Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6' and I find the standard seat not really to my liking in any position. I've got my seat rolled back a bit more than usual so my leg (right above the knee area) won't hit the steering wheel while stepping on the clutch. How far in are you when driving (manual)? I can't really go back too far or I'll be extending my left foot unnecessarily. Wish I could find a way to lower my seat (it's already in the lowest position it will go).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Same here. I'm 6' also...I do have the front of the seat as low as possible and with the right seat angle and position I'm just ok (but the top of the gauges are cut off). I have the powered seats and the fine tuning really helps. I did try the adaptive powered seats and they fit much better, but you can't change to them and they are rare to find in a car.

In my old R32, I actually removed the seat and adjusted the front mounting plate to lower the seat. That was a huge improvement for me. But I have not checked to see if that is practical with the Cayman.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Ditto...
Same here. I'm 6' 1" .
Set the seat as low as possible. -Thats the trick. Then set it with the right seat angle and position and its ok for me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yea 6ft here. I have my seat at the lowest possible position, seat upright, steering wheel fully extended, and slightly tilted. I just clear the steering wheel with my left knee when depressing the clutch while still managing to keep the airbag pointed at what is more or less my chest.

As you said you can push your seat back some as well though over extending the knee while clutching isn't comfortable.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I usually sit behind the steering wheel, my preferred position. I am 6 and big. Never had an issue. Seat is at the lowest position, backrest almost 90 degrees and far back. However the standard and sport seats do not provide much back support.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I found the easiest solution to this problem is the PDK. Just kidding.

I did try the adaptive powered seats and they fit much better, but you can't change to them and they are rare to find in a car
I've got a $3500 test in progress right now and I am hoping to prove this false.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am 5'11" and I like the position in my 01 Boxster except for the fact that the seat top squeeks as it rubs against the roll bar. If I get it where it does not touch then I am too upright. How can I get rid of the squeek?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I am 5'11" and I like the position in my 01 Boxster except for the fact that the seat top squeeks as it rubs against the roll bar. If I get it where it does not touch then I am too upright. How can I get rid of the squeek?
It would look like hell, but some foam pipe insulation on the roll bar might do the trick. Available in many sizes from Home Depot and other handyman big boxes. Did I mention it would look like hell? Maybe a dab or two strategically placed.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might want to try the product that fixed the squeak for the HIP Design Transparent engine cover. UHMW Polyethylene tape. See Page 12 of this thread: http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendor...esign-cayman-transparent-engine-cover-12.html

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
A little silicone spray or Armor All in the right spot might get rid of the squeak also.

I'm only 5'11" but legs must be a bit longer than normal for that height as I find it hard to get enough room between seat and pedals in many cars or trucks. It's a little counter-intuitive but raising the front of the seat a bit actually can get you some more leg room. Move the steering wheel up to match.

When the seat is all the way down your leg is basically the base of a triangle going to the pedals. Raising the seat puts your legs on the hypotenuse which is longer with the seat in the same fore and aft position.

Since you're limited on reclining the seat back in a Cayman there's a little compromise to be made there to not feel like you're getting folded in half. Raising the back of the seat can help this feeling too but at the expense of headroom.

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
I'm 5ft 6" and I keep the seat at the lowest position. I find it very difficult to find a position that is comfortable for me. I'm so used to having adjustable foot pedals in my other cars, so not having them in the Cayman really stinks. I'm constantly adjusting the seats back and forth.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
What's all this then? I'm 6'4" and have been sweezing into roadsters for 20 years now. My last car, a BMW Z4, actually had less head room and poorer visibility. I have the manual seats and would love an extra inch or so; what heaven that would be.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've got my seat a bit father forward and the back further forward than is 100% comfortable, and its harder to get in & out of the car.

BUT, thats the best position for heal/toe and for precise driving to be in.
This ain't no rap video, rollin on dub's......lols

·
Registered
732 Posts
After reading all these posts & having some minor problem [at 6' 1"] getting a driving postion that suited me....I'm glad that I ordered the optional sport steering wheel on my 07 CS. It gives you a bit more leg room & can be adjusted so the tach can be seen in full. Not your answer but useful for future owners.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so here's what i tried today and it's (slightly) better:

- slide the seat back 1 notch
- pulled steering wheel closer; since it's at an angle pulling towards me has a "lifting" effect
- adjusted seat back slightly forward

if i can lower the front of the seat just an inch or so i'd be golden. anyone know if that can be done?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts