwerer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Driven most tracks in the northeast. The Glen was my home track for many years and the long course is still my favorite. There is a good flow to the track and the elevation changes make the back part of the course more challenging. The uphill back straight rewards power cars but good handling and car control is rewarded around the rest of the track. Every turn has a different set up and limitations and the threat of blue paint added to the car if you mess up. Because of that I think it caused me to cautiously approach my limit as a driver instead of going past it and driving the car off the track. Over time that made me a better driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
There was another post like this a few months back. My .02 ;)
We have been to a lot of facilities and for us our favorite is Spring Mountain! www.racespringmountain.com :cheers:
It is going under an incredible expansion and with over 6 miles of track is the longest track in North America and second longest in the world. More track is again being added so soon it will be longer than Nurburgring making it the worlds longest and most diverse track. As it is now there are over 50 different configurations. Borrowing their description: The race track at Spring Mountain Motor Resort & Country Club is a fantastic combination of fast sweeping corners, quick esses, off-camber turns, over 125 ft of elevation change and 4 high-speed straights including our newest half mile straight. With replicas of some of racing’s most famous corners including Mosport's 5a and 5b, the Watkins Glen "Bus Stop", and Road Atlanta's turn 1, Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew".
They are also adding so much more like shopping and recreation areas including a lake for Jet Lev and other aquatic activities. It really is an incredible facility.We liked it so much we became members there and are now looking forward to spending time with the Porsche club events held regularly there once our Cayman GTS arrives... Looking forward to taking down a few Corvettes... :)

Note: Our GTS has arrived and we are very impressed with it so far...:burnout:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well coming from the North East my choices are based according to their proximity to NY. Watkins Glen, although a 5+ hour ride from Long Island is at the top, with all of its heritage and unforgiving blue Armco, always exhilarating. Then NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning which are two very good tracks ,each with their own challenges. Both located in south NJ where you can work on taking off a few seconds off a lap each visit. Lime Rock, a small track with a pedigree, not very long but challenging to fully conquer, especially from the back straight, downhill on. Pocono raceway is reasonably close, but not a favorite. I have been as far south as Summit Point, going back again in a couple of weeks. I prefer the main track and I bring my deer license. Then there's VIR , although an 8 hour ride, something I hope to do next season.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I've only been on a few tracks here in Colorado. My favorite, by far, is Pueblo Motorsport Park. So fun diving into a high speed right hander after hitting 130 on the front straight.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts